• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Avengers artwork found at garage sale.

65 posts in this topic

Wow.

I'm guessing the people who sold it have a contact at the airport who steals luggage/merchandise and then flips it to them to be sold via garage sales.

I wonder if they knew what the had and sold it for a mere pittance out of fear of going pubic with it.

Regardless, wow.

how were over sized boards shoved into a coloring book?

If the 'coloring book' they were talking about was the same book that the kid was holding, it was one of those large sized artists sketch books (the kind you buy at art supply stores). The art definately would've fit in one of those.

Ok, I guess the cat's out of the bag so I'm free to talk about it now...

I got a call on Wednesday from a local dealer I know who was trying to id an early Avengers page and some EC work. He took pictures with his phone and sent them to me. When I saw the first page to Avengers #1 I totally freaked... as far as I knew that was not supposed to exist. My friend had already made an offer not knowing exactly what the art was and the guy who was selling and his wife kind of freaked. They thanked him and, as any smart seller would do, were going to shop it around a bit. I guess they went to Heritage and found out it was stolen... although the Avengers #1 splash *did* have the Marvel return stamp on the back of it... guess that doesn't mean it wasn't stolen.

The story they told my friend pretty much matches up with what's in the article... garage sale, $1. He also had an old movie poster he claimed (thru research I assume) was worth $4,000.

The other pages were a 6 page Jack Davis story out of Crypt Of Terror #24 -- The Death Wagon.

Here are the pictures I was sent...

42347-2722164263_ORIG.jpeg

42345-2722545262_ORIG.jpeg

42346-2722493974_ORIG.jpeg

42345-2722545262_ORIG.jpeg.8dd22ef5238c91a5f0d5edc1f5b586aa.jpeg

42346-2722493974_ORIG.jpeg.d12b9be9ed24ce3fb9661cd7dbed53c4.jpeg

42347-2722164263_ORIG.jpeg.7ec667e8c542b8078399d76d7eef8a18.jpeg

I got a call on Wednesday from a local dealer I know who was trying to id an early Avengers page and some EC work. He took pictures with his phone and sent them to me. When I saw the fist page to Avengers #1 I totally freaked... as far as I knew that was not supposed to exist. My friend had already made an offer not knowing exactly what the art was and the guy who was selling and his wife kind of freaked. They thanked him and, as any smart seller would do, were going to shop it around a bit. I guess they went to Heritage and found out it was stolen... although the Avengers #1 splash *did* have the Marvel return stamp on the back of it... guess that doesn't mean it wasn't stolen.

The story they told my friend pretty much matches up with what's in the article... garage sale, $1. He also had an old movie poster he claimed (thru research I assume) was worth $4,000.

The other pages were a 6 page Jack Davis story out of Crypt Of Terror #24.

and that's how you found out your Avengers 1 was restored :(

I got a call on Wednesday from a local dealer I know who was trying to id an early Avengers page and some EC work. He took pictures with his phone and sent them to me. When I saw the fist page to Avengers #1 I totally freaked... as far as I knew that was not supposed to exist. My friend had already made an offer not knowing exactly what the art was and the guy who was selling and his wife kind of freaked. They thanked him and, as any smart seller would do, were going to shop it around a bit. I guess they went to Heritage and found out it was stolen... although the Avengers #1 splash *did* have the Marvel return stamp on the back of it... guess that doesn't mean it wasn't stolen.

Yup! :sorry:

the Little girl Coloured it

I cross-posted this to the OA forum just to get opinions from folks who come over here....

Here are some additional thoughts....

I just got off the phone with my friend. He added some interesting thoughts...

Yesterday he called the seller to make a better offer and the seller was on the other line with Heritage. Heritage told him the art was worth $60,000. On exactly what planet is this worth $60,000? After talking with a couple of high-end dealers... folks who would definitely know... we came up with this:

Avengers #1 splash... $15,000 - $20,000 (face it, that page really sucks)

Crypt Of Terror #24 Jack Davis 6 page story... $6,000 - $8,000

Warren Frankenstein pages by Russ Jones... $400 - $800

So on the high side we are just shy of $30,000. Even if you add in Heritage's 20% on the front-end and 20% on the back-end you only come up to $42,000 (close to the $48,000 in the story). So how did Heritage come up with $60,000?

Also, what database did Heritage use to find out this stuff was stolen? I know there are a few web pages out there but, as far as I know, these pages are not even known to exist.

Also, also, Hertiage still has possession of these pages. Shouldn't the cops have these as evidence? Since when does Heritage get to keep stolen merchandise?

So, if I put on my tin-foil hat I begin to smell a rat. I wonder if these will become a feature in a future Heritage auction at some point in the future... ?

When my friend made them the initial offer (and it was a pathetically low offer) the wife said jokingly, "So I guess we shouldn't let our daughter color on these?" lol

Avengers #1 splash... $15,000 - $20,000 (face it, that page really sucks)

I'm no OA expert, far from it, however the first page from the first issue of Avengers is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it and to the right collector that could be as low as $15k but at the same time it could be twice that.

It's a shame there is no GPA for OA. Not that it's workable.

When my friend made them the initial offer (and it was a pathetically low offer) the wife said jokingly, "So I guess we shouldn't let our daughter color on these?" lol

So Jeff, have you been in touch with police about your story? According to the local news the people who held the "garage sale" the art owners said they bought it from, claim they did not hold a garage sale last month. So sounds like some detective work needs to be done to figure out how stolen artwork from DFW founds its way into these people's hands. hm