• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: BRONZE AGE SURVIVOR SERIES - Round 16

Choose a comic to depart this list  

327 members have voted

1. 1. Choose a comic to depart this list

135 posts in this topic

First Ra's al Ghul again, because if it were not for Batman Begins, 90% of non comic readers would have no idea who he was. And many who do know, like myself, do not give a damn, because Batman belongs where he started, in Detective comics, and has no business in the affairs of real superheroes.

First Ra's al Ghul again, because if it were not for Batman Begins, 90% of non comic readers would have no idea who he was. And many who do know, like myself, do not give a damn, because Batman belongs where he started, in Detective comics, and has no business in the affairs of real superheroes.

Great points. lol Batman has no business being considered in the affairs of superheroes. He's a real third-rater, that Batman. He has no real history, outside of that recent movie that came out about him.

Great points. lol Batman has no business being considered in the affairs of superheroes. He's a real third-rater, that Batman. He has no real history, outside of that recent movie that came out about him.

lol (thumbs u

You guys are a bunch of knuckleheads. Voting Cerebus off that early. :screwy:

Agreed.

+1. :pullhair:

Goes to show that some people really should expand their reading beyond just men in tights fighting other men in tights. Perhaps this has something to do with 300.

Have you ever tried riding a motocycle while your head is on fire?

Strangely enough, yes.

Must have been one hell of a hangover!

Did not say he was wasn't a great fictional character with a rich history. It is just my opinion. Just get annoyed of seeing team-ups where the other characters can fly and destroy cities, and then there's the guy dressed like a bat who can be taken out by a car accident or food poisoning.

Again, my opinion. Some people hate the comics that I love and vice-versa.

Have you ever tried riding a motocycle while your head is on fire?

Strangely enough, yes.

Must have been one hell of a hangover!

stop yelling :sick:

Notify Mod button hit #??(I lost track). :hi:

Did not say he was wasn't a great fictional character with a rich history. It is just my opinion. Just get annoyed of seeing team-ups where the other characters can fly and destroy cities, and then there's the guy dressed like a bat who can be taken out by a car accident or food poisoning.

Just to riff on that point a bit... rantrant

One of the things that appealed to me as a kid was the diversity of the DC hero books in the early 1970s. At that time you had the Batman books as pretty much straight crime/detective whodunnits, with only occasional costumed villains appearing. Flash was where you went for costumed heroes vs. villains, and since GL was the backup feature at the time, that book was probably DC's most colorful title. The Superman titles were largely science-fiction-based, moreso than I think any other time in the strip's history. Even the backup features had their own unique styles: Green Arrow in Action Comics was down-to-earth while Superman was juggling planets. In Detective Comics you had private eyes (Jason Bard) or espionage tales (Manhunter).

So the lack of Marvel-style continuity was-- to me at least-- a strength of the line. When all these diverse characters came together in Justice League, it really felt to me like a worlds-collide event every single issue. In today's continual crossover environment, it does seem like we've lost something unique about each character. For example, in the Hush series of a few years ago, we saw a flashback to the young Bruce Wayne being inspired by watching the golden age Green Lantern fly around Gotham City, zapping things with his power ring. It just seemed wrong somehow.

And, at the same time, this continual crossover environment seems to require a constant racheting up of the stakes every year or so to try to juice up a really special event. So it's no longer enough for the characters to simply join forces to tackle a common threat (since they do that every other month anyway). Instead, it has to be a universe-shattering event or all-out civil war.

ASM #122 and the "death" of the Green Goblin. Good stories alone aren't enough for me on this list.

Now excuse me while I go fight a windmill.

i suspect the #121 and #122 will split votes and hang around the list for way too long.

I voted for #121 because who the hell cares that Gwen Stacey dies? She`s certainly not the first Marvel character to die, nor is she even the first girlfriend/supporting cast member to die. But I think you`re right, so from the next round I`ll start voting for #122 since that seems to be attracting more votes.

Just to riff on that point a bit... rantrant

One of the things that appealed to me as a kid was the diversity of the DC hero books in the early 1970s. At that time you had the Batman books as pretty much straight crime/detective whodunnits, with only occasional costumed villains appearing. Flash was where you went for costumed heroes vs. villains, and since GL was the backup feature at the time, that book was probably DC's most colorful title. The Superman titles were largely science-fiction-based, moreso than I think any other time in the strip's history. Even the backup features had their own unique styles: Green Arrow in Action Comics was down-to-earth while Superman was juggling planets. In Detective Comics you had private eyes (Jason Bard) or espionage tales (Manhunter).

So the lack of Marvel-style continuity was-- to me at least-- a strength of the line. When all these diverse characters came together in Justice League, it really felt to me like a worlds-collide event every single issue. In today's continual crossover environment, it does seem like we've lost something unique about each character. For example, in the Hush series of a few years ago, we saw a flashback to the young Bruce Wayne being inspired by watching the golden age Green Lantern fly around Gotham City, zapping things with his power ring. It just seemed wrong somehow.

And, at the same time, this continual crossover environment seems to require a constant racheting up of the stakes every year or so to try to juice up a really special event. So it's no longer enough for the characters to simply join forces to tackle a common threat (since they do that every other month anyway). Instead, it has to be a universe-shattering event or all-out civil war.

Uh... yeah... what he said. I agree completely.

On topic, I voted for Thanos again. Frank Miller's DD work is far more significant than a Darkseid clone. And I hate to tell you guys this, but Miller's writing in DD 168 is not that good. He had lots of room to improve (and he used that room admirably in upcoming work).