• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Framing OA

51 posts in this topic

It does make a difference - someone chopping pieces off the OA to fit a cheap frame? Just go buy a frame that fits.

A lot of art is chopped through production, but not newer pages. Just respect the page and keep it in the best shape possible; taking scissors to it is not the best idea.

I was asking if Justin's reference to the art already being trimmed was refering to cropped corners or miscuts directly related to printing (They are fairly obvious). My point is that these defects were an unfortunate biproduct of the creation of a book and appear quite different from the square trimming one would find on pieces cut to fit frames.

Needless to say there are pieces of Justin's pages sitting in a garbage can somewhere that were on them at the time of printing. That is the only thing that bothers me. Again it is his art at the moment and he can do what he sees fit. I'm just saying if I went into the Gold forum and told people I was planning on trimming the one and only example of a book to fit the bag I had they would probably call the police for a welfare check on my collection.

It's nothing personal, just the way I see preserving items for the future.

I have a couple of pretty old pieces (SA and GA time frames) and want to frame them for the wall. What are the opinions on the idea of getting them copied and framing the copies, to protect them from further deterioration?

Makes a lot of sense to me. It eliminates any worry about light damaging the image due to light exposure.

This feels like deja vu.

What I do is get a mylar for the artwork and have a cheap mat cut for the art and sometimes the printed page too. I get the outer dimensions of the mat cut to a standard size, so I can buy a cheap frame. Hobby Lobby has half price sales on frames every couple of months, so I wait for them to get my frames. I leave the art in the mylar for UV protection, believe it or not you'd never know it's there. The mylar also allows you to tape the art (really the mylar) into the mat if you desire, I generally just use the pressure of the backing to hold it in place though.

This technique usually lets me frame my art for $30-50 instead of $100-225.

Also, if you don't want to hack up a comic, you can have a color laser copy made at any office store. I've had some made from newsprint and you'd swear that you could feel the texture even though it's slick paper.

To summarize:

1. Get the art.

2. Get the art into a mylar

3. Get a mat cut for the art with the outer dims the size of a standard frame.

4. Put the art (in the mylar) into the mat.

5. Put the mat into the frame.

6. Hang and enjoy!

Last I knew the regular Mylar sleeves do not offer significant UV protection. Gerber used to offer a special type that did (years ago) but I don't recall them coming in OA sizes.

CW, to me there's a huge difference between trimming a comic book compared trimming OA. If you trim a book you affect the whole book (and grade as well). If you trim (with a straight edge and a razor mind you) the very bottom of the OA not even 1/8th of an inch, the art itself remains un-affected. That's how I see it.

I guess where we differ is that, correct me if I'm wrong, you feel that the entire art board should be preserved and I feel that as long as the art itself is preserved, the empty spaces surrounding the art doesn't matter as much. It's not like I cut out Wolverine from my Ult. Wolv vs Hulk page and paste him in a scrap book with no care in the world :grin:

Fair enough. We will agree to disagree.

Last I knew the regular Mylar sleeves do not offer significant UV protection. Gerber used to offer a special type that did (years ago) but I don't recall them coming in OA sizes.

According to E. Gerber, Mylar D offers UV protection. And they offer it up to some pretty large sizes. Mylar D is also the same materila they use in Mylite 2's which is what I use for the majority of my collection.

CW, to me there's a huge difference between trimming a comic book compared trimming OA. If you trim a book you affect the whole book (and grade as well). If you trim (with a straight edge and a razor mind you) the very bottom of the OA not even 1/8th of an inch, the art itself remains un-affected. That's how I see it.

I guess where we differ is that, correct me if I'm wrong, you feel that the entire art board should be preserved and I feel that as long as the art itself is preserved, the empty spaces surrounding the art doesn't matter as much. It's not like I cut out Wolverine from my Ult. Wolv vs Hulk page and paste him in a scrap book with no care in the world :grin:

I'm with you on this one. (thumbs u

Fair enough. We will agree to disagree.

Fair enough! (thumbs u