• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acid Free Tape: Is it necessary for Safe Storage?

VOTE  

120 members have voted

1. 1. VOTE

20 posts in this topic

Necessary for what? :shrug:

I use acid free two-sided tape to seal mylar covers over some of my hardbacks, but beyond that, I don't use tape for anything except mailing.

Acid Free Tape: Is it necessary for Safe Storage?

:luhv: Only if you enjoy tape pulls on the covers of your favorite comics! :luhv:

I have been using a non-stick on my bags for years. On the rare occasions that I have F'd up and let the tape touch a book I have been able to remove the tape without damaging the book at all

There was a thread with a good discussion of using non-tape alternatives for sealing bags, which included "Post-it note tabs", "dots", and other safer options. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it right now...anyone? (shrug)

I always use these little beauties:

images-2.jpg

They are less sticky than tape, so they're easier to remove. Easier to grab one of these off the sheet than to tear off a piece of tape. And, being round, there are no corners to snag when inserting the bagged book into a box.

One of My most depressing days in Comics was the day I opened The Package My Golden age STARS AND STRIPES #2 came In I noticed Adhesive tape was holding the bag closed. I actually thought about taking the tape off prior to pulling out this V/F- golden age treasure. hm But I figured no problem I can do It. I pulled the comic, my finger slipped the tape on the bag hit the front of the cover right where MINIMIDGET was sitting on MIGHTYMANS shoulder I felt like I had taken a punch to the gut as I looked at MINIMIDGET trapped behind that clear substance. :eek: I carefully... tenderly... proceeded to pull on the tape trapping MINIMIDGET and promptly tore the little guy right off the front of the comic forever sealing him to that peice of tape. :censored: Now MIGHTYMAN marches alone defending America While MINIMIDGET poor little guy still is trapped behind that peice of tape forever doomed to watch from the sidelines. Yes I could not through that tape away. I keep it in the mylar right next to that issue of STARS AND STRIPES #2 Forever reminding me not to seal my treasures with adhesive tape.

Another thing to remember about taped bags, especially when you get books from other people is sometimes the tape can be wrinkled or folded over and the adhesive from the exposed tape can leave residue on the bag which can stick to whatever it comes in contact with, in this case a raw comic laid underneath it.

I still use tape, but out of habit take it off every time I take out a book out of the bag, the underside of my work table has a nice accumulation of tape pulled from bags.

(:

Ze-

There was a thread with a good discussion of using non-tape alternatives for sealing bags, which included "Post-it note tabs", "dots", and other safer options. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it right now...anyone? (shrug)

i use post-it notes. tape glue tends to dry somewhat tenaciously on Mylite 2's, so getting the things open can be a real PITA. post-its fix that problem altogether, with the added benefit of not sticking to the cover if one is so utterly uncoordinated enough to actually manage getting a post-it on one's book

I tape all my bags shut with Scotch Brand invisible tape.

What I do differently (it would seem) is create a ¼ inch flap on all pieces of tape I use. That way, I don't have to pull and possibly stretch the bag, and the tape comes right off the flap and gets harmlessly stuck to the back of the bag ready to be reused. Works like a charm.