• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreets definition of scarce comics.

56 posts in this topic

Ok if this has been done before my apologies, How exactly does Overstreet decide the scarcity of a comic? They define scarce as being "20 to 100 known to exsist" Where do they get that information. CASE IN POINT: D.C 100 PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #5 The love stories issue. I own 2 copies. Gold key ASTROBOY #1 I own 4 copies. I am not bragging, honest, but both these issues are listed as scarce only 20 to 100 exsisting. I own multiples of other scarce comics, I did not pay huge money for any of these comics, I just am very diligent in looking for them as I like obscure scarce items....or so I thought. So does any one else think the term scarce by Overstreet standards is not accurate?

Sounds like it be used too loosly

It has never been my understanding that Overstreet used the term "Scarce" in the same fashion that, for example, the Gerber Index used the term. My understanding of Overstreets usage is more of the "tougher to find than the surrounding issues" ilk. Your example of the Dc 100 pager is a perfect illustration. There are definitely some out there, but far fewer than 4 and 6, at least in my experience.

yeah. Overstreets "scarce" IMO referred to books that you rarely saw for sale. 100pg Spec #5 was considered scarce because noone was supposed to have bought a love comic .

It was Gerber who coined a guess as to exactly how few copies existed. But he was referring to Golden Age books, and in the GA there ARE certain books for which there really are only 20 - 50 copies out there.

So "scarce" is like grading in that it is a bit different depending on the Age in question.

It's always been my understanding that they use the term "scarce" in juxtaposition to the rest of the issues in one particular title rather than as term for the general marketplace. If there are known to be significantly less copies of G.I. Joe 2 than issue 1 or 3 then they use the term. Of course when compared to a Golden Age book, GIJ 2 would out number it thousands to one.

Historically second, third, penultimate and final issues are usually the toughest to get. At least from the Bronze age and up. They might not be the most valuable though.

Ok if this has been done before my apologies, How exactly does Overstreet decide the scarcity of a comic? They define scarce as being "20 to 100 known to exsist" Where do they get that information. CASE IN POINT: D.C 100 PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #5 The love stories issue. I own 2 copies. Gold key ASTROBOY #1 I own 4 copies. I am not bragging, honest, but both these issues are listed as scarce only 20 to 100 exsisting. I own multiples of other scarce comics, I did not pay huge money for any of these comics, I just am very diligent in looking for them as I like obscure scarce items....or so I thought. So does any one else think the term scarce by Overstreet standards is not accurate?

I don't have the latest Overstreet, but in years past they have stated that Love Stories #5 is "scarcer", not "scarce".

I don't believe it is explained anywhere in the book what the difference between scarce and scarcer is.

Maybe scarcer is less scarce than scarce itself. (shrug)

It goes like this:

Scarce, Scarcer, Scarcest.

So scarcer is more scarce than just scarce.

Got it. So is scarcest more scarce than rare? hm

No. Rare is scarcer than scarcest.

Not that scarcest is a term that's used in fandom....

To give you a direst answer I remember[when overstreet use to guestimate the quanties of key books along with the grade prices.

Adv 40 at 45 0r less copies was rare.

Action 1 at 75 copies was scarce

Famous funnies series 1 was listed as very rare.

no number of copies given.

Just a little to wet your beek

It goes like this:

My scarcity scale from most to least...

Hard

Tough

Scarce

Really tough

Seldom seen

Scarcer

Very few

Rare

Very Rare

Impossible

One of a kind

Does not exist

(This started as a joke, but I actually started thinking about it.

Now I am seriously wondering if Scarcer is too high and Seldom seen is too low! :pullhair:)

It goes like this:

Hard

Tough

Scarce

Really tough

Seldom seen

Scarcer

Very few

Rare

Very Rare

Impossible

One of a kind

Does not exist

Now I am seriously wondering if Scarcer is too high and Seldom seen is too low! :pullhair:)

My post was meant to be a joke too, but then I got caught up in the lunacy.

I do find it amusing when dealers have a book in their hand which they claim is impossible to find, though. :insane:

It goes like this:

Hard

Tough

Scarce

Really tough

Seldom seen

Scarcer

Very few

Rare

Very Rare

Impossible

One of a kind

Does not exist

I like your list, but I think "Extinct" belongs there too.

Not sure if Extinct should be before or after Does not exist.

Or maybe even instead of, because surely it existed at one time right? :insane: