• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High II Collection

36 posts in this topic

and lord knows how many millions he's bought since then, perhaps even reacquiring MH II books.

the guy is a machine, I see him at shows picking 50 cent boxes clean. he can fill up a long box with bargain bin fodder in 5 minutes and you know those 50 cent books will become $4-$10 books on his site (or more). i guess he must sell enough to keep on buying like that, so who am i to judge?

(perhaps he thinks that by buying up all the gargain box books of any worth people will be forced to go to his site and pay guideX2? maybe if there were 100 chucks going to every show out there with an unlimite bankroll.)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=78754&Searchpage=13&Main=4461&Words=%26quot%3BMile+HIgh+II%26quot%3B&topic=0&Search=true#Post78754

It's been speculated that there were about 12,000 copies of Captain Marvel #13 found.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=14781264402&snumber=1

Note that in the second URL, Captain Marvel is lower in price than the surrounding comics... probably because Chuck's pricing formula is based on quantity in stock.

He seems to be out of NMs though.

Another thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=103823&page=0&fpart=1

The number changes to 14,000 comics and points to an issue of Thor.

Chucks memory is very selective,ala Stan Lee. Several years ago he wrote that whatever MH2 books remained in his inventory had long since been merged into his regular stock.Then slabbed books get hot and he finds several pallets of mixed MH2 books.I think he read how Stan Lee "discovered" that he had in fact kept file copies even though he'd always said otherwise.I think he figured if people are gullible once,they will fall for it twice.

Not sure if this is off-topic...but I've heard of warehouse finds and the 3 Silver Age books I've heard most mentioned are ASM 33, FF 44 and Thor 132...are there others? And/or would you agree that these are the top 3?

Cannon #1, and several Thunder Agents titles.

Really? Thunder Agents titles? I've never actively collected Thunder Agents and the spin offs until the past couple years, but I've never seen them advertised as MH2s. I shouldn't get too excited anyway, as the MH2s range from about fnvf up to nm. You never know what you're going to get, so you can't just buy because it has a MH2 certificate. I've got a FF 77 (I think) that's about a VF-, and that's the way it came from Chuck. At the time I was actively buying them (1986-7) I remember having to send about 10% of them back.

Not sure if this is off-topic...but I've heard of warehouse finds and the 3 Silver Age books I've heard most mentioned are ASM 33, FF 44 and Thor 132...are there others? And/or would you agree that these are the top 3?

i have heard ASM 33 as well, but i never really see many high grade coppies. no more then any other.

Cannon #1, and several Thunder Agents titles.

Really? Thunder Agents titles? I've never actively collected Thunder Agents and the spin offs until the past couple years, but I've never seen them advertised as MH2s. I shouldn't get too excited anyway, as the MH2s range from about fnvf up to nm. You never know what you're going to get, so you can't just buy because it has a MH2 certificate. I've got a FF 77 (I think) that's about a VF-, and that's the way it came from Chuck. At the time I was actively buying them (1986-7) I remember having to send about 10% of them back.

TA titles were a seperate warehouse find,not MH2s

My guess for the "10,000 copies" issue has now changed to Avengers Annual #4 based on Chuck's latest e-mail:

So here's the deal: we currently have a limited supply remaining of "Fine" condition copies of AVENGERS ANNUAL #4. This great comic was published in 1971, and contains retellings of the Jack Kirby stories from the original AVENGERS (1963) #5 & #6. Our list price on this comic is $55.00, but because we have extra copies in stock, we have been offering them for sale on our website at the steeply discounted price of only $13.75. Effective immediately, however, you can obtain a copy (limit one) of AVENGERS ANNUAL #4 in "Fine" condition absolutely for FREE simply by placing a minimum $50 order with us, and then asking for your "Free Avengers Annual" in the "Notes" line of our order form. Dr. Doom battles the Avengers for the first time in the AVENGERS #5 plot, so this 1971 AVENGERS ANNUAL #4 is ordinarily not only quite scarce and expensive, but it also contains a very historic story. Were it not for the fact that I paid for the MILE HIGH II collection so many years ago, I could never even think about giving these great comics away for no charge. As it is, however, I think that I might really be able to brighten your day by giving you a free copy. That seems like a far better thing to do, than to keep these great comics locked away in my dusty old warehouse for another 25 years...

Captain Marvel #13 can't be far behind though...

The question now is...can he give them away? And I really hope no one is currently trying to sell this issue...

Jim

Just one quick question. Did CGC designate this "warehouse" find a pedigree?. I was always under the impression that these were single collectors, single source, high grade.

hm

WEBHEAD

So here's the deal: we currently have a limited supply remaining of "Fine" condition copies of AVENGERS ANNUAL #4. This great comic was published in 1971, and contains retellings of the Jack Kirby stories from the original AVENGERS (1963) #5 & #6. Dr. Doom battles the Avengers for the first time in the AVENGERS #5 plot, so this 1971 AVENGERS ANNUAL #4 is ordinarily not only quite scarce and expensive, but it also contains a very historic story.

I think Chuck has his Marvel titles mixed up a little bit - purely unintentional of course. ;)