• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay, hypothetical SS question

8 posts in this topic

Obviously we all have a thing for the yellow label. Lets say I hypothetically had some 9.9 or 10.0 books that I wanted to convert from universal to SS. Is it within the realm of the CGC witness to break the seal, have the book signed, and then resub the book (I guess as a reholder). I know CGC says once the slab is cracked there is no guarantee that the same grade will be achieved, but if the whole process is witnessed it wouldn't be the same as a random slab cracking. I honestly don't even know if it is possible for a SS to be a 9.9/10.0 (I haven't seen any). Forgive my ignorance if it isn't possible. I figured I would at least throw the question out there and get some opinions/answers. Have any of you witnesses ever dealt with this before?

No can't be done as a reholder. It leaves the hands of the Witness and the signer has it for just a few seconds in which damage can occur. Also in transit it can be damaged out of the holder. When a book is reholdered an actual CGC employee cracks the book right at HQ. And yes Signature Series books can be given a 9.9 or 10.

I haven't cracked one out myself, but from what I've seen, the case is fairly worthless once it's apart. The two halves don't stay together. And the inner sleeve by itself is not going to protect it much from potential damage in shipping, etc.

For an example of a CGC SS 10.0, look over here: LINK

I haven't cracked one out myself, but from what I've seen, the case is fairly worthless once it's apart. The two halves don't stay together. And the inner sleeve by itself is not going to protect it much from potential damage in shipping, etc.

Can a few pieces of tape take care of the case not staying together or is it just not worth it?

Can a few pieces of tape take care of the case not staying together or is it just not worth it?

Not worth it. Once cracked the case is useless.

I have cracked 4 9.9's for sigs in the past. And 3 outta 4 have come back 9.9 Signature Series.

I have yet to crack a 10.0 for SS.

The cracking of a blue label is risky business in any grade. Sometimes works in your favor, sometimes you lose real big on the grade.

Also there more 9.9 & 10.0 SS books out there than people think.