• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chi Town- My First Trip to a Comic Con! Episode 1 In Search of My Grail!

102 posts in this topic

Thank you Steve,

It was a great pleasure to meet you, and also to do a little trading! Congrats on the new Pep 23, sweet book!

Paul

What's the scoop on the Pep #23?

Now that's a tough book to find and one that generally trades at a substantial premium (if not multiples) to guide.

Just got back home about 2 hrs ago....good to see my wife and kids. She after 3+ days with 3 and 2 yrs old boys is napping, I am sure well deserved. I most likely will download photos late tonight and get started on my report, so most of you east coast boys will get the dope in the morning.

Thanks to all about the Cap 1!

Also I forgot to mention someone earlier, so nice to meet Kenny S.(Zee) and his wonderful family.

I will suprise you guys with some non-timely gold fun as well. Till later, see at the funny books.

Paul

Well its later and here goes. I do have to say that somehow I deleted a whole or partial day of pics, not sure how but some are just gone. There are still a few, but I am dissapointed, as they had most of the freaky geaky stuff on them.

Thursday-

Mostly travel, left Eugene, OR at 1:15 set to arrive via Seattle in Chicago at 10pm....slight delay arrive at the Hyatt right around 11:30 pm..so pretty much Thursday was a peach at least untill I got to the Hotel.

Met up with Richie Evans, Ponseti, and Matt Nelson...proceeded to drink the day better.

Friday-

8:30 breakfast with Teckid, Ciorac, Steve, Mike then off to the show!

I must say walking in left me pretty stunned, the guys had to keep me from blindly buying almost anything that caught my eye, which was a lot. First things first, at breakfast money changed has, and I walked away with this baby to which I could not resist this photo opp.

Standingwithmygrail.jpg

Notice the striking resembalance to Homer..mmmmm. Cap 1...mmmm!

RichieBillAndSteve.jpg

Here is Richard, Ciorac, and his friend Steve at Bedrock comics booth

RichBillSteve.jpg

From here Bill and I decided to have a little jaunt around the playground in search of Gold. On the way we found a White Witch....Not sure exactly where bills right hand is, and he's not telling

BillwiththeWhitewitchnotsurerwhereh.jpg

Bill and I made are way over to All-American Comics where I picked up this Gerber favorite of mine.

BlueBolt108.jpg

Just gotta love L.B. use of Color and composistion!

Bill, Gator, and myself spent most of Friday just looking around taking in what was there, thinking of ways to drop our cash and laughing at the intersting people and our own dumb arse jokes.

Harley.jpg

Harleysbooks.jpg

One of our stops was at Harley Yee's, super nice guy and puts on a heck of a poker game!

AtHarleys2.jpg

AtHarleys.jpg

A few more pics of Harley's booth!

Cont...next post!

From here Bill and I decided to have a little jaunt around the playground in search of Gold. On the way we found a White Witch....Not sure exactly where bills right hand is, and he's not telling

BillwiththeWhitewitchnotsurerwhereh.jpg

How is it that at every show ciorac manages to get some convention cutie (vampy, white witch, etc.) hanging all over him? (shrug):devil:

Enjoying the report Paul...please continue!

Cont....

AtBedrocks-Gatorcheckinghislist.jpg

Here we find Gator checking his list....mmm...Where can I find a book I don't own already. I gotta say this, Rick is a truely nice guy and very fun to hang out with. I enjoyed meeting and playing funny books with him! By the way, this is at Bedrock City's booth...Pretty much our home away from home the whole show! Special thanks to Richie Evans for allowing us to intrude and pretty much make his booth and impromptu living room!

BedrocksComics.jpg

More comics from Bedrock city booth!

Of course we had many visits from various guests at the Bedrock booth from the likes of Matt Nelson pictured

mmmIthinkIcanpressthat.jpg

Of course we know what he is thinking...Can I press that to a 9.8?

Other visitors include John Verzel, Bill Hughes pictured here.

GatorBillHughesRichieEvans.jpg

These two Robin Posers stopped by Bedrock City and I took a pic!

AcoupleofBoyWonderPosers.jpg

MoreWombatphotosatBedrocks.jpg

More Funny Books!

MetronotsurewhatmattisdoingbehindFr.jpg

Not sure what Matt N. is doing behind Frank and Metro? I must say, you don't often see that many Spidy 1's! They had a set of 9.2/9.4 Famous Funnies I think 209,211,and 215...I was drooling!

MoreOA.jpgAlittleOA.jpg

Here is a little bit of OA for ya all!

Nicebunchofbooks.jpg

EricLarsonatBedrocks.jpg

Eric Larson stopped by Bedrocks hung out, nice guy!

thanks mr.schomburg, they are some great pics.

as an Australian GA collector who doesnt get to go to the beautiful comic conventions in the USA I am insanely jelous, while at the same time greatful you took the time to post pics such as these.

congrats on the grail.

ill have to think about timing a holiday to the states with the wife for next years convention.

Bennoss :grin:

Paul,

Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like a great show, I'll have to go one year. Quick question, who's booth is one with Steranko Nick Fury sketch? Looks like they had some sweet Timely's.

Thanks, Vern

Quick question, who's booth is one with Steranko Nick Fury sketch? Looks like they had some sweet Timely's.

If they are at their own booth, the crew shown is that of Terry's Comics. Terry's head is peeking at lower left while he's probably eating.

Having had another look, it's Terry's booth with the Black Cat # 50.

I am really tired, so I will leave you one final pic for tonight...most should enjoy!

Supergirl.jpg

Well I would say we need to finish the story....depending on how busy I get here at work I will try to finish up.

Thursday night a bunch of us got together and headed to Giordano's sp? for some Deep dish delight. Here is a picture of our waiter Luigi!

OurwaiteratGiodanos.jpg

After Dinner most of us went to the big Poker game! Very fun! Mike, Richie Evans top guy at his stores ended up with a tie for first place! Parker, Evans, Mike, and I all played.

Sat.

Patenleather.jpg

We ran into these tightly wraped ladies on the way to the con. on Sat.

Tedsbooks.jpg

Ted's Superworld! Nice books!

TheEmpirehadastrongpresence.jpg

The Empire had a strong presence at the show!

BatmanandFlash.jpg

Flash slowed down just enough to take a pic with Batman!

SteveBandme.jpg

Steve B. stopped by Mr. Bedrocks and I shared my grail with him. Nice to meet him in person! Got to hang out later that day at the Forum dinner!

BobbaFet.jpg

Thatshowweroll.jpg

Here we are at Quality Comix- Brent and crew hamming it up!

QualityComixnicebunchoffunnybooks.jpg

More at Brents booth...MC#1, Supes 1, and Subby 1....nice little mini run of grails!

Roy.jpg

Back at Bedrocks booth...another forum member Roy stopped by, followed by Steve 143sk

143skSteve.jpg

naughtynurseandroadrash.jpg

A little Naughty Nurse and Roadrash guy!

ReallylikedthisOApainting.jpg

Even a Timely guy like me can enjoy a nice origional painting like this!

RichiesHandmedownsIjustcouldntsayno.jpg

I just cant say no, to Richard's hand me downs! So I said yes!

Cont.. in next post!

Quick question, who's booth is one with Steranko Nick Fury sketch? Looks like they had some sweet Timely's.

If they are at their own booth, the crew shown is that of Terry's Comics. Terry's head is peeking at lower left while he's probably eating.

Having had another look, it's Terry's booth with the Black Cat # 50.

Scrooge is correct, it is at Terry's booth!

Paul, amazing comics aside it was great to meet you. But I have to tell you Ellen wanted to ride home with the blanket on her lap all the way home, and took it upstairs to bed with her. she loves it..no joke.. loves it.

I am humbled at the gesture,very humbled... and while not exactly comic book related you deserve props in this thread.

Here is Paul hamming it up with my daughter before the CGC Dinner.(where he gave Ellen a handmade personalized blanket made by his wife) And Detectivekid looking sad that he did not get a Little Mermaid blanket.. :sorry:

blanket.jpg

Thanks again to you and the wifey.

Ze-

yeah, where's my blankee!!!

great time all!

gator

Sat. Night the Dinner!

Pons.jpgScroogeandPons.jpg

Ciorac and Scrooge!

RoywithGirl.jpg

Roy with a pretty young lady!

RichieandConradE.jpg

Conrad E. and Richie Evans

GatorandRichiepart2.jpg

Gator and Richie

BillyParkerIswearOfferandacceptance.jpg

Billy Parker--Offer and Acceptance! Offer and Acceptance! For some reason he kept mumbling this! I was a witness and I can atest to John V. argreeing to the terms of trade! Pretty funny stuff!

BrentandAngelowithafewbooksnoticela.jpg

Brent and Angelo(the watcher) Notice the Larson Action 19 of Wins...wow! Also Poseti's Tec 27, and Steve's 143sk brand new Tec 29...There are a few other of Wins books like Mystery Men 22..I think the Mile high!

BrentandAngelowithafewbooksnoticela.jpg

Tec kid and Richie

MoreGrahamCrackers.jpg

One more shot of books, this one from Graham Crackers!

I really wish I hadn't lost the other photo's, some real nice ones. I think Ciorac has a few of the pow wow with John Verzel and a few others. Hopefully he will post them. The Dude was at the forum dinner, and I really enjoyed meeting him. I must say I really enjoyed meeting all. That even above my grail was the highlight for me. The kinship from the hobby, was fantastic. I am indebted to the CGC boards for my new friends, which I am sure will be old friends. All in all, I had a fantastic time.

Paul aka Mr. Schomburg!

Hey Paul,

Thanks for a great "trip" (via digital photos) ... its cool to actually put faces to names. And of course, the photos of WALLS of GA material are wicked... I didn't realize the Chicago con was such a huge deal! Will have to save some sheckles and go one year!