• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: SA, BA, Digests, TPs, HCs -- something for everyone (I hope!)...UPDATED!

165 posts in this topic

I'm here watching "Weeds" with the lady... and getting munchies for some more of the riffhard collection. I'll get a pile started:

The Comics Journal #227: Carl Barks Tribute Issue: (September, 2000) In addition to the usual articles and commentary, this issue also contains a special section spotlighting the life, times, and work of Carl Barks (who died on August 25, 2000), with reminiscences and remembrances from friends, associates, and fellow artists and writers. Lots of b&w artwork, and a full-color wraparound cover featuring one of Barks' legendary oil paintings. 120pp. VF/NM.

$5

Seal of Approval: The History of the Comics Code: By Amy Kiste Nyberg. Another scrupulously well-researched and thoroughly annotated scholarly history of the comics medium, this time focusing on the Comics Code Authority. Illustrated, b&w, 208pp., University Press of Missippi. First printing, 1998. Published at $18.

$8

Concrete: The Complete Short Stories 1986 - 1989 TP: First print b&w TP reprints Chadwick's earliest Concrete stories from "Dark Horse Presents". VF/NM copy with only minor shelf wear. 144pp. Dark Horse, 1990.

$7

The Comic Book Makers TP: By Joe Simon (with Jim Simon). VERY important history of the early Golden Age (and beyond) by someone who was there (the late, great Joe Simon!). LOTS of great art repros (w/tons of Kirby, natch!), plus a 14pp color section. Essential reading for my fellow historians! 208pp. First print, 1990. VF/NM with minor shelf wear.

$10

:takeit:

-Bob

I'm here watching "Weeds" with the lady... and getting munchies for some more of the riffhard collection. I'll get a pile started:

The Comics Journal #227: Carl Barks Tribute Issue: (September, 2000) In addition to the usual articles and commentary, this issue also contains a special section spotlighting the life, times, and work of Carl Barks (who died on August 25, 2000), with reminiscences and remembrances from friends, associates, and fellow artists and writers. Lots of b&w artwork, and a full-color wraparound cover featuring one of Barks' legendary oil paintings. 120pp. VF/NM.

$5

Seal of Approval: The History of the Comics Code: By Amy Kiste Nyberg. Another scrupulously well-researched and thoroughly annotated scholarly history of the comics medium, this time focusing on the Comics Code Authority. Illustrated, b&w, 208pp., University Press of Missippi. First printing, 1998. Published at $18.

$8

Concrete: The Complete Short Stories 1986 - 1989 TP: First print b&w TP reprints Chadwick's earliest Concrete stories from "Dark Horse Presents". VF/NM copy with only minor shelf wear. 144pp. Dark Horse, 1990.

$7

The Comic Book Makers TP: By Joe Simon (with Jim Simon). VERY important history of the early Golden Age (and beyond) by someone who was there (the late, great Joe Simon!). LOTS of great art repros (w/tons of Kirby, natch!), plus a 14pp color section. Essential reading for my fellow historians! 208pp. First print, 1990. VF/NM with minor shelf wear.

$10

-Bob

Thanks, Bob! I figured at least some of those were your speed!

Thanks Mikey! Yeah, Whovianone, this is such a great show! We just moved and instead of unpacking boxes, we've spent everynight this week watching the show. We're going to run out of episodes tonight :(

Paper Museum vol. 1 #1: Speaking of pulps...here's a magazine-sized b&w comic book featuring 4 different stories with a decidedly old-school pulp feel. Wraparound cover art by Mignola, Allred, and Nowlan, among others. Pretty cool...and cheap! First print, 2002. VF/NM copy.

$2

papermuseum.jpg

The Golden Age of Comics Fandom TP: By Bill Schelly (signed and numbered by the author, #949 of 1000). Fan art, anecdotes, rare pro sketch repros (Ditko! Kirby! more!), cool pics from back in the day, legendary early dealers, collections and cons: yep -- this is THE definitive chronicle of the earliest days of comics fandom, told by a legendary fan and fanzine publisher who was there for all of it! Profusely illustrated, b&w, 144pp. First print, 1995. VF/NM.

$8

goldenage-fandom.jpg

Flash #179

Star Spangled War Stories #138

Two great reading copies, both of which are 100% complete and readable: Flash #179 contains one of THE best SA Flash stories (look it up if you don't believe me), and the first of the new "Enemy Ace" stories by Kubert appears in SSWS #138. Great, great stuff. Take 'em both for just

$7

th_flash179.jpgth_sswar-138.jpg

The Great Pulp Heroes TP: By Don Hutchison. Not comics, exactly, but ask Steranko or Will Murray how important the pulps were to the development of American comics! Very informative and readable anecdotal history of the hero pulps (Shadow, Doc Savage, the Spider, Captain Future...even Zorro!). 276pp. Illustrated, b&w. First print, 1996. VF/NM. Published at $15. $5

Comic Book Nation HC : And now for something completely different...a cultural history of comic books in America from 1933 - 1980 and beyond, written by one of them thar' real, gen-yoo-wine P-H-D fellers (Bradford W. Wright). Lots of b&w illustrations throughout. 336 pages, with end-notes. HC published in 2001 at $35. This slightly shelf-worn copy with DJ is... $12

Blue Bolt TP : Reprints some VERY early work by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. If you haven't read these Blue Bolt stories before, you're in for a treat. Great, raw sci-fi hero/space opera stuff, with heavy WWII overtones. Full-color, 1998. First print. $8

Paper Museum vol. 1 #1: Speaking of pulps...here's a magazine-sized b&w comic book featuring 4 different stories with a decidedly old-school pulp feel. Wraparound cover art by Mignola, Allred, and Nowlan, among others. Pretty cool...and cheap! First print, 2002. VF/NM copy. $2

The Golden Age of Comics Fandom TP: By Bill Schelly (signed and numbered by the author, #949 of 1000). Fan art, anecdotes, rare pro sketch repros (Ditko! Kirby! more!), cool pics from back in the day, legendary early dealers, collections and cons: yep -- this is THE definitive chronicle of the earliest days of comics fandom, told by a legendary fan and fanzine publisher who was there for all of it! Profusely illustrated, b&w, 144pp. First print, 1995. VF/NM. $8

Eh, I need to learn more about this hobby :banana:

-Bob

The Great Pulp Heroes TP: By Don Hutchison. Not comics, exactly, but ask Steranko or Will Murray how important the pulps were to the development of American comics! Very informative and readable anecdotal history of the hero pulps (Shadow, Doc Savage, the Spider, Captain Future...even Zorro!). 276pp. Illustrated, b&w. First print, 1996. VF/NM. Published at $15. $5

Comic Book Nation HC : And now for something completely different...a cultural history of comic books in America from 1933 - 1980 and beyond, written by one of them thar' real, gen-yoo-wine P-H-D fellers (Bradford W. Wright). Lots of b&w illustrations throughout. 336 pages, with end-notes. HC published in 2001 at $35. This slightly shelf-worn copy with DJ is... $12

Blue Bolt TP : Reprints some VERY early work by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. If you haven't read these Blue Bolt stories before, you're in for a treat. Great, raw sci-fi hero/space opera stuff, with heavy WWII overtones. Full-color, 1998. First print. $8

Paper Museum vol. 1 #1: Speaking of pulps...here's a magazine-sized b&w comic book featuring 4 different stories with a decidedly old-school pulp feel. Wraparound cover art by Mignola, Allred, and Nowlan, among others. Pretty cool...and cheap! First print, 2002. VF/NM copy. $2

The Golden Age of Comics Fandom TP: By Bill Schelly (signed and numbered by the author, #949 of 1000). Fan art, anecdotes, rare pro sketch repros (Ditko! Kirby! more!), cool pics from back in the day, legendary early dealers, collections and cons: yep -- this is THE definitive chronicle of the earliest days of comics fandom, told by a legendary fan and fanzine publisher who was there for all of it! Profusely illustrated, b&w, 144pp. First print, 1995. VF/NM. $8

Eh, I need to learn more about this hobby :banana:

-Bob

(thumbs u

Do you already have "All in Color for a Dime"?

All in Color for a Dime

As histories of the medium go, it's way up there...

(thumbs u

All in Color for a Dime

Nope... was trying to show some restraint. :insane:

But why not, :takeit: too. :banana:

-Bob

I'll take it if you don't want it. :takeit: PLEEEASSEEE?

(thumbs u

All in Color for a Dime

Nope... was trying to show some restraint. :insane:

But why not, :takeit: too. :banana:

-Bob

I'll take it if you don't want it. :takeit: PLEEEASSEEE?

Hey Mikey, transfer this book to Transplant's pile please :)

-Bob