• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You MUST Read Boy Comics #19

20 posts in this topic

So here's the deal. I picked up Boy Comics 19 at the convention the past weekend. It was a comic I'd been wanting a decent display copy of for a while, largely due to the "unique" amputee/subway cover.

boycomics19.jpg

I posted this on the "Have a Cigar" thread and was immediately asked if the interior had a story to compliment the cover. I flipped through the pages and found the amputee in question getting hit by the subway car. And I gave a quick glance to the story. But, in all honesty, I hadn't read the whole issue yet.

I just sat down tonight and read it. I'm in complete shock at how twisted and awesome the "Crimbuster" story was.

Do yourself a favor and go grab a beater of this book just to read it. You WILL NOT be disappointed. (I'm sure a bunch of you that have been in the hobby longer have already read it-- but to those that have not...)

*****SPOILERS******

If you absolutely can't get a hold of the book, below is the Reader's Digest Condensed version of the most twisted tale ever printed in a funnybook...

So there's this begger with no legs. He's gotten about $1million begging over the years, apparently. He talks about dreaming of opening a "cripples" hospital one day. He has a caretaker who hates him.

The caretaker hires a hitman to push the begger onto the subway tracks, making it look like an accident. This way, the caretaker will get the $1million, because the begger has left it to him in his will.

The hitman does this. BUT, when the caretaker goes to the lawyer, he finds out he only will get the money if he meets the following provision in the will: he must have no legs.

So now, already owing $50,000 to the hitman, the caretaker goes to see a surgeon. (Obviously, not a licensed one.) He says he'll pay the surgeon $100,000 if he amputates his legs. The surgeon agrees to do so.

So the caretaker goes back to the lawyer after his legs are gone. The lawyer then informs him that after funeral expenses, legal fees, etc. he's only going to get $150,000 (the amount he owes to people.) So, he kills the lawyer with a letter opener. (He makes it look like an accident.)

He goes back to the surgeon and gives him the $100,000. The surgeon takes it and puts it in a safe. Then the caretaker asks the surgeon to attach some "phoney" legs to him so he can get around. The surgeon says "you never mentioned [that]." Basically, the surgeon can't attach prosthetics because he didn't leave behind anything to attach them to!!! Naturally, the caretaker pushes the surgeon out a window and kills him, saying it will look like a suicide. Sure enough, the police are on the way, so the caretaker doesn't have enough time to get his money out of the safe.

So now the caretaker is down to $50,000. He's in a room and the hitman is coming to get paid. The caretaker says, to paraphrase, he won't give the hitman the money. So there's a FULL PAGE of the caretaker getting whipped around into walls and stuff and beat by the hitman. (It seems particularly awful since the caretaker now has no legs, which the hitman expresses in dialogue is a huge disadvantage.)

So the hitman kills the caretaker and goes to make an alibi for himself in a nearby park. BUT Crimbuster is there and forces a confession from him. (A nearby policeman hears it.)

The last panel of the book is a medic, the policeman, and Crimebuster talking about what happened. The medic is saying it's a good thing he didn't get one more gulp of water or he'd have drowned. The policeman says he wishes he had because it would save the state the cost of killing him!!!! (hahahaha)

This was a truly awesome story. So many great twists and turns. And it's hugely disturbing too. Lots of WWII era adverts in the frontcover as well.

If you like pre-code books it's really a must have.

So now the caretaker is down to $50,000. He's in a room and the hitman is coming to get paid. The caretaker says, to paraphrase, he won't give the hitman the money. So there's a FULL PAGE of the caretaker getting whipped around into walls and stuff and beat by the hitman. (It seems particularly awful since the caretaker now has no legs, which the hitman expresses in dialogue is a huge disadvantage.)

You're right, the whole story is one continuous train wreck for that "caretaker". Here's a visual aid for every one. Words can't convey effectively the intensity of the beating he's taking -

43080-Boy19-Whipping.jpg.60aed3b6fde3f45378b42460918eab28.jpg

reminds me of John Goodman in the Coen's Big Lebowski when he's smashing the Lamboughini screaming:

"Ya see that, Donny? Ya see what happens when you another man in the ???

Corvette :gossip:

and it's "*spoon* a stranger in the *spoon*"

:gossip: :gossip:

The caretaker hires a hitman to push the begger onto the subway tracks, making it look like an accident. This way, the caretaker will get the $1million, because the begger has left it to him in his will.

So the caretaker goes back to the lawyer after his legs are gone. The lawyer then informs him that after funeral expenses, legal fees, etc. he's only going to get $150,000 (the amount he owes to people.) So, he kills the lawyer with a letter opener. (He makes it look like an accident.)

$850,000 in fees and expenses?! :tonofbricks: Freakin' lawyers. :baiting:

Thanks for sharing that, Rob. :applause: