• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House of Mystery 179 CGC 9.6 Oakland $15,000!!

76 posts in this topic

not sure what is more shocking…..the price or the 9.6

I remember seeing this on Mile High's site several years ago....It was something like $700 if I'm not mistaken and I passed (even as the only 9.6) because of the lack of curb appeal on this copy.

If it gets a 9.8, I believe its the first $100,000.00 bronze age book

I don't think I'll live long enough to see a BA book hit that figure (tsk) .

Fully agree, definately not in my lifetime

I think Ken was joking. :gossip:

If it gets a 9.8, I believe its the first $100,000.00 bronze age book

I don't think I'll live long enough to see a BA book hit that figure (tsk) .

Fully agree, definately not in my lifetime

I think Ken was joking. :gossip:

I most certainly was joking. I don't think a 9.8 copy of that book would be worth 15K let alone 100K. I thought my figure was so absurd that everyone would know I was not serious.

Ken

remember seeing this on Mile High's site several years ago....It was something like $700 if I'm not mistaken and I passed (even as the only 9.6) because of the lack of curb appeal on this copy.

I don't blame you for passing on it. The eye appeal of this copy is so poor I would've had a hard time pulling the trigger at $500.00. How long do you think before another 9.6 appears (its been over 2-3 years with no additional copies) or is this book truly that rare in ultra high grade? I am not a HOM collector but I really admire these cool Adams covers (thumbs u

How long do you think before another 9.6 appears

To be honest who knows. You would've thought that the price of the last DR 9.4 copy would've brought some out, but of course that didn't happen. Either sellers are sleeping at the wheel or there really isn't that many more hg copies to be had. Heck, most folks have problems getting that issue in raw 8.5 or 9.0 as it is.

It's one thing to test the waters, but another thing for the number to be as absurd as a fiquere a plaintiffs lawyer would ask as a start number when commencing a civil lawsuit for monatery damages. You know, they would really settle at $50,000, but they ask the court in their initial legal papers filed for 2 or 3 million.

Or to put it another way, does anyone out there know of any dealer that would even have the gall to ask that?

yeah, but welcome to the world of tomorrow, the world PAST the one dealers were in total control of. Now collectors sell direct to collectors. And not being in "business" dont have to maintain any limits to asking prices in order to build a clientele that trusts them. Either it sells, or goes back in the collection.

Clearly, its for sale ONLY if someone wants to pay a crazy price for the best copy of a relatively obscure cool book.

Last year at San Diego, he was supposed to help me in San Diego. I bought his plane ticket, and set everything up so he could go. On the day before, he calls me and said he had just gotten bitten by a rattlesnake. He lost consciousness and I was unable to reach him after that via phone or email for 3 days. He called me when I was in San Diego and said he had just gotten out of the hospital - gave me a long sob story.

I said, no problem. Just have the hospital send me a letter stating what happened and I'll forward it to the airlines to try to get a refund. You can guess what happened next - not a thing.

Loser.