• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC vs WWChicago

32 posts in this topic

And Brother Rick as usual makes many a valid point hisself.

These days i go to shows for the business aspect: to pick up stuff and to sell stuff

After 40 years of setting up at comicons, it is work work work/.

And chatting with old friends many of whom i have known decades now - and constantly meeting new friends in this hobby

I can fully understand "comic geeking brothers" as the show i am looking forward to the most is the Oklahoma Alliance of Fandom 40th reunion to be in Oklahoma City last week end in September. See, most of my logn time comic collecting friends do not go to very many shows any more.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Here are the latest info on this ComicsFunFest:

The response to the reunion continues to exceed our wildest expectations..and there is much more to come!

Really, guys, Robert and I thank you for your support!

Now the details:

OAF 40th REUNION

Saturday SEPTEMBER 22nd, 2007

BILTMORE HOTEL

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK

9am to 9pm

www.biltmoreokc.com

Now the NEWS...

For this OAF reunion we want to re-create the feel of the mini-con circa 1970. The stellar lineup of confirmed attendees ( see below) has reinforced how incredible the dealers room will be.

But whats a con without movies?

So starting at 9 am and running throughout the day at various times ( between activities) you will see on a large flat screen TV, crystal clear, mint dvd prints featuring:

BETTY BOOP FILM FESTIVAL ... Just a few of our faves. I mean, how many time did you watch "Snow White"

and we gotta sing along on 'I Heard" and "Old Man of the Mountain"

TRACY VS CRIME INC... In Honor of the first HOUSTONCON 67; the first serial for many of us.

Selected chapters will be run as well as for the SPIDERS WEB and others.

OAF SALUTE TO BUSBY BERKELEY.. Join in while we watch JUST the musical numbers from some of

the great ones. Who will tap dance along with Cagney as he does

that great number from "Shanghi Lil"?

OAF FAN FILMS .. Nows a great time to share your past achievements! DVD or VHS. bring em!

Other black and white films: TBA

OAF SALUTE TO OLD TIME RADIO !

Robert will be bringing an original transcription disc player and original radio discs, and we will be able to sit around and hear radio shows JUST IT IT WAS 60 years ago. Epsiodes of SUPERMAN with the Pep commercials is scheduled and others TBA ... ! Lots of FUN!... Its like hearing it live!

INCREDIBLE GOLDEN AGE AUCTION !

This will be a Big event.. Lots of $$ will change hands and people will get great deals!

ONLY material from 1967 or earlier. And stuff that you will start off at ridicliously low bids. Clean House guys, Groups, boxes or Lots sell best at these events. Coverless Golden age is good, Mapback lots, lobby cards, big little books, newspaper comics, series books, pulps, artwork, .whatever you can start off low! ; This will move fast when we start.

BUSINESS MEETING...

After lunch we will pause our dealings while we conduct a short business meeting, give out door prizes, bestow awards on various attendees, and run a lightning round of comic/movie trivia with PRIZES for all. !!! We will pay respect to fallen OAFs, and congratulate some OAFs on their achievements in life! Did I mention birthday cake?

SHOW AND TELL

I hope everyone will bring something from their collection to brag on. We're collectors and we understand fans passions. Who will bring their most treasured obscure comic book titles to share? How about some Killer lobby cards, autographs, radio premiums, artwork, pulps..whatever.. Bring out that hidden from human eyes item you've waited your whole life to show off !! We're here to be your audience all day long!!!!!!

THE ENTIRE SHEBANG ON VIDEO

Thats right, true believer! We are going to video tape the entire show! One table will be set up with a camera

where you and your friends can relive old memories and talk about the good old conventions or share a moment with someone not at the reunion or sing the theme song to I Love Lucy.. whatever.. But Keep in mind this video will be transfered to DVD and sold to OAFs nation wide! We also will be running around filming the tables and etc. 6 hours of DVDs from the reunion! Everyone gets filmed! Everybody is a star!!! Lights..camera.. wheres the guy in the Captain America costume...???

OAF CON SUITE STARTS ON FRIDAY THE 21st.

Hey guys! Even tho the reunion doesnt start till Saturday, I will be hosting a get together FRIDAY night

in my hotel room which will also serve as the con suite. FREE BOTTLED WATER, FREE BOTTLED SOFT DRINKS, and Munchies available FRIDAY ( STARTING AT 6 PM) and ALL DAY SATURDAY in the con suite for all OAF members !!

And there is more to come .. ITS GOING TO BE ONE HELL OF A FUN DAY !!! Historic in the making! Memories everlasting!!

Now check out this list of CONFIRMED attendees:

ROBERT BROWN.. the Godfather of OAF bringing amazing MOVIE paper

BART BUSH ... with golden age and some cool artwork

ERIC GROVES... bringing the best in golden age!

DON MARIS .. with his incredible memory and some amazing collectibles !!

GRANT IRWIN ... coming from Little Rock, known as fishnuts on ebay

CHRIS KELTNER... long time wichita fan who loves the classic comic artists!

JOHN BRYANT... his complete set of Rex the Wonder Dog should be seen

BOB BEERBOHM.. whatever Bob brings it will WOW us. He has killer stuff

JOHN MCMAHON.. rare books, pulps, only the finest illustrated items! bring your glasses

MATT CURTIS .. 1st editor of OAF. last public appearance 30+ years ago,

BRUCE SHULTS .. All Popeye All the time. Did I mention he likes Popeye? And Thimble Theatre too

STEVE FEARS.. Renouned DC War Comic expert. Publishes CD fanzines on comic artists.

CHARLIE FREDGREN .. Coming from California with a gazillion dollars in his pocket and some great stuff

ROGER HILL .. Comic Art. Fan of extreme magnitude! He will bring artwork so your eyes can bleed.

RICK PAYNE.. Has great stuff as always. Where does he get it? A suitcase of gold awaits us!

JOHN WOOLEY .. Author, Columnist, Adventurer, Musician, Wild Animal Tamer. Some of those anyway

JIM MILLAWAY ... Pulps, Paperbacks, old written things on ditto masters. He likes it all.

SCOTT HURST.. Long time Simon-Kirby fan, Was a HCCAN member, but we stole him away

RICHARD SHERER .. Old time radio and old time music are his favorites. He knows a lot about it too!

TONY SMITH .. Art dealer, Comix fan, life long Houston Fan. Collects comic book racks, too!

KEN DONNELL.. Collector and fan of comics, serial, movies, you name it. One of the FUN guys!

WILLIE PATTERSON .. Collector of amazing things. What Willie brings will probably make your chin drop!

ROY BONARIO.. THE Godfather of Houston. Bless you for coming Roy. you wont regret it!!

BILL COBLE .. Our Milton Caniff expert plans to attend. Terry & Pirates stuff on display!

JERRY WEIST.. Thats right.. The Sothebys Comic Art & Book expert, and E.C. collector supreme!

25 and counting! WOW. What a line up. And still waiting to hear from; WILT CONINE, BRUCE WEBSTER,

RANDY COX, HARPER BROTHERS, TANNAR MILES, GORDON BAILEY, MIKE TEMPLIN, LARRY LATHAM, ALVIN NAIFEH, CHARLES RICE, IKE WILSON and some SURPRISE others who most likely will attend.

More news later... in OAF REUNION update #4 in a week or so..

Remember the hotel is just a few blocks from the OKC airport.,. we will pick up anyone flying in!! Just let us know..

And the CONFIRMED list continues to grow.....

the latest group being...

JERRY WEIST

JOHN HARPER

LARRY LATHAM

STEVE BARKETT

RICK SCOTT

BUD PLANT

Yes, Bud Plant!! And he is bringing stuff for a table ~!~

Not new stuff, but rare old things from his collection... !!

This "Non-Con" © 2007 Grant Irwin,

is getting better by the day! Larry Latham !!! Bud Plant !!! wow!!!!!!

More surprises coming~!

Spread the word to the old comic fandom friends !!!

All are welcome!!

See you later in OAF REUNION UPDATE #6....

GREETINGS OAF members:

The Reunion is getting more special with each passing day!

Here's the latest in our featured activities:

40 YEARS OF SQUA TRONT

In September 1967 the first issue of SQUA TRONT debuted.

Jerry Weist , Roger Hill and Chris Keltner are planning to present a special 40 years of Squa Tront display exclusively for our reunion ! Potzerbie!

Squa Tront #12 was just released this Summer, as EC fandom continues to have the most professional looking comic-related fanzine! This unique display will be a once in a lifetime celebration! Bring your cameras! You'll want proof you were there!!!

READ 100 GOLDEN AGE COMICS !!

That's right, comic book fans. I will have 100 golden age comic books at the show that you can sit down, prop your feet up and read!! No kidding. Not a hoax. Not a dream. Sit back and read Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Sheena and others.. Smell the pages. Fold the pages back while you read. Enjoy them. Isn't that why we collect them?

POPEYE ADDED TO CARTOON FESTIVAL

As well as showing the best of Betty Boop, Bruce Shults will offer his choices for the Best of Popeye cartoons. These will play Saturday morning, just like cartoons are supposed to. And we'll sing along, too.

CUE EM UP THEATER

A group of cartoons, shorts, musical numbers,serial chapters, fan films, and selections that YOU bring along. We would like to play your faves. DVD preferred, just be ready to "cue-em-up" and entertain us!

SHOW AND TELL

This portion of the afternoon celebration will feature items YOU bring to share! We want to see what you think is cool, special, neat or whatever from your collection. Bring several items if you wish. This is the one time you can show off your stuff and really have an appreciative audience!

AND FINALLY...

This reunion is going to be a special event in the history of comics fandom, and I feel it needs to be documented. Are any of you interested in filming a documentary, specialty program, or know someone who would like to film our reunion as a school or otherwise project? There is going to be a lot of stuff that will never be seen again and that alone would make a great interview material. Contact me if you got some ideas.

There's more news with the events ....the lightning round of trivia, the OAF awards and the fun prizes but I'll wait till OAF REUNION UPDATE #7 to share those surprises!

More later, gang!

LIGHTS...CAMERA...ACTION.....

My dream has come true. The reunion is going to be filmed as a documentary by professional filmmaker and current editor at KOTV Ch. 6 in Tulsa, Jonathan Wooley and his video crew!

Wow.

The uniqueness of this event and the material that will be present for video and audio consumption will be spectacular in an unfolding sort of way. Here is a chance to show & talk about your collection that will be preserved for all eternity. You'll have your chance for 15 minutes of fame if you want it! Time to bring out the best, guys! That cool original art, posters, comics, books, paperbacks, pulps, toys and those hidden grails you never let anyone see...

Several years ago a cult video hit the market called "Trekkies". While we're not "Oafies" we do have nostalgia-collecting life styles that will be inspiring and interesting to those who watch the documentary! I know we can 'wow' em guys!

WERE YOU AT MULTI-CON 70???

Don Maris filmed some 8mm at Multicon 70 and recently put it on DVD. We will show it at the reunion!~!!

The DVD of MULTI-CON-70 has a lot of people We Cant Identify. Perhaps You are one

of these people and You can recognize Yourself from 37 years ago.

SOME of the people we do recognize are, LARRY BIGMAN, CAZ CASADESIUS RUSS COCHRAN, BOYD & DEE MAGERS , ROBERT & HATTIE BROWN , BART BUSH,JOE BOB WILLIAMS, BUDDY SAUNDERS, BOB BEERBOHM, MARC SCHOOLEY, DAVID SMITH, LARRY LATHAM, ROY BONARIO, G. B. LOVE, TERRY STROUD and DON MARIS.

BUT, YOU COULD BE THERE TOO. COME WATCH THE FILM AT THE REUNION

AND BUY ONE OF THE LIMITED COPIES.

And there is still more to come! A list and schedule of all the events, who's attending this shindig, and yet other surprises!

See you in OAF REUNION UPDATE #8 in a week or so....

Bob, this sure sounds like it's going to be a FUN event. Too bad I no longer live in OKC otherwise I would there with bells on! Have fun and please please please do report on the show and what the guys bring for show and tell. (thumbs u

The above listings of comics fans are all well known to me, but how many here have heard of that many of them

- but back in the day, we were whirl-winds at the shows 30-40 years ago/

This is a comicon for old time colletors - and collectors of older stuff

you should fly in for the day - it is just a one dayer

Bob, how many of these old-time collectors still have extensive GA collections that have not been on the open market for decades?

All of them have complete high grade pre-Batman Detective runs. It is a pre-requisite to being considered an old-time collector. It will be truly amazing to see 25 complete runs of Detective 1 - 26 in 9.0 or better raw in one room. I personally cannot wait!

Bob, how many of these old-time collectors still have extensive GA collections that have not been on the open market for decades?

All of them have complete high grade pre-Batman Detective runs.

and the old-timers that don't, simply have the runs.

lol

If Bedrock's right, then the "old timers that don't" can use my run as toilet paper for their runs, since that is about what my collection would be worth.

If Bedrock's right, then the "old timers that don't" can use my run as toilet paper for their runs, since that is about what my collection would be worth.

lol

:takeit: (the pre hero Tec toilet paper that is) :grin:

All of them have complete high grade pre-Batman Detective runs. It is a pre-requisite to being considered an old-time collector. It will be truly amazing to see 25 complete runs of Detective 1 - 26 in 9.0 or better raw in one room. I personally cannot wait!

I agree - thanks for pointing out the secret code for entrance into old time collector's club

lol

:takeit: (the pre hero Tec toilet paper that is) :grin:

:banana:

when one gets older, matamucil becomes the drug of choice, so they tell me