• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Next run question

My Next Run  

105 members have voted

1. 1. My Next Run

29 posts in this topic

Those are some strange runs breaking apart story arcs.

Natch I voted for the early FFs. :cloud9:

edit:

May I recomend FF 16 - 50?

That's a better break down so you won't bust story arcs on each end.

16 and 17 both are Doc Doom and 45 would break in half the Inhumans story arc.

I'd go with the later FF. Though the earlier run may have more key issues, when I read those stories in the Masterworks reprints, I was struck with how crude the inking was on Kirby's pencils. The issues beginning with the introduction of the Inhumans (mid 40s onward) are what most view as the classic issues of the run-- Joe Sinnott's inking seals the deal. Even though the Inhumans never really did it for me, their story overlaps with the introduction of the Surfer, so starting a run at #48 would throw you in right at the epilogue to the Inhumans storyline.

A run starting at #51 makes some sense. (thumbs u

I would go with the ASM run, with the later FF's a close second. You have arguably the two greatest Spider-Man artists of all time in their prime - Ditko & Romita (IMO Romita's work was far better in the earlier Spideys than the later issues). The writing was top notch and we normal guys could appreciate & relate to the everyman approach.

The FF's were also pretty good. Kirby really hit his artistic stride and was spectacular from #'s 44-60, from the covers to the giant one and two page spreads he excelled at. The cosmic storylines were cool as well.

From a DC collectors perspective, of the choices you have listed I think as reading material the FF are the best comics ever written. Spidey's are a close second. As reprints I have enjoyed the FF alot.

I voted for the Spideys...no surprise. :)

Because you need to read the end of the Master Planner saga, if nothing else!

I prefer the Ditko issues to the Romita ones overall, but the #39-#60 run has a TON of terrific covers and plenty of classic stories (Goblin unmasks Spidey, 1st MJ, 1st Kingpin, etc). Can't go wrong with these. (thumbs u

I'd go with the later FF. Though the earlier run may have more key issues, when I read those stories in the Masterworks reprints, I was struck with how crude the inking was on Kirby's pencils. The issues beginning with the introduction of the Inhumans (mid 40s onward) are what most view as the classic issues of the run-- Joe Sinnott's inking seals the deal. Even though the Inhumans never really did it for me, their story overlaps with the introduction of the Surfer, so starting a run at #48 would throw you in right at the epilogue to the Inhumans storyline.

A run starting at #51 makes some sense. (thumbs u

I still think the best inker of Kirby was Chic Stone.

The issues beginning with the introduction of the Inhumans (mid 40s onward) are what most view as the classic issues of the run (thumbs u

I'm not sure I'd agree with that...there are some pretty weighty books before the 40s! But I agree that collecting the run from the first Inhumans (45) through the Galactus/Surfer storyline (48-50) through the Dr. Doom/Surfer classics (57-60) would be an excellent run to get. Those are the issues I started with way back when, then I started working backwards...