• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not So Fantastic

40 posts in this topic

Here's what I love...his last few posts were busting on the Qualified grade, but comic-keys has been giving his own books Qualified grades for years. Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32747&item=2186176381

• Administrator

No one complained about the thread. It was pulled because these threads go on and on exhibiting nothing different than a point that has already been made. It's just not productive and really brings the place down.

The point has been made.

Right, but some of us actually have to WORK and can't read the threads. I would have LOVED to have seen it. Did somebody save some of the links? Please don't pull threads. Thanks.

I agree. As somewhat of a forum newbie I was shocked when I learned what I did about Comic-keys. I have several times considered bidding on his auctions, but never did as I had always wondered why he hadn't CGC'd his high-grade material. Others obviously haven't been so lucky. Supapimp presented nothing but the facts - bought a book labeled as unrestored and it came back from CGC as trimmed and color-touched. Posts like this may be a rehashing for forum veterans, but they also can help new users stay clear of this bozo.

• Administrator

I understand what you are saying but there have been too many threads about the same individual. I think it would be more productive to let people know what they should be suspicious about regardless of the seller's name.

No one complained about the thread. It was pulled because these threads go on and on exhibiting nothing different than a point that has already been made. It's just not productive and really brings the place down.

The point has been made.

It's a point that should continue to be made, for the newbies to the board. This in fact was S Borock's rationale for having Dupcak around - to serve as an ongoing warning to the collecting community.

I understand what you are saying but there have been too many threads about the same individual. I think it would be more productive to let people know what they should be suspicious about regardless of the seller's name.

Come on, someone say it...

"What's the most YOU'VE ever spent on a comic book?"

The point has been made.

Dena, I dont really understand this statement. You boot a fellow who has been banned before, who comes back under another name. And you booted him this time because of a thread that got a little testy because he came back after being banned. How did you expect us to react as it was being revealed who he was?

Im glad you pulled the plug so quickly this time. Mr Nice stuck around too long last time.

But please dont chide us just cause we are stuck in the sandbox with this guy till the teacher comes back from break to kick him out again! And you know he WILL be back, unless you have devised a method to smoke out cases like this before we do by the very flame wars you dont like to see....

I run my own phpbb bulletin boards, and I'm able to ban by IP address. Unless he's dialing in or continually getting a new IP via DHCP every day, I would assume he could be banned that way. Of course, if he's using something like PPPOE or dialup, that'd be tough to block completely...

sign-rantpost.gif

Exactly. I would love to just ban an IP address and be done with it but if a user doesn't have a static IP address, there is not much that can be done.

I have a way to ban by email address; of course, there's just about an unlimited amount of free providers you can sign up with. Don't these boards require a "real" email (i.e. not yahoo/hotmail)?

• Administrator

We have an extensive list of free email domains that are restricted from registering. Nonetheless there are ways around that as well.

The bottom line is that the only thing that any board can reliably ban is style and behavior. Everything else is disguisable, although I do have a couple of technical tricks up my sleeve for the truly recalcitrant, but even those can be circumvented. Basically, though, if we see the same old junk being posted, then we toss the person out. If they manage to completely conceal their identity, i.e. including a shift in posting style and content such that they now conform to board guidelines then, practically speaking, we have banned what we wanted to ban - the unacceptable behavior.

What gets me is how people that get banned keep coming back thinking they're "putting one over" on the mods - as though temporarily hiding their identity through IP's or email changes gets them anywhere. It all eventually comes back to the same thing. Unacceptable behavior is banned. And if you manage to avoid being banned for unacceptable behavior... well... we call that "reform", because it means that you aren't indulging in unacceptable behavior. sumo.gif

So we ban violators, and we shorten the leash on anything that looks like a returning violator and ban them more quickly, and eventually they either get bored of being banned and leave or they fix themselves. confused-smiley-013.gif Either result is basically ok.

Arch