• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Framing OA

51 posts in this topic

I got a nice piece of art yesterday and was thinking of framing it. Are there decent frames out there at low-cost prices that fit 11x17 pages or do I need to get it custom framed at a place like Aaron Bros?

Thanks!

I got a nice piece of art yesterday and was thinking of framing it. Are there decent frames out there at low-cost prices that fit 11x17 pages or do I need to get it custom framed at a place like Aaron Bros?

Thanks!

Great question!!!

:popcorn:

This feels like deja vu.

What I do is get a mylar for the artwork and have a cheap mat cut for the art and sometimes the printed page too. I get the outer dimensions of the mat cut to a standard size, so I can buy a cheap frame. Hobby Lobby has half price sales on frames every couple of months, so I wait for them to get my frames. I leave the art in the mylar for UV protection, believe it or not you'd never know it's there. The mylar also allows you to tape the art (really the mylar) into the mat if you desire, I generally just use the pressure of the backing to hold it in place though.

This technique usually lets me frame my art for $30-50 instead of $100-225.

Also, if you don't want to hack up a comic, you can have a color laser copy made at any office store. I've had some made from newsprint and you'd swear that you could feel the texture even though it's slick paper.

To summarize:

1. Get the art.

2. Get the art into a mylar

3. Get a mat cut for the art with the outer dims the size of a standard frame.

4. Put the art (in the mylar) into the mat.

5. Put the mat into the frame.

6. Hang and enjoy!

This feels like deja vu.

What I do is get a mylar for the artwork and have a cheap mat cut for the art and sometimes the printed page too. I get the outer dimensions of the mat cut to a standard size, so I can buy a cheap frame. Hobby Lobby has half price sales on frames every couple of months, so I wait for them to get my frames. I leave the art in the mylar for UV protection, believe it or not you'd never know it's there. The mylar also allows you to tape the art (really the mylar) into the mat if you desire, I generally just use the pressure of the backing to hold it in place though.

This technique usually lets me frame my art for $30-50 instead of $100-225.

Also, if you don't want to hack up a comic, you can have a color laser copy made at any office store. I've had some made from newsprint and you'd swear that you could feel the texture even though it's slick paper.

To summarize:

1. Get the art.

2. Get the art into a mylar

3. Get a mat cut for the art with the outer dims the size of a standard frame.

4. Put the art (in the mylar) into the mat.

5. Put the mat into the frame.

6. Hang and enjoy!

Great idea, thanks for sharing!

This guy has some awesome frames. He told me he had them professionally done. This is the guy with the Walking Dead #16 cover.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=14788

I'm going to do a few of my pieces the same way. I love the SS CGC idea. You get all of the pertinent data and sigs of the artist. Of course, this isn't exactly on the cheap.

This guy has some awesome frames. He told me he had them professionally done. This is the guy with the Walking Dead #16 cover.

I'm going to do a few of my pieces the same way. I love the SS CGC idea. You get all of the pertinent data and sigs of the artist. Of course, this isn't exactly on the cheap.

Wow, that guys Tony Moore and Walking Dead collections are impressive! :o

Wow, that guys Tony Moore and Walking Dead collections are impressive! :o

His X-Men splash :cloud9:

Word of caution for those of you thinking about the $35 frames from bagsunlimited.com, they don't fit every OA page. Out of 25 pages in my collection, maybe 3 or 4 pages will fit in the standard 11 x 17 frame. I'm having my favorite pages professionally done over a year or so's time.

Word of caution for those of you thinking about the $35 frames from bagsunlimited.com, they don't fit every OA page. Out of 25 pages in my collection, maybe 3 or 4 pages will fit in the standard 11 x 17 frame. I'm having my favorite pages professionally done over a year or so's time.

Thanks for clarifying that they don't fit MOST 11 x 17 art even though they should. More than one person has not had art fit in them. Do you have any experience with the ones from Bill Cole http://www.bcemylar.com/display_frame.cfm#originalart ?

You better show us the art so we can give you proper advice :)