• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foreigners are buying up all the silver age books

46 posts in this topic

I would say that, anecdotal evidence aside, that the amount of collectors of high grade Silver Age (especially in 9.4 and above, and especially keys) that reside outside the U.S. is very, very small. On a comparative or proportionate level.

Yes, foreign buyers, particularly from the U.K., have been buying up lots of Silver Age books (and Golden Age, and Atom Age as well) from ebay and other sources over the last couple of years due to the strong Euro/pound and weak dollar. And yes, there is Ian Levine and his mighty collection, along with several other serious players over here.

But the U.S. market for U.S. comics is colossal compared to that of the U.K. It's unrealistic to think otherwise, and just 'cause tens of thousands of Silver Age comics (out of millions) are going to the U.K. doesn't mean that America will ever lose a significant amount of its' treasures to us Brits or Europeans.

A few years ago the Canadian dollar was worth $.62 US. Today it is worth about $.95. When you ad on Ontario sales tax the better deal is one done in the US. Also many of the books and comics sold here don't reflect the changed dollar. In Chicago just over a week ago, I bought "Maximum FF" which would have cost me $80 here and normally, $50 there. I would be foolish to have purchased it in Canada.

I have adjusted my closing time for many of my Silver-Age books to include a Friday noon (eastern time) to try to grab overseas buyers. If it doesn't sell on a Friday/Sunday evening - it usually sells the following week at lunch. Foreign buyers also love the Buy-It-Now option (God Bless em).

I personally think it is great for the hobby. It means that the collector base as a whole is growing, well maybe not growing exponentially but at least a portion of the foreign market is buying back issues.

A worldwide market can only add longevity to the hobby on some level.

Ze-

Very well said! :golfclap: The hobby needs new markets. It's troubling enough that the kids of today don't seem to consume comic books the way they (we) did in the 60s and 70s. I would love to hear that the hobby is growing somewhere!

Also, on a personal level, I like dealing with international buyers and sellers. It's great to connect with people around the world who share a passion for comics!

CG

As long as silver age books remain in the general vicinity marked below, I think this topic is a non-issue.

milky_way.jpg

I would like to be alerted if any highgrade slabs get purchased in NGC5866. Don't want stockpiles of silver age to end up in one of those lenticular galaxies. That could definitely mean trouble.

Red

True statistic.

2% of the worlds population share 50% of the world's wealth.

The poorest 50% of the world's population share just 1% of the world's wealth.

Most of us here are in the middle 48% sharing 49% of the world's wealth.

True statistic.

2% of the worlds population share 50% of the world's wealth.

The poorest 50% of the world's population share just 1% of the world's wealth.

Most of us here are in the middle 48% sharing 49% of the world's wealth.

What this sharing the wealth krap?

Anybody tries to share my wealth... I'll put a hole in them.

:sumo:

Chuckles has been saying this for years.It is nothing new,although the incredibly shrinking value of the US dollar might be exasperating the matter.I don't care who buys my books as long as they pay.A 1,000 books sold to Asia is 1,0000 books I won't need to compete against in a year or two.

I would say that, anecdotal evidence aside, that the amount of collectors of high grade Silver Age (especially in 9.4 and above, and especially keys) that reside outside the U.S. is very, very small. On a comparative or proportionate level.

Yes, foreign buyers, particularly from the U.K., have been buying up lots of Silver Age books (and Golden Age, and Atom Age as well) from ebay and other sources over the last couple of years due to the strong Euro/pound and weak dollar. And yes, there is Ian Levine and his mighty collection, along with several other serious players over here.

But the U.S. market for U.S. comics is colossal compared to that of the U.K. It's unrealistic to think otherwise, and just 'cause tens of thousands of Silver Age comics (out of millions) are going to the U.K. doesn't mean that America will ever lose a significant amount of its' treasures to us Brits or Europeans.

Well said - and as there are a limited no. of buyers we will whenever selling always offer the comics for sale to US buyers as well as European.

At worst it will lead to your shipping costs on a purchase increasing as comics head back to the US (though European sellers generally discount shipping to US).

As long as silver age books remain in the general vicinity marked below, I think this topic is a non-issue.

milky_way.jpg

I would like to be alerted if any highgrade slabs get purchased in NGC5866. Don't want stockpiles of silver age to end up in one of those lenticular galaxies. That could definitely mean trouble.

Red

I'll sell to NGC5866, but shipping is a person_without_enough_empathy.

milky_way.jpg

Red

I'll sell to NGC5866, but shipping is a person_without_enough_empathy.

localpickup.gif

I've got some of your comics Yanks and you'll never see them again. :sumo:

Bwa ha ha ha.

Just don't send any 90s mess over, we've already got too much of it. (tsk)