• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How tough is All Winners #21?

17 posts in this topic

I'd be interested in what you folks think of the difficulty of this one. I don't know how accurate the Gerber 8 is. I saw that CGC has 22 listed. Is this one of those books that never shows up nowadays? I've always liked it, even if it's not a Schomburg. Had one in the 90's, wish I hadn't let it go.

Not entirely sure. I don't see it very often but I'm not actively looking for it either. I haven't found the late 1940's Timelys to be as scarce as Gerber or Overstreet describe. I've got copies of AW 19 and 21, have owned multiple copies of MM 92, Subby 32, and HT 35 and see lots of Cap 74 for sale. Personally, I have found Subby 30/31 much harder. Just my 2 cents.

here's my AW 21

allwinners21.jpg

Assuming every copy hasn't been graded and represent in the CGC census, the true difficulty might lie in a fellow collector's waiting to sale and not it's scarcity (seeing as 22 grade copies for a Gerber 8 seems pretty high). I've heard certain books that are perceived 'rare' are really just popular books that everyone keeps in their collection. (shrug)

A copy sold in May of this year, two copies last year, one in 2005 and 2 in 2004. Being a Nedor collector, those don't seem like particularly scarce numbers to me.

It would be a rare occurance for a Nedor to have 22 copies slabbed.

I agree with Pod on his assessment of the book. Sub-Mariner #29-#31 in 7.0 grade or better doesn't seem to even exist as I almost never see these books surface for sale. They are undervalued so that might be keeping them from being slabbed but its clear that with 22 copies slabbed the AW#21 is not a Gerber 8. Nothing wrong with Gerber 7's mind you but I think if your patient you can snag a copy at a good price.

How tough is All Winners 19? I'm still smarting from the butt-whooping it gave me a while back. It's a bad Mo-Fo!

I think #19 has "Bad Mo-Fo" written on it's wallet!

Actually, I like whet's explanation, that some books aren't that scarce, but people just like them and keep them. Through the years, I have sold most of the books I've ever owned, but there are a couple that I have never sold. One is a FF#1 (OK, now I'm OT) I bought as a kid off the newsstand. It's ratty, but I can't imagine ever letting go of that, simply because of its history with me.

And maybe there are books that if someone needed to cash out, wouldn't be able to generate enough money to make a huge dent in the financial need (car, mortgage, divorce, tuition, remodel, etc.). So since they aren't incredibly expensive, maybe a collector might just keep them and sell the ultra high-end ones to meet the need.

Not sure if this second thought applies to AW 19 and 21, however, as those two do seem to be, as The Black Hand says, butt-whoopers.

Anyhoo, my 2c...

How tough is All Winners 19? I'm still smarting from the butt-whooping it gave me a while back. It's a bad Mo-Fo!

Uh, negative. That would be my wallet.

You stole #19's wallet?

Wow, you must be tough. Or stupid.

You heard what the Black Hand said.

(I would love for someone from the real world to read that post and try to explain to me what it means!)

You stole #19's wallet?

Wow, you must be tough. Or stupid.

You heard what the Black Hand said.

(I would love for someone from the real world to read that post and try to explain to me what it means!)

If they were Pulp Fiction fans they would know what you and I meant, other than that...... (shrug)