• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman or Detective Comics

111 posts in this topic

You want to collect a fantastic beautiful run of books, set this as a goal. Collect every Neal Adams cover in high grade. You will have the most beautiful run of books ever, and a great collection of Batmans, Supermans, Superboys, Detectives, Green Lanterns, and more....

This is something I will sit down and organize someday, and even though I have most or all of them in my collection, I will probably put another set of those together.

I am getting close to finishing my X-men and I am looking to focus on something different. I have always liked Batman, but I can't decide between the Batman or Detective title. Any opinions?

Both and Neither have already been exhausted as answers. Thank you.

:o Say it aint so! Finally giving up I see. :devil::kidaround: Seriously, why are you interested in changing directions? If you want a challenge, why no go after a HG run of ASM? Why DC? Just curious. hm

Over the years, I have had two X-men runs, working on the third, one full run of Avengers and almost full runs of FF and Spider-Man. I just want something different and I have always liked Batman.I am ready for new characters and new stories.

If I were going to collect either Batman or Detective, I would probably look at several factors. Number of keys, and what are they? How far back in the run will you collect. I have to assume that you are not going all the way back to 1st GA issues.

Batman #100 - 400 would be a nice run.

Detective #225 - 500 would be a nice run.

Of the 2, I would go with Batman. 1st Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, 1st SA Riddler, Ras, Two-face, plus lots of cool Adams stuff. Detective has #400, the Adams books and that is about it, unless you are into Martian Manhunter or Clay Face.

You want to collect a fantastic beautiful run of books, set this as a goal. Collect every Neal Adams cover in high grade. You will have the most beautiful run of books ever, and a great collection of Batmans, Supermans, Superboys, Detectives, Green Lanterns, and more....

This is something I will sit down and organize someday, and even though I have most or all of them in my collection, I will probably put another set of those together.

That is a great goal Dale. Just those Tomahawks will be nigh impossible to find in HG. Or is it just afew of them that are uber tought?

I am getting close to finishing my X-men and I am looking to focus on something different. I have always liked Batman, but I can't decide between the Batman or Detective title. Any opinions?

:o Say it aint so! Finally giving up I see. :devil::kidaround: Seriously, why are you interested in changing directions? If you want a challenge, why no go after a HG run of ASM? Why DC? Just curious. hm

I cant speak for Doc, but for me, the reason i switched to DC was several:

1-I love the covers. Maybe because I havent seen them as much and therefore there is some sense of wonderment when I see a cool cover, usually for the first time

2-DCs in HG are much harder to find than there Marvel counterparts. So its more of a hunt to find the books. To me, the hunt is as much fun as actually buying one.

Pretty close to nail on the head territory, Arex.

I cant speak for Doc, but for me, the reason i switched to DC was several:

1-I love the covers. Maybe because I havent seen them as much and therefore there is some sense of wonderment when I see a cool cover, usually for the first time

2-DCs in HG are much harder to find than there Marvel counterparts. So its more of a hunt to find the books. To me, the hunt is as much fun as actually buying one.

Pretty close to nail on the head territory, Arex.

Damn, im on a roll tonight :acclaim:

If I were going to collect either Batman or Detective, I would probably look at several factors. Number of keys, and what are they? How far back in the run will you collect. I have to assume that you are not going all the way back to 1st GA issues.

Batman #100 - 400 would be a nice run.

Detective #225 - 500 would be a nice run.

Of the 2, I would go with Batman. 1st Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, 1st SA Riddler, Ras, Two-face, plus lots of cool Adams stuff. Detective has #400, the Adams books and that is about it, unless you are into Martian Manhunter or Clay Face.

I would say go all the way back to Tec 27, start there, and finish it at 225 ;)

gator

So I'm assuming you're not talking about a complete run.

My preference is to cherry-pick the best from each of the titles. Even during the 1970s/early 1980s, you would have a lot of dreck sandwiched in between the classic Adams or Rogers issues.

Overall, I'd pick Detective Comics over Batman.

- In the 1960s, Carmine Infantino drew every other Detective issue (generally the odd-numbered ones in the mid-300's). Batman stories were all by Sheldon Moldoff ghosting for Bob Kane (he also did the non-Infantino Detectives).

- You also had a couple of Gil Kane Batman stories in Detective, and he did a handful of Batgirl and/or Robin backups in the book as well.

- The Adams issues started in Detective in 1970 before jumping over to Batman a year or so later.

- There were the great Archie Goodwin edited issues of Detective 437-443. Bat-art by Aparo, Chaykin, Toth, and Simonson. :cloud9: And the classic Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter backup. Great selection of reprints on the 100 Page issues as well.

- As mentioned, you get the all-time classic Englehart/Rogers run on #471-476. (thumbs u

- Don Newton does almost all of the art from #480 up to the early #500's. We took him for granted at the time, but he was an excellent artist who died way too young.

By the #510's Detective and Batman crossed over so much the two series merged in to one, so no real way to discriminate between the two.

After Jason Todd was introduced I dropped all the Bat-books for many years, so no help there. :sorry:

Though there were some classic issues of the Batman title during those years, there were also way too many lame Frank Robbins scripts, corny David V. Reed gimmicks, and sub-par John Calnan art.

Tec it is.

Personally, I would rather have a really nice Amazing Fantasy #15 than a Detective #27 that I could buy for the same money. I know, I know. Detective #27 is one of the 2 most important books in the history of the hobby, Batman has been around forever, blah, blah, blah......

Spider-man is the single greatest character ever created in comics.

Now if it were an Action #1, I might have to think a little harder.

No problem. You want another idea of a very cool run to collect would be to put all of the Legion of Super-Heroes appearances together. I have a customer who is working on this and it has been quite challenging. I personally really like the characters and you won't believe how many books they appeared in.

Personally, I would rather have a really nice Amazing Fantasy #15 than a Detective #27 that I could buy for the same money. I know, I know. Detective #27 is one of the 2 most important books in the history of the hobby, Batman has been around forever, blah, blah, blah......

Spider-man is the single greatest character ever created in comics.

Now if it were an Action #1, I might have to think a little harder.

You can keep supes and batman.Spider-man is my favorite book with my favorite artist.Had a shot at all the GA keys back in the day but out of my league now.

:o uh I would buy the Early golden stuff first then work my way up to the bronze keys (mainly Adams) :wishluck:lol we dont need any more Neal Adams collectors competing for the same books. Bad for prices (tsk) anyways like most people I dont know how you collect one without the other but if I had to pick I'd go with tecs but in your case I'd go with the Batmans. I'll let you know when I'm done with the tecs ;)