• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Movie

24 posts in this topic

With Chrsi Bale being named star of the next Batman movie, what effect will this have on comic book pricing? The franchise had a series of movies in the late 80's that pushed prices up. In the 90's we had a dip with the entire industry. In recent years Marvel has captured buyers fancy. What impact do others believe will result from a Batman movie on the horizon? Will prices rise somewhat or are the books somewhat fully priced? Any opinions?

Once the villains are announced (I hear they are Ra's Al Ghul and the Scarecrow in a minor role) then their first appearances might rise slightly in anticipation.

If it's a good movie, which is a distinct possibility with Goyer, Nolan and Bale involved then you might see another wave of Batmania sweep the nation.

But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Batman prices to increase again.

Kev

i wonder if talia will be in the movie, and if so who will play her? angelina jolie perhaps? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

Catherine Zeta Jones? zeta.jpg

Penelope Cruz? penelopecruz3_jpg.jpg

cloud9.gif

(Sorry to turn this one into Babe Test #301!)

Isn't Ra's middle eastern?

Denny O'Neil said that he was created with a deliberately ambiguous ethnic background, though clearly there is some Near East influence. They could *easily* make John Travolta look the part, and it wouldn't even take a whole lot of make-up.

Gene

Check out Kingsley in the movie Sexy Beast and get back to me on that Gene.

I've seen still shots from that movie and agree that Kingsley looks like a bad mofo. He's a great actor and I'm sure they can do things with the camera, but he's also going on 60 years old and, at only 5'8", stands a full 6 inches shorter than Chrissy Bale. I think they need to get someone with greater physical stature than Kingsley. Sure, they got frail Ian McKellan to play Magneto, but Magneto never gets his hands dirty in hand-to-hand combat, whereas I'm sure we'd all like to see Bats and Ra's go at it with full blown fisticuffs.

Gene

Well, in Sexy Beast, Kingsley has an intensity about him that I see as being vital to Ra's fanaticism in reshaping the world. And he's very buff in the film, he looks like (and actually does) he could beat the snot out of anyone who looks at him the wrong way. Plus his aristocratic accent and talent for mimicry is perfect for Ra's.

Ra's has to give the impression that he is much older than he actually looks, and Kingsley has that weight of the world on his shoulders aura of sadness about him. He's reshaping the world because he thinks he has to - and he has to make Batman - a character with a very black and white view of the world, question whether or not all of the grey in the world is worth defending.

Ra's generally gets physical only (a) when he emerges from the Lazarus pit and (b) when he gets into a sword fight with Bats, which I assume would have to be part of the conclusion of any Bat film with Ra's and I think they could probably pull off a Bale/Kingsley sword fight reasonably well.

Generally though, doesn't Ra's leave most of the violence to Ubu, his manservant and bodyguard, and to his thousands of underlings in the League of Assassins?

Kev

Generally though, doesn't Ra's leave most of the violence to Ubu, his manservant and bodyguard, and to his thousands of underlings in the League of Assassins?

In the comics, yes, though I would think he might be more "hands on" in a movie adaptation. I think Kingsley could be an interesting choice for a 21st century take on Ra's (much as Colin Farrell was much different from the comic version of Bullseye), though I would prefer to see someone about 10 years younger and 6 inches taller if the goal is to stick with the "classic" Ra's.

Gene

With Chrsi Bale being named star of the next Batman movie, what effect will this have on comic book pricing? The franchise had a series of movies in the late 80's that pushed prices up. In the 90's we had a dip with the entire industry. In recent years Marvel has captured buyers fancy. What impact do others believe will result from a Batman movie on the horizon? Will prices rise somewhat or are the books somewhat fully priced? Any opinions?

I say we have Chris Bale assasinated and nominate dam60 for the role. He can prep for the role by reading through his extensive collection. Whattayasay guys,you with me? cool.gif