• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop the insanity!

31 posts in this topic

I was watching the current batch of CGCed Avengers being auctioned by vigilantecomics on Ebay, thinking I might bid on a few that I'm missing from my collection.

Looks like I was mistaken. How does a sane person compete with this?

GPA prices for Avengers #3 CGC 7.0 have ranged from $200 to an all-time high of $275 in the past four years.

Here's the result from last night:

Avengers #3 CGC 7.0 - OW/W pages

His Avengers #2 CGC 7.0 also set a record: $660, when the maximum prior to that was $380. His copy does have white pages, though:

Avengers #2 CGC 7.0 - W pages

He has a bunch more closing today and tomorrow, including a #1 Dallas Stevens/Mile High.

You should have bought Brians raw copy in the marketplace :makepoint:

I've got my #2 and #3. I was interested in his #9 and #11, but if this is any indication, they'll go for more than they're worth.

I can't keep up with the all the comings and going in the marketplace. I try to check it a couple times a week, but the sweet stuff goes awfully fast.

His Avengers #2 CGC 7.0 also set a record: $660, when the maximum prior to that was $380. His copy does have white pages, though:

For the past 3 VCCs, I have listed but failed to sell a gorgeous Avengers #2 conservatively graded as a VF (it was sold to me by a well-known dealer as a VF+) for a bit over $400. Excellent page quality, too. Go figure.

(shrug)

Yeah, I'm betting it's related to the movie. I got back into collecting Avengers because they were my favourites in the 60s. But my timing couldn't have been much worse. It does appear that there are some Ebay speculators who may be trying to cash in on the upcoming movie.

All it takes is two people with more money than sense to turn an Ebay auction ugly.

But when you're paying over 3X the going rate for a book -- especially when the price has been flat for a good 4+ years -- I think it's highly unlikely you'll recoup your investment any time soon, movie or no movie.

Daredevil should be a lesson to the superhero movie speculators.

Is it for sale? I've been meaning to get into Marvel hero stuff...I want to be cool like everyone else... :whistle:

Nah, it suks, just stick to that BA horror stuff :baiting:

NEVER TRUST PRIVATE LISTINGS - 99% OF THEM ARE SCAMS

I agree but I know this guy and he is 100% solid from my experiences. We've bought and sold a number of times. A lot of (well respected) dealers also know him.

Roy.

Also boyz and girlz, if you inspect the books they look MUCH nicer than the assigned grades (and white pages on one of them). Well showing white pagers will always grab a premium over an inferior book in the smae grade, nes pas?

R.

I was watching the current batch of CGCed Avengers being auctioned by vigilantecomics on Ebay, thinking I might bid on a few that I'm missing from my collection.

Looks like I was mistaken. How does a sane person compete with this?

GPA prices for Avengers #3 CGC 7.0 have ranged from $200 to an all-time high of $275 in the past four years.

Here's the result from last night:

Avengers #3 CGC 7.0 - OW/W pages

Avengers #2 CGC 7.0 - W pages

He has a bunch more closing today and tomorrow, including a #1 Dallas Stevens/Mile High.

The prices for the #2 and #3 were nuts. I bid on a few of the auctions as well, and was surprised at some of the winning bids. Pedigree.com has a #2 in 7.0 with a sale price of $450 - it only has off-white pages, but $210 seems like a pretty steep premium for marginally better PQ. (shrug)

Also boyz and girlz, if you inspect the books they look MUCH nicer than the assigned grades (and white pages on one of them). Well showing white pagers will always grab a premium over an inferior book in the smae grade, nes pas?

R.

The scans on the auction weren't large enough to see if they presented really well. Did you get larger scans from the seller?

Maybe they did present well, but the #3 didn't even have white pages. They were OW/W.

Also, if well showing white pagers always grab a premium, then I guess that means that none of the other 15 copies of #3 listed on GPA as sold in the last 5 years showed well or had white pages, since none of them sold for a premium.

Which one of these prices doesn't fit?

$169

$182

$310

$203

$227

$265

$250

$220

$173

$224

$261

$227

$275

$232

$382

$735

I would hazard a guess that at least one of those other 15 copies showed well and had white pages.