• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern Collecting Thread.
6 6

1,532 posts in this topic

I missed the auctions due to running around with the kids, but I thought that the #6 went for a good price considering I sold the 7.0 copy I posted on the site in December for $250 within 24 hours.

a cheer heard from HK as the smushed MC #4 9.2 sells for less as a 9.4

:banana::banana:

Take that, evildoers! :sumo:

It's been happening so often...a flipper lost again and this is the seller reaction :cry:

A big part of the probem with the Mound City early GL books is that prices were driven up by one collector who was chasing and outbid by the speculators. As we know, the market is small at the top end for SA DCs so once a couple of the collectors fill their runs with suitable alternative copies prices have nowhere to go but down. The pancake and flip game works better with SA Marvels since the pool of buyers is much larger.

In addition, I think that since it was speculators who purchased a lot of these books initially they have shut out most of the other speculators who could have bid up books on a slab and flip premise. The blatant "upgrading" of these books likely sours collectors as well since they can easily see what the "raw" grade was before the pancake and reslab since this was a high profile auction.

Add in the fact that the MC books sold at a market top, and you have a recipe for disaster from a profit perspective.

a cheer heard from HK as the smushed MC #4 9.2 sells for less as a 9.4

:banana::banana:

Take that, evildoers! :sumo:

It's been happening so often...a flipper lost again and this is the seller reaction :cry:

A big part of the probem with the Mound City early GL books is that prices were driven up by one collector who was chasing and outbid by the speculators. As we know, the market is small at the top end for SA DCs so once a couple of the collectors fill their runs with suitable alternative copies prices have nowhere to go but down. The pancake and flip game works better with SA Marvels since the pool of buyers is much larger.

In addition, I think that since it was speculators who purchased a lot of these books initially they have shut out most of the other speculators who could have bid up books on a slab and flip premise. The blatant "upgrading" of these books likely sours collectors as well since they can easily see what the "raw" grade was before the pancake and reslab since this was a high profile auction.

Add in the fact that the MC books sold at a market top, and you have a recipe for disaster from a profit perspective.

I sense during that time we were near a top for the SA market and have mention in the boards about it. I predicted the first million dollar comic sale, and more to come. This scenerio had played out and speculations played a big role. Prices couldn't rise forever in a straight line for so long, so a crash and pullback was inevitable. Many of the SA are still up substantially the last ten years, so this is healthy for the market. There were lot of fast money coming into the market, and some of the collectors are ending up holding the bag. The winners it this market are: the auctioneer, collectors/investors who did not over extend themselves, and the patience collectors.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Grab a decent looking copy now before the movie spike hits in fuller force. The books to get are: #1, 7, 8, 9 (1st Sinestro cover and very tough in HG), #15 (prices are down right now but 2nd Sinestro cover), #16, #18, #29 (1st Black Hand = Blackest Night), #40, #76, and #87.

Grab a decent looking copy now before the movie spike hits in fuller force. The books to get are: #1, 7, 8, 9 (1st Sinestro cover and very tough in HG), #15 (prices are down right now but 2nd Sinestro cover), #16, #18, #29 (1st Black Hand = Blackest Night), #40, #76, and #87.
Thanks for the info :applause: