• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question

22 posts in this topic

it seems like the only type of comics web site for purchasing caters mainly to high grade, high dollar books.

Pedigree, Metropolis, C-Link. etc. in fact if a book is under 100 bucks they won’t even show a scan. unless

i’m missing something why is there no outlet for raw 8.0’s to 9.4 type books? other then the obvious eBay

and here.

Check out HouseofComics.com which is ran by one of our own board members, Marc. Has a ton of stuff and is very easy to deal with.

If you are looking for SA stuff (and really it will cover a lot of stuff) check out a thread I started in the SA section of SA dealers.

Good long list that will let you peruse a bunch of books.

Arex

Hate to say it but unless you have established good resources over the past, nothing and I do mean nothing nothing beats a Convention or a Show

actually all those sites are great and all..........BUT THEY DON'T HAVE SCANS :pullhair:

I think the sad reality is that for books valued under $100, scans are almost not worth the time and effort put in, in order to actually turn a profit.

Most of the web sites scan their big dollar books because that's what pays to either hire someone to do it or to do it themselves.

However, many dealers will scan a few books on request if you are serious about buying them.

actually all those sites are great and all..........BUT THEY DON'T HAVE SCANS :pullhair:

I think the sad reality is that for books valued under $100, scans are almost not worth the time and effort put in, in order to actually turn a profit.

Most of the web sites scan their big dollar books because that's what pays to either hire someone to do it or to do it themselves.

However, many dealers will scan a few books on request if you are serious about buying them.

and here i am scanning dollar books :blush:

Hate to say it but unless you have established good resources over the past, nothing and I do mean nothing nothing beats a Convention or a Show

I wish to underscore the value of Nik's advice. If at all possible this is the way to go and for more reasons than a chance to compare prices or take advantage of a deal or sale.

No scans is a gamble on any older book.

Even scans, often just the front of the book, can leave out a lot of information.

Being able to look closely at a book before buying ensures complete satisfaction 9 out of 10 times.

If you don't like spine splits, you can avoid them.

Need the centrefold staples firmly attached, no problem, just check it out.

Musty odour really bother you, take a sniff...

We don't all live where conventions are accessible and waiting between conventions is frustrating, but if you have certain aesthetic standards for your older books, personal inspection is the key. You end up going home very happy with books you know have a place in your collection.

My 12¢

Dennis

You got it brother (thumbs u

If I can add to your statement a little.

Last year between the 2 Cons I went to, home comic shows and of coarse by favorite telephone calls from my LCS, I managed to pick up a little over 700 raw books that fit my grading criteria.

The money I saved on shipping fees, let alone disappointments from Ebay as well as other online sites and what have you from the previous year(05) paid for a good chunk of my 06 purchases.

How is this.

I managed to buy 4 Hulk 181s which cost me a little over 2k. 2 of those graded 9.4, 1 graded 9.2

I sold the 9.4s for just under 4k and the 9.2 for $1700. That pretty much paid for all my expenses traveling and even had change for food and beer :o

Yup -- it takes me 55 seconds on average to scan, crop, save a comic. If you're listing thousands of books it would take forever.

Yup -- it takes me 55 seconds on average to scan, crop, save a comic. If you're listing thousands of books it would take forever.

This is why I had this idea to build (or buy) a Double Sided scanner... I.E. a scanner that would scan both the front and back cover at the same time (or in sequence.)

Or a fixed digital camera setup with diffused lights shooting straight down (and straight up) that would shoot both sides of the comic.

This would theoretically be faster than the scanner.