• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Framing OA

51 posts in this topic

Word of warning on stock frames.

I put four nices pieces of art in stock frames - purchased from a reputable frame chain - but upgraded to UV glass and acid free mats, etc.

The hardware on the stock frames wasn't strong enough to support the weight of the glass. Two of them fell off the wall, shattered the glass and broke the frames.

Art was OK - and the shop reframed all of them with custom frames for free.

I'll never try stock frames again. The savings was minimal and not worth the migraine it gave me.

I can't quite imagine the expression on one's face as an AH! (It was the Sally piece wasn't it?) masterpiece drops from the wall because of sub par hardware. You must have incredible self control. I would have gone into that store and framed someones face in a horrible comic nerd rage.

Take Mrpunch's advice, if the art means anything to you don't cheap out on the vessel that will be responsible for its protection.

If you are sure of your framing skills go for it but first time framers beware.

Nice!! But I wonder why this is drawn on a DC/Vertigo/Wildstorm board andnot a Marvel board?

The artist worked for DC at one time or another. The companies send boards to the artists with the company logos on them and sometimes they get used for other projects. I've got a couple of pages that Scot Eaton did for Marvel on DC boards also.

I was talking with an inker who said he liked the DC board better as far as the way it holds ink and what not. Could just be using what works best for the artist.

Oh by the way....Sweet page!!!!!

Okay here's what I did this weekend. Not the greatest matting job by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a start. The frames are 18x24 and with matte cutter and materials ran me about $70 for everything. I'm going to add some stuff to these like the original cover and a title stating where the art is from, issue, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

framing01.jpg

framing02.jpg

I have a couple of pretty old pieces (SA and GA time frames) and want to frame them for the wall. What are the opinions on the idea of getting them copied and framing the copies, to protect them from further deterioration?

I have a couple of pretty old pieces (SA and GA time frames) and want to frame them for the wall. What are the opinions on the idea of getting them copied and framing the copies, to protect them from further deterioration?

I'm waiting to find out the same thing from THE ENFORCER OVER HERE :baiting:

Nice!! But I wonder why this is drawn on a DC/Vertigo/Wildstorm board andnot a Marvel board?

The artist worked for DC at one time or another. The companies send boards to the artists with the company logos on them and sometimes they get used for other projects. I've got a couple of pages that Scot Eaton did for Marvel on DC boards also.

And some of the ION covers I got are drawn on Image cover stock or Harris cover stock

I'm waiting to find out the same thing from THE ENFORCER OVER HERE :baiting:

Hey Mike,

Did you ever make it to Kinkos to make a copy and see what you think? I still maintain that it is a cheap way to frame B&W art while keeping the originals safely stored away. But that is just my 2c and opinions will vary I'm sure. Let me know what you think.

Chris

good thread....for the frames unlimited $35ers that don't fit most pieces....can't you measure what you have and determine this in advance? my issue would be that a lot of stuff isn't a nice rectangle, particurly not so recent stuff, and having the white backing board showing behind it doesn't seem so great. plus, if it's not a tight fit, it will shift around in the frame and maybe be cockeyed, but you probably don't want to glue/tape it to the backing board (I guess you can keep it in a maylar)

seems like with almost all art on paper, comic art, water colors, you name it, the comic art will look best with a nice mat around it to cover up any ancillary stuff to the art and what not. that's where the money is going to be, because while you can try to do a homemade mat cutting job, it's not going to look as nice as a professional cut. mats are expensive.

With bagsunlimited frames (and I have 5 of them) the width of the frame is fine, it's just that for some reason the height is about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch off. You could easily shave that much off from the inside of the frame but since I'm lazy I just trim a tiny bit off from the bottom of the art (not enough to to trim off the actual art itself).

You can't determine the size in advance cause bagsunlimited doesn't specify the dimensions of the inside of the frame. I put up with them because it's cheap and my peices look really good in the 1-1/4 black wood frame and I don't believe that trimming a tiny peice off the bottom of the art effects the value at all. They even claim that the glass is UV protected too.

I just trim a tiny bit off from the bottom of the art (not enough to to trim off the actual art itself).
:o

well look at the ASM 300 page that just sold recently for $10k. It was trimmed all to peices. Are you really telling me that if there was a peice out there you REALLY wanted and found out that 1/16th of an inch was cut off the bottom, you wouldn't get it? The daredevil 111 page I bought off Romitaman was really trimmed but it didn't bother me cause the art wasn't affected. I personally care more about stains than slight trimming.

Was it trimmed by the printer or a collector?

In addition to that last thought.

Comics are all "trimmed" at some point in production but in my mind there is a big difference between that and trimming them to fit the poly bag.

I am a preservationist at heart so IMO (and that is all it is) I believe it is the duty of a collector to maintain a piece as best they can for the next guy. (Trust me, eventually there is always a next guy). mess happens but purposely removing material from a piece of art, no matter how small, doesn't seem right to me. It strikes me as one person making a descision for everyone else who will ever own the piece. Again just my opinion, it is your art at the present and you have to do what you see fit.