• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: BRONZE AGE SURVIVOR SERIES - Round 16

Choose a comic to depart this list  

327 members have voted

1. 1. Choose a comic to depart this list

135 posts in this topic

MS 5 First appearance of a second tier character. The only thing Ghost Rider ever did was get cancelled :baiting: Besides, I like Thanos or I would've voted him off.

yes. Spotlight 5. seriously, first appearance of a pretty stupid character. oh gosh, he rides a motorcycle whoopdefriggingdo

Have you ever tried riding a motocycle while your head is on fire? It takes mad skills!

Surprisingly, I've either had or read most of the books on the list when they came out (aside from the 60's stuff). I believe that we tend to look at these books with a lot of nostalgia, and that can play into our choices. Like I said, I have a soft spot for Starlin because I read the Warlock books when they came out and was a huge fan. Consequently, I'm less apt to vote off IM 55 because of the Thanos connection. Does it deserve to be voted off, probably. I don't follow moderns, but what has the character of Thanos done lately? Probably not much. But, boy, those Starlin Warlock stories :cloud9:

I'm 41 and didn't get to read the ASM's, Conan's, etc. when they were "new". But I think I've read about every book on here at some point.

It all depends on how you approach the vote. There is no right or wrong answer. If you go by what book had the most historical impact? During the BA or after? First appearances? For that matter, which one you like.

I find it tough to vote on "good story" alone because there are too many to count from this era. I don't base it on value.

ASM #122 and the "death" of the Green Goblin. Good stories alone aren't enough for me on this list.

Now excuse me while I go fight a windmill.

Are you calling me a windmill, sir? CHARGE! :sumo:;)

On a serious note, I can't make up my mind which Daredevil I want to vote off. Shadow made me feel bad re: Conan, so I'm going to put off voting for him off (for now), so hook me up. Which one bites the dust?

No, you're not the windmill. lol I was referring to Don Quixote.

BTW, any Daredevil is a fine choice.

Have you ever tried riding a motocycle while your head is on fire?

Strangely enough, yes.

that explains more than a few things

You guys are a bunch of knuckleheads. Voting Cerebus off that early. :screwy:

Well, this same group of knuckleheads voted off Jonah Hex in the first round, so nothing surprises me anymore. (shrug)

Andy

I don't see how anyone could knock the DD #158 if you read the books all around it. Miller was groundbreaking at the time.

Miller's first art on DD is significant, yes. But not near as significant as when he took over the writing duties as well.

Yeah, Elektra has never been a top tier character, but her first appearance isn't the main reason (IMO) that #168 is a key book (it helps though). It's Miller taking over the writing duties.

Like you said, read the issues around the books in question as comparison. The Miller written stuff is leaps and bounds better than when he was just drawing the book.

ASM #122 and the "death" of the Green Goblin. Good stories alone aren't enough for me on this list.

Now excuse me while I go fight a windmill.

Are you calling me a windmill, sir? CHARGE! :sumo:;)

On a serious note, I can't make up my mind which Daredevil I want to vote off. Shadow made me feel bad re: Conan, so I'm going to put off voting for him off (for now), so hook me up. Which one bites the dust?

No, you're not the windmill. lol I was referring to Don Quixote.

BTW, any Daredevil is a fine choice.

And Don Quixote thought it was a dragon if I remember my Cervantes correctly-- do you believe me to be a dragon? lol Sorry- long, long day at work. I think I'm voting 158 off; 168 includes Miller's work on DD and it also has a 1st appearance. It survives one round longer.

And Dale, I'm only a whipper snapper- 27. I have read nearly all of these books, however, and own a handful of them. I try to look at the artwork, the impact of the book- both immediate and long term, story quality, and finally (and most importantly) my personal preference. When judging books, for good or bad, it always comes back to how much do I like it. (shrug) What can you do?

I went after Ghost Rider. Just wasn't much of a factor in the BA, at least at the time for me and my circle.

I'm 44, by the way, and read and/or debated these books as they were coming out.

I stopped reading new comics in the early 80's, so some of the later significance of some of the characters is lost on me. Books that were bigger at the time than they seem to be now were: Conan (by far the most influencial character at the time!), Swamp Thing, the whole Starlin saga, Miller Daredevil, and of course X-men.

On the other hand, Wolverine, Punisher, and even Spider-man weren't as big then as they are now. And Batman was a mere shadow of what he would become (although the Marshall Rogers run in Detective really caught my attention).

Anyway, that's how I remember things!

Books that were bigger at the time than they seem to be now were: Conan (by far the most influencial character at the time!), Swamp Thing, the whole Starlin saga, Miller Daredevil, and of course X-men.

That's an important point, as what was hot then, is often not viewed the same way today.

For example, those early Defenders issues were like the holy grail to me, as were early MTU and virtually all Avengers books. When I finally got around to snagging the back issues to the Avengers-Defenders war (probably the first big cross-over event) I thought I died and went to heaven.

And don't even get me going on Captain Marvel and Warlock - I must have read Captain Marvel 32 and Warlock 10 about a million times. Finally completing the Starlin runs was another milestone in my early collecting days.

You guys are a bunch of knuckleheads. Voting Cerebus off that early. :screwy:

Well, this same group of knuckleheads voted off Jonah Hex in the first round, so nothing surprises me anymore. (shrug)

That's what I say too.

43075-spoony.jpg

I'm afraid it's all too predictable for me from here.

No DC books in the final five, maybe the final ten.

Final books are mostly or all X-Men, X-Men first appearances and Spider-Man.

Giant-Size X-Men is the big winner.

Have fun.

Jack