• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What OA can you get for $300

97 posts in this topic

Boy, had to dig deep to find this thread again. . . .

This is a hard hobby, because it creates a very deep conflict within me. On the one hand, I like to think I'm getting a decent price on whatever I buy. On the other hand, in this hobby, there are precious few bargains left around.

That's why this particular thread was so interesting. Sure, you can buy some great art for $100K or $30K or even $3K, but $300, its pretty hard to find something decent for that kind of money today. And to be honest, I thought many of the pages, especially the Jusko splash, are just amazing for this kind of money. So, I've been trying to find something for $300 that I liked.

Well, finally, here it is.

I mean, it's no Mike Zeck double page graphic interleaf modern art spread, but is is my first Byrne page, it is a nice shot of the FF fighting Terrax, it is over 20 years old (wow, how time flies), it meets the criteria of under $300.00, and I just bought it, so I'm posting it here.

ffpage.jpg

Enjoy!

- A

While I know a lot of people shy away from modern art, here's a piece I picked up recently for 250. It's a New X-Men TPB cover by Aaron Lopresti

NewX-Men20.JPG.jpg

Although my interests lie mostly in pre-1970s work, I've nothing against modern art providing there's noticeable talent in the work (some artists dazzle you with technique, that helps disguise the fact that the basic drawing skills leave a lot to be desired).

Anyways . . . picked this up on eBay within the past year at around the $300 price-range for this thread:

54d7ktv.jpg

Unpublished PULSE # 2 cover by Mike Mayhew

Mayhew's one of the few 'modern art' guys whose work actually excites me . . .

Really nice Jusko piece Stronguy. (thumbs u

I agree with Mister Trent about Mayhew's talents. I've seen lots of impressive stuff from him (including your Pulse cover). He's on my short list of someone I'd like to get a nice page from someday.

thought I'd give this thread a bump since this page was under $300.

second pic is with overlay showing light burst.

JLA: Act of God splash page from issue 1. by Dave Ross w/Freeman inks.

JLAActOfGod101.jpgJLAActOfGod101WithOverlay.jpg

While I know a lot of people shy away from modern art, here's a piece I picked up recently for 250. It's a New X-Men TPB cover by Aaron Lopresti

NewX-Men20.JPG.jpg

Although my interests lie mostly in pre-1970s work, I've nothing against modern art providing there's noticeable talent in the work (some artists dazzle you with technique, that helps disguise the fact that the basic drawing skills leave a lot to be desired).

Anyways . . . picked this up on eBay within the past year at around the $300 price-range for this thread:

54d7ktv.jpg

Unpublished PULSE # 2 cover by Mike Mayhew

Mayhew's one of the few 'modern art' guys whose work actually excites me . . .

Wow, that is awesome

Great thread. Here are a few pieces that I got for less than $300.00

Hey, the name of this thread is "What OA can you get for $300", not "What OA could you have gotten for $300". :baiting:

Can you really get a Bagley ASM splash or Lim Silver Surfer splash for $300 these days? (shrug)

I have actually been looking to pick up a Lim Surfer Splash over the past 3 months. The two that have been on EBAY (one piece has been up twice and one up 3 times) I have been the high bidder on, BUT, reserve was not met. In each instance my final bid was between 300 - 350; the bidding was pretty active with a range of 14-24 bids per auction.

Both sellers also emailed me after the auction to stipulate what they would let the piece go for and I responded with a sorry not interested at that price.

So Gene to answer you question, no you can't currently get a nice Lim Surfer Splash for $300, but I'm not sure that such a piece is worth more than 300 either. :juggle:

Great thread. Here are a few pieces that I got for less than $300.00

Hey, the name of this thread is "What OA can you get for $300", not "What OA could you have gotten for $300". :baiting:

Can you really get a Bagley ASM splash or Lim Silver Surfer splash for $300 these days? (shrug)

I have actually been looking to pick up a Lim Surfer Splash over the past 3 months. The two that have been on EBAY (one piece has been up twice and one up 3 times) I have been the high bidder on, BUT, reserve was not met. In each instance my final bid was between 300 - 350; the bidding was pretty active with a range of 14-24 bids per auction.

Both sellers also emailed me after the auction to stipulate what they would let the piece go for and I responded with a sorry not interested at that price.

So Gene to answer you question, no you can't currently get a nice Lim Surfer Splash for $300, but I'm not sure that such a piece is worth more than 300 either. :juggle:

Well since you gave me an opening, I believe you are wrong, you can get Lim Silver Surfer splash for $300, it just depends on which one. For example, mine:

http://cafurl.com?i=6226

can be easily had for $300 in fact, I would take less, so feel free to make me an offer :grin:

Malvin

Got all 4 of these pages for $300 shipped. Cool Empire page, double page splash with azrael and the cover to azrael #25. I have significantly added to my Kitson and Tony Harris collection in the last couple months without breaking my small local bank

Empire6InksPg2.jpg

azraelspread.jpg

azrael25.jpg

Updating this thread to show what I received this week

th_mtu109.jpg

Late Superhero Bronze Age page, a fun Spidey action by Herb Trimpe for $100...

Lots of stuff still out there if you look (thumbs u