• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculator Risk

112 posts in this topic

the reality is that if you aren't ready to make some concession, or grease some plams, it just doesn't matter who you are, or what you represent on the geopolitical map; Bush is just not interested in hand-outs.

And neither am I, but who is other then the people receiving the hand-out? Canada and our other "allies" can take care of them selves unless there's something in it for us. I'm all for staying out of other countries business and wish we would do it more often.

4. Bug... seems you have a personal issue with him presently. I don't need to get involved. I'll only mention that I like him and his presence here overall. I feel he's a fair-minded guy, and adds a much-needed element of "comic relief" (no pun) even if some of his posts are not comic related. I also think that from what I notice, he has certainly offered more comic-related input as of late compared to his early days.

I agree. Since bug completed his race to 10,000...he vowed to (and has) contributed more positively to the forum, while still helping lighten things up a bit (which is sorely needed these days).

Bruce, I'd appreciate it if you would please refrain from speaking for the forum?

Different strokes for different folks, and I could really care less what insipid CGC 9.8 book you're after, yet I left that zillion-post BSD-fest in Marketplace go on without a single negative comment. Bug is a pin-brain of the highest order, and the only reason anyone feels otherwise is because he hasn't felt the need to stalk you yet. I see his behavior as very negative, as he provides 0.000001% CGC/comic-based content.

What you perceive as "negative" may not be what I perceive as same, and vice versa. The only difference is that you're attempting some form of vigilante justice and assuming to talk for CGC, the entire forum and the collector community. Go speak in condescending tones to your kids if you want to feel like a big man.

Otherwise, let CGC run their boards, and you can go back to stacking your CGC comics.

OK, the mixture of back and forth is getting blinding. Between Bronty and comicswiz discussion about geopolitical matters and BB13 and Joe discussion about the thread topics I am getting confused. Is BB13 banning Canada from trading its lumber and salmon with the US or is Bronty the one that keeps harping on the current investment condition of the US military.

confused.gifinsane.gifgrin.gif

Bruce, I'd appreciate it if you would please refrain from speaking for the forum?

Different strokes for different folks, and I could really care less what insipid CGC 9.8 book you're after, yet I left that zillion-post BSD-fest in Marketplace go on without a single negative comment. Bug is a pin-brain of the highest order, and the only reason anyone feels otherwise is because he hasn't felt the need to stalk you yet. I see his behavior as very negative, as he provides 0.000001% CGC/comic-based content.

What you perceive as "negative" may not be what I perceive as same, and vice versa. The only difference is that you're attempting some form of vigilante justice and assuming to talk for CGC, the entire forum and the collector community. Go speak in condescending tones to your kids if you want to feel like a big man.

Otherwise, let CGC run their boards, and you can go back to stacking your CGC comics.

You lost me honestly... I'm not speaking for the entire forum...I'm speaking for myself and including those that seem to agree. If my post sounds otherwise... it was not my intention. Keep in mind I suggested an exploratory poll.

I have no idea what BSD post you're talking about, nor do I think I'm behaving in a manner that is anything but constructive and in the best interests of our boards. I'm making "suggestions" to solve these continuing problems that are annoying more than myself and are also driving away forum regulars that I enjoy interacting with.

Also, I rarely talk about the books I have (certainly not a high percentage of them), what I buy at, and sell for either. Those that know me better can attest that I have far more than I talk about here. Having keys I love in 9.8 does not make me any better than a fan who reads/collects raw books... and does not mean anything really. I would like to share more sometimes, but am aware it could seem pompous if I did.. and used against me unfairly. I can just imagine what unfair, cheapshot remarks you might have said if I had shared what books I have more often. I collect/buy to satisfy myself and my goals, not to put others down (that's not my gig bub). I also don't feel the need to brag about what I have and don't consider myself a BSD. I just work hard at what I do, network, research and am happy with the results.

...as for my kids, leave them out of your comments and don't do it again. That was an AH thing to say. I'm sure you would not care for it if I suggested you to criticize your wife instead of HG CGC collectors so you can feel like big man... so have some class.

To try to get this thread back on topic (or maybe it's a lost cause?)...

Do board regulars have any prognostications on how a "CGC crash" might affect the value of raw books, and/or books (slabbed or raw) in the 7.0 to 9.0 range?

I've felt for some time now that, even if the price of (to use a popular example) Hulk 181 in CGC NM 9.4 were to drop by 80%, the price of Hulk 181 in VF 8.0 - slabbed or otherwise - would not drop by much, if at all.

1) The distance to the ground is much less

2) The number of people who can afford a copy of Hulk 181 in VF is far greater than for the same book in 9.4

3) There seems to be so little connection between the two (a book in CGC 9.4 and a book in CGC 8.0, or raw 8.0) that a 'crash' in the CGC market might not even impact / influence a lot of non-CGC collectors.

Any thoughts on this viewpoint?

...as for my kids, leave them out of your comments and don't do it again. That was an AH thing to say. I'm sure you would not care for it if I suggested you to criticize your wife instead of HG CGC collectors so you can feel like big man...

You just did bonehead.

And believe me, I never suggest that you 893censored-thumb.gif, oh believe me, never ever would I suggest that.

For example, with Harbinger #1 selling on eBay for $25,

A $100 investment in 1992 on Harbinger #1 (50 copies at cover price) would be

more valuable today that almost any other comic book "investment" available

at the time.

Smart people sold at the apex, then used that money to buy more funny books. I also have a stack of ASM 300 that I wouldn't trade for double the amount of Harbinger #1's. I don't normally speculate, but Big Mac and a 300th anniversay issue?

Realistically, all $2 and $3 comics today COULD BE fillers in tomorrows $0.10 bin. But, if you consider the $2 to $3 as an "entertainment fee" and not investment,

I agree with this, but I fail to see the "entertainment value" in a CGC slab. Do you toss it like a frisbee or use it as a coaster?

Joe, I wouldn't call owning a stack of ASM 300's speculation...you're golden...lol. I have my 9.6 put away until Spidey 3 at least (Venom HAS to be in that one, right?), and maybe forever. That's the one book I would consider never selling, cause Venom, when he's done right, is the best comic villain out there for me.

Joe, I wouldn't call owning a stack of ASM 300's speculation...you're golden...lol.

Yeah, it's very rare I speculate on new comics, since I know what a crapshoot it is. And even when I did buy new issue multiples, it was from the "last week's discount aisle". ASM 300 and X-Men 283 are two I remember quite well from the '90's'. Oh yeah, and let's not forget that big stack of Wolverine #1's at half-off that I picked up and then put back. 893frustrated.gif

I also should take my own advice more often, since I was recommending (on my site) to buy multiples of USM starting with issue #3-4, I believe. Didn't take off for a bit, but from past experience, I had this feeling it would zoom. That was when USM #1 White's were $15-$20 a shot. 27_laughing.gif

Well, the real problem is the complete erosion of our military, isn't it? If we could depend on ourselves we wouldn't need to worry about greasing palms. That's the crux of the problem.

On the contrary; I worked for the Dept of National Defence as research assistant to the Colonel Commandant Royal Canadian Armoured Corps. It was my first job out of University. I was a civilian in the WORLD of the Canadian military. It was a contract position that happened to occur at the time the Toronto Downsview military base was being decommissioned. The feds cuts in the area of military spending seemed to really bring out the sentiments of a changing guard. The chink in the armor was quickly starting to show like a rusted old car, and on the rare occasion, the views and opinions of a mandarin of the Canadian military were made loud and clear.

The problem historically has always been the Canadian governments buy-in to the notion of American military build-up. Canada could never keep up with their budgetary allocations, and was terribly disillusioned to believe it ever could. I'll say this again; in the new world order, strength will no longer be dictated by weaponry and arsenal, but rather economic strength and viability. The Bush administration is just not ready to accept this fact, and is hanging on to its old guard mentality for dear life. The politics of distraction and diversion seem to have fooled everyone, except a relatively conscious few.

Dan, did you ever stop to think how an oil crisis could change the US govts position in its race for superiority? Tough to get a scud off the ground when the fuel guage reads empty. 893whatthe.gif