• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slightly OT: New Warren Ellis book

5 posts in this topic

I finished it on Monday. Thought it was very interesting. He definitely keeps the pace going. It jumps from state to state, with the main character encountering as many degenerates and weirdos as can be found. Pure Ellis. Might be a little bit too dark for some.

So I've got 50 pages or so left, and its certainly entertaining, but its not much of a...story. It is very much like a comic in the sense that it seems to be a 6 issue story arc in the form of a hardback trade, each issue capable of existing on its own. One issue could be called Texas, another Ohio, another Vegas...loose plot thread to bind it all together.

Very enjoyable interplay between the two main characters both of whom are very well developed. The story that IS there is just an excuse to have these two characters encounter more crazy stuff. It is supposed to be a detective novel, but I don't sense all that much detectiving, just a series of "O, you don't have it? Who does? OK, I'll ask them." Why the government couldn't have done that I'm not sure. Maybe something will enlighten me there as I finish the book.

But that's all I really expected. Very fast easy read.