• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What OA Can You Get For $30K

102 posts in this topic

It's a hobby. It's a shame. Prices go up.

Heck, home ownership used to be fun too. There were programs to get the middle-class into a home in safe, rural, developing neighborhoods and houses were relatively affordable on an average salary.

The difference, though, is that everybody needs a place to live (whether renting or buying, and we both know the former ain't cheap either in Manhattan) whereas nobody truly "needs" comic book art. There are other hobbies and forms of entertainment than one can pursue besides the latter, but there is no substitute for a roof over your head!

For me, personally, it's not a question of affordability at today's inflated price levels, but a question of value. I want to feel like I'm getting something for my money and not just paying some cracked-out, ephemeral prices that aren't really justified. Also, the dollar amounts have become so large, so quickly that it's hard to just throw that kind of money around without naturally asking yourself if (a) are you nuts for spending more than the average person takes home in a year on a ___________ (Ditko ASM, KJ, etc.) panel page and (b) isn't there something better you could be doing with that money? At least, these are the kinds of questions I've been asking myself lately, and I think other people must be as well judging from the sticker shock I saw on people's faces in San Diego the other week! The look on their faces was very close to this: :o

Who is buying this stuff at 30K+? Long time collectors? Someone told me that there is some new Hollywood money coming in. Not actors, but some directors and writers. Just curious, as I don't really collect OA or follow the market.

For all the talk of these mythical Hollywood high-rollers, why is it that all the high-end, high-profile pieces keep ending up with the same dealers and collectors? I don't doubt that there are Hollywood high-rollers who own a piece or two, but I think "dabbler" might be a better term than "collector". If a $30K+ piece comes to market, who here would bet on that piece ending up with some unknown Hollywood writer/newbie OA collector vs. one of the OA "usual suspects"? (shrug)

But people can assemble nice OA collections on the cheap.

Let's say you're a "typical" comic book fan. You loved those old Ditko & Romita Spidey issues. Lee and Kirby on the Fantastic Four. Neal Adams on GL/GA and Batman. You lived and breathed the Byrne/Claremont X-Men run. You can't get enough of Frank Miller, whether it's The Dark Knight Returns or Daredevil. But hey, maybe those '60s-'80s pages are really expensive, so you'd "settle" for some more recent material, like Todd McFarlane's ASM pages or Jim Lee on Uncanny X-Men in the 1990s... :juggle:

Unfortunately, most people have to ratchet down their collecting ambitions immediately upon learning where everything is stickered at. :sorry:

It's a hobby. It's a shame. Prices go up.

Heck, home ownership used to be fun too. There were programs to get the middle-class into a home in safe, rural, developing neighborhoods and houses were relatively affordable on an average salary.

The difference, though, is that everybody needs a place to live (whether renting or buying, and we both know the former ain't cheap either in Manhattan) whereas nobody truly "needs" comic book art. There are other hobbies and forms of entertainment than one can pursue besides the latter, but there is no substitute for a roof over your head!

For me, personally, it's not a question of affordability at today's inflated price levels, but a question of value. I want to feel like I'm getting something for my money and not just paying some cracked-out, ephemeral prices that aren't really justified. Also, the dollar amounts have become so large, so quickly that it's hard to just throw that kind of money around without naturally asking yourself if (a) are you nuts for spending more than the average person takes home in a year on a ___________ (Ditko ASM, KJ, etc.) panel page and (b) isn't there something better you could be doing with that money? At least, these are the kinds of questions I've been asking myself lately, and I think other people must be as well judging from the sticker shock I saw on people's faces in San Diego the other week! The look on their faces was very close to this: :o

I thought the prices were just a wee bit on the high side myself. 2c

I'm feeling inspired today, so I dedicate this song parody to today's OA high rollers:

"Krazy" (to the tune of "Glamorous" by Fergie feat. Ludacris)

(Are You Ready)

[High Roller #1:]

If you ain't got no money take yo' broke :censored: home

You say: If you ain't got no money take yo' broke :censored: home

[High Roller #2 in Drag:]

K-R-A-Z-Y, yeah, K-R-A-Z-Y

We buyin' Kirbys

Whatever the price

Steve Ditko Spideys

Don't tell my wife

I drank the Kool-Aid

Now I'm Krazy

Like the KrazyKat, oh, I'm krazy krazy

The KrazyKat

The krazy, krazy

The KrazyKat, oh, I'm krazy krazy

skip to...

[High Roller #1:]

I'm talking Neal Adams wishes, Jack Kirby dreams

You deserve nothing but all the finest things

Now this whole world has no clue what this art is worth

I've got enough money in my wallet for this Adam Hughes

Brother gotta make enough lettuce

To support your Byrne fetish

My collection's got so many Romitas

Mike Burkey will get jealous

Paying 35 grand for the "Joke"

Your :censored: on Heritage I will smoke

So If you ain't got no money take yo' broke :censored: home

K-R-A-Z-Y, yeah K-R-A-Z-Y...

For those of you not familiar with the song, here's the video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1u20rvZvqw

It's seriously the best song ever. :grin:(worship) Now who wants to karaoke this song with me the next time around? Hari? Dave?? :baiting:

Well guys, I have to say thanks.

After the past few months, it has been very hard staying in this hobby. The prices are going through the roof and it seems to just get harder and harder to actually close the deal on a page. A great many things are sold before you can get to them. It gets frustrating just missing out on several very nice pages that I would like to acquire one after the other.

Next, it was seeing everyone and their mother have an "Art Day" of something that I would love to own, but just simply didn't have the five digit disposable cash on hand to go out and get.

And then, here we are on this thread, with alot of the people posting thoughts that are extremely similar to my own (e.g.: if the hobby is becoming one where you need $30K to buy something decent, it will be a very hard hobby to stay in).

When I am sitting there wondering what I am doing wrong and whether I will ever buy another piece of art again because a simple (although fairly covetable) panel page is going for $30K, it is nice to hear that there are others thinking the same thing.

So, thanks alot guys.

Best.

- A

I've had some of the same frustrations you've had, and the competition is such that no matter how much you've got to invest, getting the top stuff still depends on being in the right place at the right time (and, finally, at the right price). As somebody who's relatively new to collecting comic OA, but not completely unfamiliar with other styles, I've noticed the same thing is prevalent no matter the field: if you find a piece you like from an artist you like at a good price, snap it up because chances are there are other people who feel the same way you do, and many of them will likely have deeper pockets, better connections, or both (but hey- maybe I'm just a little jaded because South Bend is not the place for those connections to come in handy :whatev:). Those frustrations are also common- I'm certain there's people with $50k out there that are frustrated that a great Frazetta painting is either out of their price range today (but wasn't years ago) or not on the market, .

I'd say keep your chin up, eyes open, and you'll find some kickass artwork soon enough to fit what you're looking for. Being picky isn't bad as long as you like what you're "stuck" with (thumbs u

Well, if all you want is a Ditko ASM page (or a KJ page these days), then you might be out of luck. But $30K will get you at least several nice examples from 99.9% of other artists. It all depends on how narrow your search field is. I've found that there are all cool examples in all price ranges. It just depends on if you're a fan of a particular artist or book specifically, or if you're a comics fan in general.

Just my 2 cents...

For 30K I'd take a Wrightson Frankenstein Plate or a Frank Miller Daredevil Cover,But it really all comes down to...How bad do you want it?

Unfortunately, from the Miller covers and Frankenstein Plates I've heard through the grapevine that were available, 30K may not be enough to acquire any of them.

As of a week or two ago, you could have had a McFarlane Spiderman cover for just under 30K. ASMs are pretty much 30K+ if you can find someone to sell. Miller Daredevils are hitting 30K+ and Wrightson plates are 25K and above depending on image, etc.

As of a week or two ago, you could have had a McFarlane Spiderman cover for just under 30K. ASMs are pretty much 30K+ if you can find someone to sell. Miller Daredevils are hitting 30K+ and Wrightson plates are 25K and above depending on image, etc.

The prices are getting out of hand.

The prices are getting out of hand.

Getting out of hand or getting out of a range we're comfortable with? Who's to say they are out of hand? I too can't afford what I could in the past, and wish prices were lower. Alas, we can't roll back time.

Hari

I has seen some pretty nice stuff for less than that Barchera (sp? sorry ...) had a sweet Captain America Splash for 16k if my memory is right. I also saw hime with a ral nice Peter Parker cover for 3k to 4k. I think I could snag a real nice Thor JIM splash for less than 10k. If I had 30k to spend, I think I would end up with several pages I was real happy with.

I don't hear much about Byrne X-Men covers any more. I guess they reached the $30K mark a long time ago but have they bottomed out price wise (is that the phrase for when prices stay level?)

Clem...

I has seen some pretty nice stuff for less than that Barchera (sp? sorry ...) had a sweet Captain America Splash for 16k if my memory is right. I also saw hime with a ral nice Peter Parker cover for 3k to 4k. I think I could snag a real nice Thor JIM splash for less than 10k. If I had 30k to spend, I think I would end up with several pages I was real happy with.

Wow I would love a Kirby TOS Cap splash, do you know which one?

Clem..