• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern Collecting Thread.
6 6

1,524 posts in this topic

I just recently got into GL pretty heavily, but this is probably the best book in my whole GL collection.

(Cross posted, sorry!)

3746289137_06c97bdb81.jpg

You ain't kidding when you jumped into it heavily. Way to go. (thumbs u

Does he still operate Pacific Comic Exchange? If yes, are the books listed on both sites?

Don`t know if PCE is still running, but Roter never listed the majority of the PC DCs on PCE.

The data fields weren`t big enough to accomodate all the zeros, I think.

Posted this on another thread before I found this GL thread...

...but does anyone know who owns the Pacific Coast run that has been sitting on Comic Link for the past couple years?

Are you looking to get the Pacific Coast run of GL? If so good luck that might take some time.

While books continually go into my collection rarely do books ever go out. I am not much of a DC collector but do have a couple DC slabs I have picked up over the years. One is a Green Lantern #1. With all the interest lately in Green Lantern I am debating whether I should sell it to someone who would enjoy it more than me.

While it is graded 8.5 it has dreaded LT-OW :eek: pages. This was graded back in the days, when according to Steve, CGC didn't give books with LT-OW pages grades better than 8.5 (there are posts refering to this - use the search function). although I have seen the occassional more recently graded LT-OW books with 9.0 or 9.2. Other than the page quality the book looks steller. If I was to part with the book what do you think I could get for it?

84899.jpg.405a8f60a25229d2ba0b7a19fd50125b.jpg

Edited by david20009

While books continually go into my collection rarely do books ever go out. I am not much of a DC collector but do have a couple DC slabs I have picked up over the years. One is a Green Lantern #1. With all the interest lately in Green Lantern I am debating whether I should sell it to someone who would enjoy it more than me.

While it is graded 8.5 it has dreaded LT-OW :eek: pages. This was graded back in the days, when according to Steve, CGC didn't give books with LT-OW pages grades better than 8.5 (there are posts refering to this - use the search function). although I have seen the occassional more recently graded LT-OW books with 9.0 or 9.2. Other than the page quality the book looks steller. If I was to part with the book what do you think I could get for it?

:takeit: $1.000 :grin:

While it is graded 8.5 it has dreaded LT-OW :eek: pages. This was graded back in the days, when according to Steve, CGC didn't give books with LT-OW pages grades better than 8.5 (there are posts refering to this - use the search function). although I have seen the occassional more recently graded LT-OW books with 9.0 or 9.2. Other than the page quality the book looks steller.

You`re not kidding, it looks really sharp. I bet you`d do better selling it raw than in a slab where the LT-OW designation will just punish it.

I would put it in the Clink fixed price section at 3X guide and see what kind of offers it attracts....you may be surprised. At the least, the results would be interesting and free. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

While it is graded 8.5 it has dreaded LT-OW :eek: pages. This was graded back in the days, when according to Steve, CGC didn't give books with LT-OW pages grades better than 8.5 (there are posts refering to this - use the search function). although I have seen the occassional more recently graded LT-OW books with 9.0 or 9.2. Other than the page quality the book looks steller.

You`re not kidding, it looks really sharp. I bet you`d do better selling it raw than in a slab where the LT-OW designation will just punish it.

You are implying he should deceive a potential buyer.. :o

Wow, nice book! If I owned it I would crack the slab in s second and take in all those crisp toasty pages...White pages are for sissies!

I would put it in the Clink fixed price section at 3X guide and see what kind of offers it attracts....you may be surprised. At the least, the results would be interesting and free. GOD BLESS...

Thanks for everyone's advice. As I really don't know what I should ask for maybe I'll take jimbo's advice and put it up on ComicLink. I don't need to sell the book just GL is fairly popular right now and I'm not much of a Silver Age DC guy so someone else could enjoy the book and I could funnel the cash into another book. (I'd also have no problem trading it). Selling books is a bit of a strange concept to me as out of my 8,000 plus books I have only had 4 ever leave my collection and the last time was over a decade ago. (Much to my wife's chagrin I am a packrat).

I'll keep it slabbed if I sell it. While I am known to a few people in the comic community as a buyer I am obviously unknown as a seller and thus I don't expect people to automatically accept either my level of competance in grading or detecting restoration. Having it slabbed eliminates those problems. Also I would never sell a book without full disclosure as I expect that as a buyer.

My biggest concern is I'll sell the book and

1) someone will resubmit it and it will get a grade of 9/9.2 as CGC is inconsistant in their grading of page quality (IMHO) and even if they don't change the PQ there seems to be have been a change in standards as some LT-OW books get 9.0 or 9.2 now

2) A pressing wizard will acquire the book and it will be optomized and flipped for a lot more than I sold it for.

Thanks for everyone's advice. As I really don't know what I should ask for maybe I'll take jimbo's advice and put it up on ComicLink.

1) someone will resubmit it and it will get a grade of 9/9.2 as CGC is inconsistant in their grading of page quality (IMHO) and even if they don't change the PQ there seems to be have been a change in standards as some LT-OW books get 9.0 or 9.2 now

2) A pressing wizard will acquire the book and it will be optomized and flipped for a lot more than I sold it for.

To put your book up on Clink, might really be yout best option.

As of your concerns, as discussed in some other thread recently, the LT pq could be improved, by having the comic pressed by a professional, like Matt.

By pressing, not only the pq might improve, but also the grade.

He can then send the book to cgc and it might even come back a 9.2 or higher.

However, the best way not to be angry about someone else resubmitting the book and get a better grade afterwards, is to do it yourself.

Send the book to a professional, have it resubmitted to cgc and then list it on a site or even better, put it in an auction on Heritage, Comiclink or CC.

Whatever you do, it´s a very beautiful book! Good luck with it (thumbs u

Thanks for everyone's advice. As I really don't know what I should ask for maybe I'll take jimbo's advice and put it up on ComicLink.

As of your concerns, as discussed in some other thread recently, the LT pq could be improved, by having the comic pressed by a professional, like Matt.

However, the best way not to be angry about someone else resubmitting the book and get a better grade afterwards, is to do it yourself.

Send the book to a professional, have it resubmitted to cgc and then list it on a site or even better, put it in an auction on Heritage, Comiclink or CC.

Just curious, but how would pressing improve the page quality?

Just curious, but how would pressing improve the page quality?

The tan pages have to do with their structure, not exactly the "color" cgc is stating. Pages can be cream or white, brittle or off-white. Tan pages on the other hand, have to do with the pages structure however and some times it´s even possible to straighten them by pressing. Can´t remember where exactly 'I read it on the boards, but here´s a link and there might also be some discussion on the Showcase #22 thread. Some boardies make some really good points. Check it out ;)

I strongly disagree with this advice. Don`t press the book. Just leave it alone.

I strongly disagree with this advice. Don`t press the book. Just leave it alone.

I'm not sure if you said not to press it because you are against pressing.

But from a pure "get as much out of the book as possible" potential, NOT pressing it might get you a better return. Why? I think because people will be bidding on the potential of the book which in their eyes would cause them to bid the book up more. IOW, you get it pressed, but only see a slight upgrade if at all, then you don't gain much value. Leave it, and some crazies will be seeing "$$$ i can press!!!" and bid it up on the potential alone which is a risk you may not want to take but others might. After all, in an auction, it only takes 2 bidders.

Does he still operate Pacific Comic Exchange? If yes, are the books listed on both sites?

Don`t know if PCE is still running, but Roter never listed the majority of the PC DCs on PCE.

The data fields weren`t big enough to accomodate all the zeros, I think.

lol

I'm not sure if you said not to press it because you are against pressing.

But from a pure "get as much out of the book as possible" potential, NOT pressing it might get you a better return. Why? I think because people will be bidding on the potential of the book which in their eyes would cause them to bid the book up more. IOW, you get it pressed, but only see a slight upgrade if at all, then you don't gain much value. Leave it, and some crazies will be seeing "$$$ i can press!!!" and bid it up on the potential alone which is a risk you may not want to take but others might. After all, in an auction, it only takes 2 bidders.

I'm with Tim (tth2). Don't press it.