• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Nelson to set up at Baltimore

1,017 posts in this topic

"Hell No". (tsk) I paid $1400 for that book. I am serious do he crack CGC cases or not? (shrug)

I think he does but you can easily ask him. Btw, you can try cracking CGC cases on your cheaper books. You try doing it in 5 cgc books and you will be confident enough to crack that Avengers 1. :whatev:

...Anyway, some people will make a big deal out of pressing for

as long as others will listen.

And I am grateful to these people since they opened my eyes to what is happening

in our hobby. I am able to tailor my purchases based on this education. I hope more

people, outside of this forum, are aware of the rampant undisclosed pressing going on so

they are not put at a disadvantage. (thumbs u

I see no harm in it at all.

People seem to think that Matt only presses books. :news:

he also restores/conserves them as well.

Like I said in the above post, i dont see how anything but positives can come from it.

Real-world, on the ground feedback and expose to people about pressing. Seems like

a win-win myself.

That is great that this is a win/win situation but the collectors I hang around seem to have

a different view. When I show them examples of books being pressed for higher grades and

not being disclosed (all in the pursuit of profit), they are turned off from collecting. I personally

do not think this is good for the health of our hobby. I am all for pressing as long as it is

disclosed. You note that he does more than pressing. He also conserves and restores books.

Well some of use believe that pressing is restoration but that topic has been beaten to death.

Like I said in the above post, i dont see how anything but positives can come from it.

Real-world, on the ground feedback and expose to people about pressing. Seems like

a win-win myself.

That is great that this is a win/win situation but the collectors I hang around seem to have

a different view. When I show them examples of books being pressed for higher grades and

not being disclosed (all in the pursuit of profit), they are turned off from collecting. I personally

do not think this is good for the health of our hobby. I am all for pressing as long as it is

disclosed. You note that he does more than pressing. He also conserves and restores books.

Well some of use believe that pressing is restoration but that topic has been beaten to death.

But dont you think it is a good thing that Pressing (which is what the disclosure argument is about imho) is going to be on display so people can begin to make informed decisions about it?

You make the comment that you are glad that you know so you can tailor your purchases :applause:

Shouldnt Matt setting up d the same thing, educate so they can decide, that it did for you? Then we can begin to see if people consider pressing a big deal or not.

Arex

a win-win myself.

But dont you think it is a good thing that Pressing (which is what the disclosure argument is about imho) is going to be on display so people can begin to make informed decisions about it?

You make the comment that you are glad that you know so you can tailor your purchases :applause:

Shouldnt Matt setting up d the same thing, educate so they can decide, that it did for you? Then we can begin to see if people consider pressing a big deal or not.

Arex

Or he could proactively disclose the books he's mangled and is selling on eBay and we could make the same discoveries? (shrug)

Because according to Matt, nobody cares, so it's not like he's going to lose out. meh

Shouldnt Matt setting up d the same thing, educate so they can decide, that it did for you?

Then we can begin to see if people consider pressing a big deal or not.

Arex

That would be great but I suspect he will use the opportunity to promote his business

as well as the dollars that can be made by the .2 plus jump than can be achieved by using

his services. There was a time that 8.0 was considered a high grade book. Generally

speaking, pressing has relegated that grade down due to the voluminous amount of enhanced

books materializing. There is nothing wrong with what he is doing but I do wish he discloses

the pressing in his auctions for those of us who do care.

The problem is I don't have a certified books in that range. They are all 8.0+. I will send him an e-mail though.

I might have to buy some cheap books on feebay for practice... hm

-CC

It actually quite easy. Ive tryed it on a cheap book once

Generally

speaking, pressing has relegated that grade down due to the voluminous amount of enhanced

Where are you gleaming your evidence for this from?

VF is still a HG book. Is it UHG, no, but to many amny many, VF is still just peachy.

a win-win myself.

A) Not all pressing is done in the pursuit of profit. B) When CGC first came on the scene many people did not/still don't believe that it was good for the hobby. C) You can put a book at the bottom of a stack of books and leave it there several years and it will come out pressed. When has anyone ever pulled a book out from under a stack of books and it have color touch, pieces added and tears sealed? D) Ad nauseam.

horse.gif

I posted this somewhere else, so I guess I can here too.

What is the difference between what Matt is doing now and what dealers and collectors have been doing for 50 years, which is sticking a bent or warped comic on a flat surface and under 5 - 10 heavy books? Wouldn't that also be pressing? There will NEVER be a record of all the books which were pressed in this way.

What about when you find a collection of books and they are just plain dirty? Most dealers have bought collections like this. You can literally wipe the dirt off the books? Is this cleaning a book?

Yes, pressing does, in a sense, restore a book to its original condition. But it doesn't alter the original book in any material way. Nothing added, nothing taken away. No enhancements to make the book look better than what is actually already there.

Some of you guys are confused about what pressing does. Very rarely does pressing ever take a book from 8.0 to 9.4 or better. You can't press out a crease that wrinkles the paper. You can press out a bend, you can press out small indentions, you can press out spine roll. That is basically it.

Some of you guys are confused about what pressing does. Very rarely does pressing ever take a book from 8.0 to 9.4 or better. You can't press out a crease that wrinkles the paper. You can press out a bend, you can press out small indentions, you can press out spine roll. That is basically it.

You need to read this thread:

Manufactured Gold

I know Matt has a ton of books to sell... and not all (and maybe not even most) are pressed. He does hit the shows regualrly looking to scoop up deals and he doesn't mind laying out the green for the right books.

Which are the books that he knows he can press to a higher grade. Buy them raw at VF+, work a bit of magic, sell them slabbed at 9.6. (thumbs u

Manufactured collectibles. :banana: :banana: :banana:

That's absolutely not true. He will often buy raw and submit them without any mods. Of course if they *do* need some TLC, and it makes financial sense, he will press it.

BTW, where are you getting those eBay 8.5s and having them pressed to 9.6? Sure, you can take a 9.2 and, maybe if you're lucky, get a 9.6 (or a 9.0) but it's virtually impossible to make an 8.5 a 9.6. You're just a hater. :baiting:

Does anyone know if Matt cracks CGC cases? There are a couple of issues such as the Avengers #1 @ CGC 6.5 that I am afraid to open on my own. Although I have look at various pictures and videos I still do not have enough confidence to attempt it. For some odd reason I want read MY copy.

Thanks,

CC

Bring it to Baltimore and I will do it for you... seriously. There's nothing to it, I've done dozens.

I posted this somewhere else, so I guess I can here too.

What is the difference between what Matt is doing now and what dealers and collectors have been doing for 50 years, which is sticking a bent or warped comic on a flat surface and under 5 - 10 heavy books?

About 700 degrees and 8 tonne. meh

Where have you been for the last few years??? :insane: