• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicago Comic Shops

26 posts in this topic

i live in Australia, and i tell you what.

i hate having to miss the best comic conventions in the world, but i hate even more not being able to eat Chicago Deep Dish pizzas even MORE!!!! :pullhair::frustrated:

somebody post some pics... :insane:

and some places to go too, as i will note it down, and when i get to chicago you'll know where ill be :grin:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I was in Chicago for about 10 days in '92. We went to Pizzeria Due on N. Wabash. A testament to this awesome deep dish pie is that I still remember that meal 15 years later. It was opened by the owners of the original Pizzeria Uno (also in Chicago), I think back in the 40s or 50s. The new chain franchised Unos can't hold a candle to these originals.

If I ever get to Chicago again, that'll be one of my first stops!

I move that Sal's remark be stricken from the record. All those is favor say "aye". :grin:

On topic -- I went to Pizzeria Due in 1993 and it was good (and very busy). I went to Giordano's in 2001 and it was pretty good (and very busy). But my favorite is Gino's East. I go there everytime I'm in Chicago. And now that I make my own deep dish Chicago-style pizza at home, I make it in a similar fashion as Gino's East.

I haven't tried Lou Malnati's yet.

Both times I've been to Chicago with my wife, we hit Lou Malnati's and it was an unqualified success. They have MGD by the pitcher! It was pretty inexpensive and had a more homey feel. The pizza was fantastic. I also went to Giordano's with some friends and we all enjoyed it. Of the two, I have to vote for Lou Malnati's.

CAP, you need to phrase your post like this to be proper here:

I love reading comics and eating pizza. I particularly like reading comics in Chicago while eating some deep dish pizza. [Where can I get the best Chicago pizza?]

Also, are there any comics with pizza drawn on the cover, specifically chicago deep dish pizza on the cover? I think I remember the Great Lakes Avengers easting deep dish, but I'm not sure. What issue was that?

Your original post is in brackets.

Where can I get the best Chicago pizza?

Also, I saw someone's post about Wizard World Chicago and it showed a giant pizza covered in tomato sauce. Whoever's WW Chicago report that was, can you tell me what pizza place you got that at?

Please and Thank You

Connor

That guy was talking about Giordano's...great pizza all around. Thin, Thick and Stuffed.

Lou Malnati's has a totally different crust than anything you have tried....it's almost like a cracker, it's not for everyone.

Gino's East is a legendary pizza place.

There are literally dozen's of mom and pop places that will knock your socks off as well, but the names above have several locations which makes them easier for someone traveling from out of town.

And for the guys who are pining for a Giordano's pizza in their home state....they deliver (frozen via fed ex) all over the place. Pop it in the oven and 30 minutes later it's like you are in the restaurant. I send them out to friends every year for the holidays. Giordano's Pizza, Carson's Ribs and Eli's Cheescake.

C

Gino's was really fantastic - Giordano's was amazing (even the next day) - Lou's was okay...

One thing about Chicago - you're never hungry! I was there on a business trip and I kept waiting to just be less hungry - so I could eat more deep dish!

Thank you everyone! Now... best comic shop?

I have been going to Atlas Comics at 4735 N. Cumberland in Norridge for almost 20 years. It borders Chicago at Lawrence and Cumberland...and is about 10 minutes from O'Hare. Great selection of back issues and all the new stuff.

A real comic book store, not a gaming cards store with comics, or a toy store with comics....a Comic Store first and foremost.

Chris