• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Ghost - Art you can't find that you want

115 posts in this topic

These two covers I have been trying to find for years without success.

Marvel Feature v. 2 #1 (feat. Red Sonja) by Gil Kane & John Romita

Defenders #125 by Carl Potts & Bill Sienkiewicz

My remaining want list in this hobby is very, very short, and these two are at the very top of the list.

Marvel_Feature_1_(1975).jpg

Defenders 125.JPG

10 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

My remaining want list in this hobby is very, very short, and these two are at the very top of the list.

Will that quote hold up in 7 years? hm  ;)

Edited by Bronty

Here are a couple of covers I have been looking for over 20 years for First is New Teen Itans (v2) #17 cover by Eduardo Barreto and the other is the Sword of the Swashbucklers: Marvel Graphic Novel #14 wraparound cover by Jackson Guice. By two of my favorite artists.

New%20Teen%20Titans%20v2%2017.jpg

SWordSwash.jpg

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

Will that quote hold up in 7 years? hm  ;)

Bet the ranch on it.  (thumbsu

Trust me when I say that, when you know, you'll know.  When you find yourself turning down or passing on pieces left and right that you would have gone to the mat for just a few years prior.  When you find yourself happier that there's nothing you want in an auction cycle than when there is.  When new purchases give you just a fleeting thrill before being added to the pile of hundreds and hundreds of other pieces you already own.   I've experienced it before when the thrill disappeared for me from collecting CGC slabs - if I'm honest with myself, I'm in a very similar spot regarding OA these days, with the exception of an ever-shrinking sliver of uber-nostalgic material remaining on my want list.  So, help me out with the few remaining pieces that I still really want! 

Edited by delekkerste

Perhaps.  But I mean that on more than one level.    I've grown bored of one field and ventured into another many times; I seem to have my interest captured by a given collectible in five year stretches for the most part.   Sometimes longer but when it's longer it's shared duty with something else.

So, seven years from now, will you be collecting nothing at all?   Or will something else start doing for you what OA used to?   Hard to say.    

Edited by Bronty

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

So, seven years from now, will you be collecting nothing at all?   Or will something else start doing for you what OA used to?   Hard to say.    

My best guess is that I will still be collecting art/OA at an increasingly reduced level 7 years from now (2016-present already has been greatly diminished compared to my peak collecting years of 2010-2015).  I doubt that any collecting hobby will supplant what OA has been for me the past 14 1/2 years, though.  I think the "collecting gene" is more of a "collecting bug" that is subject to waxing and waning as one's priorities and perspective changes throughout one's life.  For example, I was not actively collecting anything during college or when I was first trying to establish my career.  And now, as me and my wife are trying to build our family and secure our future, collecting (whether OA or anything else) has, frankly, plummeted down the pecking order of priorities.  I suspect that, 7 years from now, I'll be more focused on coaching soccer games and such than actively seeking to acquire more totems of nostalgia (or status or whatever else), whether it's OA or anything else.  

I think when you know you've turned the corner, you just know.  I feel that I have largely reached the saturation point when it comes to accumulating more "stuff" in general, and I could see myself more likely to do an early downsizing at some point in the next 7 years than picking up a new collecting hobby or re-igniting my OA collecting. 2c 

No need to try to convince me, I've been doing a net downsizing of "stuff" for years and the "I have to have that" moments are few and far between these days.    

Mostly poking fun at your quote from seven years ago, but also recognizing that seven years is a long time and things can change .

Edited by Bronty

On 4/6/2017 at 1:30 PM, drewincanada said:

On 4/6/2017 at 0:38 AM, retronymXX said:

This is my ghost, this page of John Buscema's Avengers #59...

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 09.36.27.png

A terrific Buscema Avengers page. I loved this initial run of his on the title.

And inked by Klein.  A great combination.  :grin:

Three Ghosts for me:

1) Fighting Yank painted splash by Alex Ross

2) Captain America cover #156 - Cap v Cap by Sal Buscema

3) Invaders #40 Cover by Cockrum - I have the entire interior so it'd be nice to have the cover

Edited by Michael (OML)1