• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High II Collection

36 posts in this topic

how many of these books are really out there? and if it's true there we're 1500 copies of GS X-Men 1 and some 14,000 copies of another 12 cent Marvel book and who knows what else.....what did that do to the collecting market.

i know this is old hat, but it’s just very interesting.

I had bought some back in the day. I had separated the little certificates from the books. Later when I sold my collection off, I don't know what happened to the certs. From what I remember, there didn't seem to be any appreciable difference between those books grade wise and any others.

how many of these books are really out there? and if it's true there we're 1500 copies of GS X-Men 1 and some 14,000 copies of another 12 cent Marvel book and who knows what else.....what did that do to the collecting market.

i know this is old hat, but it’s just very interesting.

--------------------------------------------

Go to just about any marvel comic from 22-24 years ago or so and look at the Mile High ad and you will see the MH II comics he had in bulk he was selling off.

But, you see, Chuck was looking for inventory to sell for the next 20-40 years, until he drops dead, or maybe for his kids to sell too until 2060. He wasn't interested in dumping 1500 copies of GS X-Men 1, he wanted to sell them for around guide or thereabouts or more forever, which he has been doing foreover. Had he been selling 50-100 copies a year in the 80s (which is not terribly impossible, it was what, a $50-$100 book), he's probably running low on them now.

Markets only get flooded when the seller allows it, like putting all 1500 copies up for sale at once are selling 20,000 copies of Cannon #1 at once, devaluing it from a $1 bin book to a penny book! Chuck didn't want to flood a market he had been carefully trying to cultivate for years.

I don't remember it, but I was told that here, in NYC, Avengers annual 10 was a 10-20 cent book for a long time because several local dealers here had vastly overspeculated on them and had thousands. Well, I guess the market eventually absorbed it.

aCTUALLY, DOESN'T HIS TALES FROM THE DATABASE specifically reference X-Men annual 1, not GS X-Men 1, as there being a huge # of? He was excited because that was a $15-$20 book or something and he'd be paying 25 cents for. No doubt there was a tong of GS #1 too.

14,000 copies of another 12 cent Marvel book and who knows what else

Would that be a certain Thor in the 130s? hm

Or Thor 156. I think it was part of the MHII find.

Remember when the guy on ebay was selling off Thor 132's en masse and 156's as well? Had 9.2/4/6's going all the time for at least a month or more.

maybe that's what he was referring to as having been stolen by employees/bought by dealers before he got there.

Stolen... lol

All of these books were stolen to begin with.

maybe that's what he was referring to as having been stolen by employees/bought by dealers before he got there.

Stolen... lol

shhhhhhhhh

Stolen... lol

Do you suppose a Marvel stock-holder could use this as an excuse if he was caught confinscating a few MH2s?

According to Chuck (from his website) the total haul from this collection was 1.5 million books plus 200k Warrens thrown in as a bouns for which he paid $240,000 bucks (about 15 cents a book). He goes on to say that he originally took about 5-30 issues of each book to take them to San Diego in 85 to market as the Mile High II, but sales were poor.

I'm guessing that the whole collection was later sold as Mile High II, not just the original 30 copies of each book he pulled for San Diego in 85. He tells about how he found about half a pallet of 1500 copies of X-Men annual #1 all in high grade while inspecting the collection before buying it. Later on he goes on to whine about how this find almost made him broke because of the huge cost of transporting, storing and sorting 1.5 million books (poor guy hm) As to what it did to the market, I dunno I was just a kid in 85.

He also talks about how these were illegal books and he knew it, because by law they should have been destroyed after being taken off the newsstand, not resold. He says he felt guilty but because they were well out of date he felt that it was ok to purchase them.

Many dealers (some on this board) had been buying from this massive warehouse collection for years prior to Chuck buying the "remnants"

Chuck also claims to have personally spoken to Marvel VP Michael Hobson who essentially told him that Marvel had no reasonable basis to pursue any legal remedies regarding the comics.

If Chuck hadn't bought them, someone else would have. (shrug)