• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you look for in a good convention?

50 posts in this topic

I was recently challenged on another site by some guy who feels that our show isn't worth going to because it's a retread of the summer show in Toronto, but with almost no "Wizard Top 10" creators. Without those hot guys, or sci-fi and anime media guests he thinks it's too expensive to go to.

Now I've been pretty vocal there about what I dislike about the summer show, and I try to use that event as what not to make a show around, but their are bound to be similarities. And I don't expect us to pull in everyone, so if that guy isn't happy there isn't much I can do about it, except continue to put on what I think is going to be a great comic show. And I'm really happy with our guest list... I think we've captured a nice mix of creators.

Peter and I are basing the November show very much on our favourite convention to go to as fans and as dealers, the Pittsburgh Comicon. I do like certain aspects of Megacon, San Diego, the Wizard Worlds and Motor City, but Pittsburgh is definitely less of a hype and media show, and is a much easier environment to interact with the guests. New York shows... well, let's say my love for New York city is more of a deciding factor, although the National and the NY SF and Fantasy Creators Cons do have great guests.

We have a pretty good mix of collectors and fans on these boards. Maybe you can help me out here.

What are your favorite cons and why?

What makes a good convention to you?

What kind of guests make you decide to go to a show or not? "Hot" artists, established creators, "cult" creators, or something else?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Kev

Interesting question...

When I was younger, I attended shows

- to meet my favorite artists

- to see the movie trailers

- to attend panels

- to buy comics, old and new

Now, I really only attend shows for the purpose of buying comics. The selection and competition at a decent show are very attractive. The ability to scrutinize back issues in person, and buy books at discounts, makes the price of admission worthwhile. Since I only look for pre-1975 books, most of the artists aren't familiar to me, but bumping into Sergio Aragones, Joe Kubert and the like is still pretty cool.

A good selection of gold, silver, and bronze age comics. While I'll bring an item or two to get signed (or stand in line for a few minutes to get a sketch) if I know in advance a certain writer/artist will be there, 95% of my time is spent pounding the boxes and "stepping behind the counter" looking for books. If my feet and back hurt at the end of the day, it was a good show! 893applaud-thumb.gif

That said, one of the funnest conventions I ever went to was Dragon Con 6 or 7 years ago - on Saturday night after the dealer's room closed they had a Kiss tribute band followed by a Betty Page "show", followed by hours and hours of bizarro videos (anime, stupid human tricks, and one very disturbing piercing/bondage themed video room?). I think there was even a "Vampire" gathering of some sort at the midnight hour! 893whatthe.gif

The more dealers with older (especially precode) books the better. Guests play virtually no part in my decision to attend a show. However, the ocassional Valkyrie or Bikini Clad spokesperson is always welcome.

Wondercon has too much of the "other stuff" for me to say it is my all time favorite. The Boston shows put out by Primate Productions were my all time favorites during the 90's. Not huge but two rooms of dealers and an insane amount of pre-code and GA. And always a couple of curiously clad cuties.

San Diego has grown too big for its own good being spread out over what seems to be 2 levels 2 blocks long.

Like to be able to line up for say 10 mins & chat w/ an artist /creator & get a free (or nominal cost) sketch of a fave character.

Nice selection of gold or silver DCs raw or slabbed is what I still search for. May have limited funds for a live big time auction like Heritage held on site.

Definitely agree with DrBanner...

Pounding the Bronze and Silver back issue boxes! makepoint.gif

I hate going a long way and coming home empty handed... juggle.gif

What are your favorite cons and why? What makes a good convention to you?

Many years ago, there used to be regular conventions at the Ontario College of Art (I'm dating myself here). They had a great mix of dealers, usually one or two big artist names, and a few minor ones. Good crowds, good selection of books, and if you were patient, good deals. I'm not big on getting stuff signed, but it usually worked out that by the time you were finished looking through the dealer tables, you could get sigs/sketches.

Ultimately, I'm like drbanner and I like going through boxes and finding deals. The thing I don't like about shows these days is that the dealer tables are the same ALL the time. There is a sprinkling of new dealers, but not much. I know it's a lot more difficult for American dealers to come up because of customs, and that's really too bad. I also know it's not easy getting new Canadian dealers. Maybe I should dig out my wall racks and set up shop again? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What kind of guests make you decide to go to a show or not? "Hot" artists, established creators, "cult" creators, or something else?

I think ideally, you need a good mix of all of the above. insane.gif

Any input would be much appreciated.

Kev

I will go to any convention within 500 miles of my house that has Eliza Dushku at it. Maybe 1000 miles. And Toronto is within 1000 miles of my house.

Our local con coming up next month used to have some neat guests (Curt Swan, Julie Schwartz, CC Beck). Now it's pretty much the same old, same old every year. Adam Hughes (who's neat) Dan Jurgens (only because he lives here) and some others. Though Mike Grell is coming this year. You'd think that since Neal Gaiman lives, like 20 miles from the con that he'd show up, but he never has. I've seen him at some booksignings around town, but never at the local con.

And none of the major publishers are sending any reps (as far as I know). Used to be we'd have Carlin show up from DC and some other guys from Marvel.

Thanks for all your replies so far guys,

Hogations - we've been trying to get some new faces to the show and I think you'll find that there will be some new faces at the TO show in November... there are a few dealers who haven't (or just plain won't) set up at the summer Expo who have already purchased tables.

Contracts aren't dotted and crossed yet but it looks like we will have some new dealers up from the US this time, some people very familiar to the Forum, in fact. I just can't say who they are just yet.

We already have one guy from Chicago committed who sells vintage movie posters coming... and Harley Yee is coming.

And some US dealers have made plans to come up to the show just for fun and to see what kind of market there is in Toronto for their books. There is definitely interest, but there is always a little concern and wariness when it comes to crossing the border.

Kev

Although I agree with the majority of people who posted here, I think the thing that draws big numbers is having the hot artists and writers there... it's not a lock that then you draw well, but i think that, having a variety of dealers set up, and things that appeal somewhat to a mass audience helps... a strictly comics show does well if it's in a central location. Plus, I think an emphasis on modern stuff, with panels from DC, Marvel etc. really help the convention. It's not my primary reason for going to shows, but I think the majority of people have the same attitude that most of the people here do, with an emphasis on collecting.

BOOBIES. The bigger they are, the more people you get in. devil.gif

That wasn't all that helpful, was it? Nevermind.

yeah, but the real question is men's or women's? 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifdevil.gifforeheadslap.gif248545-surfer.jpg

Well, I was hoping for womens', but if Greggy shows up... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifinsane.gif

I've never seen them but I don't think greggy's boobies are all that exciting. frown.gif

Kev,

- having a great SELECTION of dealers is always helpful. As a collector, you want to go to a show and have dealers there that you don't normally encounter. And artists and writers are great, but having someone that doesn't usually do the cons is also a draw...Miller, Adams, McFaralane (now there's a draw !) and of course the usual suspects (bendis, jones, bagley, lee, etcc...)