• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on All Stars issues

50 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I’m on an All-Stars kick right now. What is everyone’s opinion … I’m thinking of picking up a Golden Age All Star Comics issue. Assuming the grades are all the same would you recommend #44, #45, #55 or #56. I like the covers to all of them!

Hi All,

I’m on an All-Stars kick right now. What is everyone’s opinion … I’m thinking of picking up a Golden Age All Star Comics issue. Assuming the grades are all the same would you recommend #44, #45, #55 or #56. I like the covers to all of them!

45 no doubt! I just started my run and that is the issue I started with! :banana:

#56 isn't too bad either if you are into the sci-fi covers!

I prefer the covers to 45 and 56 from those 4. Can't decide which one is my top choice. I like the robot a lot but on the other one you've got more members pictured on the cover with WW front and center with her lasso ...

I think the toughest All Stars are the 33 Solomon Grundy issue and the 36 with Batman and Superman on the cover. I see two CGC copies of each of these books being offered by a big time dealer at multiples overguide as you can imagine!

I think the toughest All Stars are the 33 Solomon Grundy issue and the 36 with Batman and Superman on the cover. I see two CGC copies of each of these books being offered by a big time dealer at multiples overguide as you can imagine!

2 of my favorite....outside of the 3, 8 and the Bails run I got from 50-57, those are the only 2 issues I own :)

but make no mistake, while 36 is very popular and offered for sell less times than not, I saw 5 copies of #33 in Chicago, and a high grade one on ebay this week, plus several 33's are available on major dealers sites...so, it is actually very common (at least this month)

gator

I meant one copy of the All Star 33 and one for the 36! Those two are among the marquee issues in the All Star run!

I agree completely....outside of 3 and 8 (and maybe 13), 33 and 36 are the 2 best of the run...but, I was "shocked" at how many issues of 33 I have seen for sale recently (at least 9) and only 3 copies of the 36 (seems to have more demand due to the Bat and Supes cover xover)...

compare the grundy 33 to say, the AA 61, and then we are talking "scarce"...

gator

I understand that scarcity of certain comics is always an appealing factor. With any other run of GA DC's I would say it certainly should factor into a decision. With the All Stars though its all about buying the books you like. Just like Rick said even the rarest All Stars (36,57) are common compared to the rarest DC's!

If you want rare you have to run as far as you can for GA All Stars! If you want truly classic and iconic books then that is a different stories.

I too am very fond of 33 :cloud9:

36 is scarce due to demand - there are many superman collectors who want a 36 for obvious reasons - driving up the price on that one issue - supply is one thing, demand rules the day

and the ole batman collector like me :)

gator

36 is scarce due to demand - there are many superman collectors who want a 36 for obvious reasons - driving up the price on that one issue - supply is one thing, demand rules the day

and the ole batman collector like me :)

gator

oh, yeah, forgot to insert that Bat-Guy into the mix. (shrug)

my bad

just furthers my point that 36 is driven by demand and is not necessarily scarcer than any other issue - in fact, i personally think 36 to be probably more in supply than other issues around it for the simple concept that Supes & Bats dominate the cover and story thish (fan short hand for this ish)

Demand always drives the price of most anything, not supply

Gator,

Are you saying the AA #61 is hard to find v. AS #33? I think so but curious what your thoughts are. What about Solomon Grundy's other appearences? Thanks dude.

Coming from 40 years of dealing comic books, i have always found AA 61 to be truly scarce - it has always been waaaaay more difficult to find - especially when i was actively looking for a copy many moons ago in that galaxy far far away

Gator,

Are you saying the AA #61 is hard to find v. AS #33? I think so but curious what your thoughts are. What about Solomon Grundy's other appearences? Thanks dude.

to echo BB....I have only seen 2 copies of AA 61 for sale in the last 2 years....I saw 9 copies of AS 33 in the last 2 weeks....so, AA 61 is truly scarce/higher demand, but the AS 33 is Gundy's last GA appearance, I believe, and is likely the 2nd most desired grundy GA book

rick

Yeah, I've been looking fo a CC #13 for awhile. Good to hear about "my" AA #61. Even though it is restored, it's a beaut. Have to post one day...

definitely post...restored or not, it is a cool book to have

rick

Gator,

Both Bob and Rick are absolutely correct here! (thumbs u

Major dealers have always been offering healthy premiums or even multiples for HG copies of AA #61 for as long as I can remember. Needless to say, they have not had much luck so far.

Apparently, John Veryzl's Church copy of AA #61 is supposed to be an absolute killer copy and from what I heard, might even fall in the 9.8 range. :o:cloud9:

Gator,

Both Bob and Rick are absolutely correct here! (thumbs u

Major dealers have always been offering healthy premiums or even multiples for HG copies of AA #61 for as long as I can remember. Needless to say, they have not had much luck so far.

Apparently, John Veryzl's Church copy of AA #61 is supposed to be an absolute killer copy and from what I heard, might even fall in the 9.8 range. :o:cloud9:

it is funny you mention the church copy...JV and a group of us were talking about it in chicago...he told us his MH AA 16 is a 9.4 or so, and I believe he said his 61 was just about perfect!

gator