• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me make a foster childs life better by exposing him to collecting comics.

73 posts in this topic

Methinks you miss the point and presume alot more than was presented here.

Methinks you should have chosen a more appropriate Thread Title, as it's extremely difficult to "miss the point of" Help me create a comics collector lol

But I do applaud your willingness to take in foster children and provide a loving environment - I could never be one as I would find it extremely hard to let them go back to the same environment that drove them to foster care in the first place, so definite kudos for having the fortitude. :applause:

Good for you guys, that's an impossibly hard task, but wonderful! Disney has quite a few comics, I had a few with Beauty and the Beast (which is a little too old) , Lion King, I'll see if I still have any. Superman or Batman Adventures, any of the Ducks, Donald, all the old cartoon books like Porky Pig, Loony Tunes, they don't necesarrily have to start with Spidey stuff, although the colors are attractive and there was that Electric company line they had out, someone else was looking for them for his daughter a few months ago.

The very best of luck to you all... (worship)

just give him all the age appropriate comics he wants and make sure he doesn't have to worry about messing them up. so get the cheap stuff, low grade, whatever. fish through the 50 cent box.

also, you might get some marvel coloring books out of overstock bins cheap. i bought a stack for my son for when he's ready (not there yet). it isn't "reading" so much, but it could get him into it from an imagination standpoint.

if he likes reading the material he's 75% on the way to becoming a "collector"

as a adopted child i think you are heroes! without folks like you to help there would be lots of lost children. so 3 cheers for you and your wife!

i have lots of lower grade and non collected books and would like to donate some to the interest of reading/collecting. i got some spidies that could go to start the collection.

please pm me if interested! it will be of no cost to you due to going to new collector/s :) if they are not interested you can sell them to help with careing for them :)

I'd think if they are in foster care that their reading development may be a little delayed. Of course without knowing details one can't say that with any certainty, but I be surprised if they were "ahead" in reading development.

I'd suggest taking them to the local comic shop and let them browse a bit.

I have two girls, 6 and 3 1/2 and there is a shop a short drive from home that has lots of stuff that's kid friendly. I took my children there one day because I just wanted to check it out, it's not where I shop regularly, and they love it. Every few weeks they'll ask to go to the comic book shop and I'll take them to this shop, Captain Comic in New Hyde Park.

Last time out we cleaned him out of Sabrina the teenage witch.

So I'd say scout out a local shop with a good selection for younger readers and just take them there.

Good luck and enjoy!

i dunno, i was reading comics when I was 5, that's why i ask. the stuff they printed inthe 70s wasn't terribly complicated.

but right, unless they come from unusual circumstances, chances are their education has hit some potholes in the foster process. i guess some places don't have kindergarten either.

he can read, can't he?

Five is pretty young to be reading and understanding full sentences in comics. 6-7 is more likely for that high a level of reading.

Your mileage will vary. My five year old can read Charlotte's Web...

Yeah, I know and I was reading out of the womb, but I'm speaking in general terms.

I'm living proof that life is a marathon, not a sprint. :sorry:

I don't know about anyone else, but the concept of "help me create a comics collector" doesn't exactly fill me with hope and joy for my fellow man. :insane:

Here's a novel idea: Why not expose your kids to a wide range of age-appropriate interests, and LET THEM DECIDE what they like. It could be action figures, books, cards, stickers, dolls, etc., but each kid is different and will find their own way.

I know it sounds crazy, but I hear it works.

Well with Deathlok gone you are really going to have to work extra hard to ruin threads now JC! I mean twice the work...wow!

Obviously the child has some interest in 'super-hero' stuff, so this father asked what he could do to 'foster' that interest...which would be 'possibly' collecting something and also becoming interested in reading. Sometimes you have to read slowly and get a feel for what is being said...

blast away :whatev:

Well with Deathlok gone you are really going to have to work extra hard to ruin threads now JC! I mean twice the work...wow!

Sorry Dr. Frankenstein, I prefer to let kids develop interests bases on their own likes, rather than trying to "create a comic collector".

You feel differently, fine, but I don't think too many child psychologists would agree with you.

Shootydogs says himself he is not going to "force it upon him." It is more of making it available and creating a lasting memory so later in life whenever this child picks up or sees a comic it reminds him of some of his fondest memories in a household with two loving parents. Like when you step in a pile of dog doo, the smell reminds you of your first girlfriend.

So he can either have some books available or find out what your parents did and do just the opposite

You know what my role sometimes is on here?

To say the things that a lot of people are thinking, but don't feel like voicing in public. I have no such qualms, and I guarantee a lot of people agreed with what I said, but are too polite to post it.

I say if you don't want answers, then don't post questions.

Sorry Dr. Frankenstein, I prefer to let kids develop interests bases on their own likes, rather than trying to "create a comic collector".

You feel differently, fine, but I don't think too many child psychologists would agree with you.

again, try reading...it helps... :golfclap:

You know what my role sometimes is on here?

To say the things that a lot of people are thinking, but don't feel like voicing in public. I have no such qualms, and I guarantee a lot of people agreed with what I said, but are too polite to post it.

I say if you don't want answers, then don't post questions.

Okay, anyone that misread the original post, please post now... :juggle:

I don't know, if my kid had been interestied in experimenting with crack, I'm not sure that I would agree with this...parents help guide their kids, you can always make good suggestions...they may not like the suggestions, but as a parent, you should at the very least attempt to be a good guide...and that's what he is trying to do, guide his kids towards something constructive...I don't see anything about you MUST like Archie or Spidey...just offering more choices about reading opportunities and hopefully, a healthy hobby, sounds like a great parent to me :cloud9:

I'd call my friend the child psychologist, but since she's not a mother, I don't always agree with her...nice person, but her patients go home after the sessions.

again, try reading...it helps... :golfclap:

Read this:

Help me create a comics collector