• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Big Fish: The One That Got Away

35 posts in this topic

On the flip side of The Albatross is The Big Fish (the one that got away). This can be equally, if not more, painful than overpaying for a piece that you didn't really want. I've seen this happen many times-- a lot of collectors will become so cautious about The Albatross, that they miss out on a highly coveted piece.

My advice: Make a list of pieces/pages you know you REALLY want that you can afford (we can all put down Frazetta oils, but that's pretty pointless for 99.9% of us). When that piece shows up, go for it. That's totally different than seeing a pretty piece for sale and impulsively buying it. Having a predetermined list helps you concentrate on those pieces you know you'll be holding for a long, long time.

I have one example that hurts me to this day. In Feb '06, one of my all-time favorite pieces showed up on Ebay. It was the promotional poster art for NEXUS from 1983. I had the poster in my room as kid, and the art was one of the top wants on my list. I bid 2X what I thought it was worth. I got outbid at the last second. I COULD have afforded to bid more to begin with, and I should have. Market value had no relevance in this case. The piece now sits in the permanent collection of another Nexus collector. I'm not likely to see it again. I still think about that one:pullhair:

Just remember that The Big Fish can become The Albatross if you're not disciplined. Hey, I never said this was easy!:insane:

Ahhhh, you're so right. If it's a piece you can afford, and you've ALWAYS wanted it, it's in your grasp, and you let it get away, it going to haunt you.

It's probably just as bad if you miss out on something because someone got to it first. Especially if the price was right but you missed it cause you were out having a life instead of sitting at home on the internet looking for art... like... I... am... right... now.

I don't think I have a Big Fish story right now. I thought I did a couple times, but I must not have wanted the piece enough cause the feeling went away ;) The closest I come are pieces I wanted bad, but couldn't really afford. So my regrets are that I don't have more disposable income to devote to reeling in my big fish!!

But Nexus, my friend, at least you know that the OA is out there. There is a chance -- however slim -- that the piece may yet end up on your walls.

But what about The Ghost? That's the piece that you want, that you cherish, that you know is out there SOMEWHERE...but that you've never been able to find? That never went to eBay, that isn't in CAF, that must exist somewhere in the universe -- but that you've never been able to find?

For me, The Ghost is as painful as The Big Fish. And my Ghost? I'd love a chance at the OA to the cover of Strangers in Paradise #1 (the Antarctic Press version)...wherever it is....

Why don't you just buy it from him for 4K? He was kind enough to price his art, and truthfully, if I had mad cash I would buy this and the Starman cover. Of course, it all comes down to money.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness?! ;)

Sometimes the ones that get away return to give you a second chance . . .

This has happened to me on a number of ocassions. Examples being:

VAULT OF HORROR # 33 cover . . . always admired this Johnny Craig EC cover and planned to bid highly on the art when Russ Cochran originally auctioned it off during the 1980s. Only snag was, there was a delay in the auction catalog reaching me over here in the UK - and when it did arrive, it was a day after the auction had closed and the cover had sold to someone else.

Towards the end of the 1990s, through luck, I managed to make contact with the owner of the cover - and he was amenable to the idea of releasing the art to me in trade (for another Johnny Craig EC Horror cover).

TALES TO ASTONISH # 96 cover . . . my favourite Sub-Mariner cover from his 1960s run in TTA. I'd seen the cover displayed in someone's Lowry Gallery on the comicart-l. I just took it for granted that the (then) current owner would not want to part with such a great image, so I kept my distance. Later on, I discovered that the owner had sold the cover to Dan Forman. Again, I assumed that Dan wouldn't want to part with the art. Some time later the art appeared on Mike Burkey's site for sale. The art was over-priced, but sometimes you have to pay over-the-odds to get something special (and here the 'Albatross' factor doesn't really apply, as I've absolutely no intention of parting with the art).

CAPTAIN ATOM # 80 Cover . . . I'm a big fan of Steve Ditko's art from the 1960s (his late-1960s art, onwards, became increasingly cartoony - and became less appealing to me). Before co-creating SPIDER-MAN, Ditko's first Superhero was CAPTAIN ATOM for Charlton. Loved his work on the book (and also BLUE BEETLE) and still retained all the original newstand copies I'd bought during the 1960s. One day a Sales catalog arrived on my door from Robert Rogovin of 4 COLOR COMICS. To my amazement, inside was featured the cover art to CAPTAIN ATOM # 80. The asking price (dating about 8 years ago) was $11,000 - which was way out of my price range at the time. My heart just sunk knowing I just didn't have that kind of spare cash readily available. Fast forward several years, I found myself in (e-mail) negotiations with Ken Danker (who was interested in some of my EC story art - which I had in plentiful supply at the time). As trade-bait, Ken casually mentioned that he had the CAPTAIN ATOM # 80 cover available! Needless to say a deal was quickly done.

I had a similar thing happen. The page below auctioned on Heritage at which time I missed it because of so other purchases but i really wanted it bad. Later it auctioned on CLINK but I was late getting home from work and missed bidding on it by minutes. The buyer revealed himself and I told him if he ever decided to sell, to let me know. He pinged me later and said he was willing to let it go to fund another purchase but I had to run the deal by the boss (aka my wife). He ended up fuding the purchase another way so missed it again but then a little while later said he would let it go. Now it resides in my collection.

submariner39.jpg

Many of the big fish are items I saw listed on eBay before I got into the hobby - didn't bid, but sure wish I did. These are all recent last 2-3 yrs. Hopefully these descriptions will be enough --

Jim Lee - X-Men (some issue in the 270s) - double page spread of Gladiator holding up Lilandra - stunning - went for a little over $1K

Marshall Rogers - last issue of Mr. Miracle (23?) - full page of Darkseid's head - went for $200

Ed Benes - cover of Artemis: Requiem #3 - "Buy It Now"- $179 (this is not really my tastes, but passing on this was pretty stoopid)

John Byrne/Terry Austin - any X-men page - I've seen many go for between $1,500 - $2K, wish I could bid on those again - one was from X-men 137 and went for if I recall correctly - $1776

Jim Starlin - Warlock origin page, from one of the Warlock issues, but get this - the origin is told by Captain Marvel who takes up about half the page - went for a little over $1K. Beautiful page.

Tom Raney - full page from the end of Warlock Chronicles #1 - full page of Warlock - not an all time great, but this was the best page he ever drew in his life - it was amazing - sold on the dealer's site after it went on sale for $87.00. A unbelievable steal.

Ah well. Maybe next year, I'll be lamenting some of the pages that I didn't buy this year.

Best regards.

- A

TALES TO ASTONISH # 96 cover . . . my favourite Sub-Mariner cover from his 1960s run in TTA. I'd seen the cover displayed in someone's Lowry Gallery on the comicart-l. I just took it for granted that the (then) current owner would not want to part with such a great image, so I kept my distance. Later on, I discovered that the owner had sold the cover to Dan Forman. Again, I assumed that Dan wouldn't want to part with the art. Some time later the art appeared on Mike Burkey's site for sale. The art was over-priced, but sometimes you have to pay over-the-odds to get something special (and here the 'Albatross' factor doesn't really apply, as I've absolutely no intention of parting with the art).

And this is the reason I now try to be publically cry out that everything I have 'could' be for sale... It's better to get contacted than not. I am not one of those silly collectors who are put off by another collector's appeals to sell or trade. It is at the best profitable and at the least flattering. As much as I made on the TTA cover Terry, I would have much rather sold it to you than to a dealer. Not that he wasn't pleasant to deal with, he was, but I always prefer to deal directly with other collectors.... who wouldn't?! .... But, all's well that ends well, Dan F.

Dark Knight Returns #2 Cover...Dealer wanted $200.00 for it a few years ago, I told him it was overpriced and I walked away with my head up high and patting myself on the back for passing on an overpriced piece of art.

The DPS to Xmen 100 by Cockrum! The dealer who owned it kept telling me 100k, 100k....for over a year; one day during emails he informs me he'd take more like 25 to 30k!!! While I was finishing my spit-take and picking my jaw off the floor the next email I get is, he just sold it.... (and given who bought it, it isn't going anywhere) :(

Just started collecting art about 2 1/2 yrs ago, watching an auction on Ebay for that famous "bunny slippers' Hulk piece by Dale Keown. I was new to the hobby and didn't really want to

buy anything till i had a better perspective on art and it's pricing......

Piece sold for around 900 and is probably a 5k piece now....or I know people that would pay 5k, let's say that......

Board member offered me a piece that I had made a comment about about 2 yrs ago. I was

thinking it's a semi grail for sure, but sure was a lot of money......I passed.....Will most likely never be offered for sale again...and rest assured, if it was, it would be 4-5 times what he offered it to me...

Passed on a Bolland GL cover that is simply the best one of the 3 he did on the series...Sold, then sold again....now locked away....

Many of the big fish are items I saw listed on eBay before I got into the hobby - didn't bid, but sure wish I did. These are all recent last 2-3 yrs. Hopefully these descriptions will be enough --

Tom Raney - full page from the end of Warlock Chronicles #1 - full page of Warlock - not an all time great, but this was the best page he ever drew in his life - it was amazing - sold on the dealer's site after it went on sale for $87.00. A unbelievable steal.

If this is the page you're referring to, then yes, I am quite happy with this steal. :)

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=81222

Just started collecting art about 2 1/2 yrs ago, watching an auction on Ebay for that famous "bunny slippers' Hulk piece by Dale Keown. I was new to the hobby and didn't really want to

Piece sold for around 900 and is probably a 5k piece now....or I know people that would pay 5k, let's say that......

Board member offered me a piece that I had made a comment about about 2 yrs ago. I was

thinking it's a semi grail for sure, but sure was a lot of money......I passed.....Will most likely never be offered for sale again...and rest assured, if it was, it would be 4-5 times what he offered it to me...

Passed on a Bolland GL cover that is simply the best one of the 3 he did on the series...Sold, then sold again....now locked away....

You can be too cautious . . . and live to regret it.

Must admit, I'm having trouble understanding the approach of some of the newbie collectors.

Unless you're obsessed with investment potential as your main criterion for collecting art, I would have thought that most of us buy the art because (cue oft-repeated adage) . . . we like it.

If you can live with paying the asking price . . . and the art is a 'must-have' example . . . go for it.

Must admit, I'm having trouble understanding the approach of some of the newbie collectors.

Here's one reason:

The DPS to Xmen 100 by Cockrum! The dealer who owned it kept telling me 100k, 100k....for over a year; one day during emails he informs me he'd take more like 25 to 30k!!!

The art market is, too me, a much more complex and tricky one to navigate than the comics market due to less transparency and fewer public comparable sales by which to gauge prices.

Here's one reason:

The DPS to Xmen 100 by Cockrum! The dealer who owned it kept telling me 100k, 100k....for over a year; one day during emails he informs me he'd take more like 25 to 30k!!!

The art market is, too me, a much more complex and tricky one to navigate than the comics market due to less transparency and fewer public comparable sales by which to gauge prices.

That's an extreme example, Adam.

Somehow I can't see the newbie OA collector competing to buy a 100k piece of art.

Most seasoned vets would balk at the idea . . . even those with deep-pockets.

Here's one reason:

That's an extreme example, Adam.

Somehow I can't see the newbie OA collector competing to buy a 100k piece of art.

Most seasoned vets would balk at the idea . . . even those with deep-pockets.

I was not commenting on a 100K price but on the sales tactic -- using it as one example of the type of sales method that makes it hard for a newbie to navigate through. The methods are not unique to the artwork market, but they exist to a greater degree when compared to the comic book market. Just my 2c

The cover to FF 57. I bid high but could not get close enough. It was later revealed that I was 3rd highest bidder. An a amazing cover, no way i could afford that now.

The other one was the pg.1 splash to Avengers 1, I used to keep it safe in a large format colouring book, damned if I know where thats gone now?

Clem....

JesusJon is going to hate this but for me its the Hawkman Kingdom Come page he has. I really, really wanted it but there was something fishy about the auction at the time that bugged me and made me decide not to bid and he got it and had no problems with the transaction. That's my Big Fish so far and I'm reminded of it every time I see it in his gallery.