• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many people do you know have 10+ copies of Hulk #181 in CGC 9.4 or better?

How many people do you know POSITIVELY have 10+ copies of Hulk #181 in CGC 9.4 or better condition?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. How many people do you know POSITIVELY have 10+ copies of Hulk #181 in CGC 9.4 or better condition?

105 posts in this topic

I saw a short box about 3 quarters full at Wonder Con less than 10 years ago does that count as anything? If I remember it was not owned by a dealer but by a horder going around from dealer to dealer selling them off. I remember they were picking off the higher grade copies.confused-smiley-013.gif

If I remember correctly the copies were mostly above F/VF going up to around NM–. By the end of the show most of the higher grade books had been picked off 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It counts. I think it proves that in a 3/4 quarters full box of Hulk 181s by a collector that hoarded them there probably were few if any copies that were CGC 9.4 or better. It also proves that one of these "guys" that hoarded them were smart enough to take their stash to a Comic Con to shop around for the best price and that he was trying to make maximum profit on his investment. Goes against the theory that people keep multiple copies for reasons other than flipping them at some point in the future for profit.

I am still waiting to hear about the long boxes full of HG copies that were hoarded. devil.gif

Well, if you were a rich person and the value of comics meant nothing to you as some people in this forum claim it wouldn't matter whether or not you let people know you had a stash. JCs whole argument is that the people who have hoarded "large quantities" of Hulk 181 don't care because they have much more valuable GA and SA comics in their collection. JC said he has absolutely no idea what the value of his own collection would be. He collects what he likes and value doesn't matter. That being the case... PROVE IT! Take a pic of your stash of Hulk 181s or have your many friends take a pic of theirs so we can see it. This debate can be over very easily and I will stfu. sumo.gif

MMM - I am far from rich and hope that JC and anyone else who feels like it bestows to me their stash of Hulk 181s in 9.4 or better! insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Anyone who can help me, please PM me for my address smile.gif

DAM

I am still waiting to hear about the long boxes full of HG copies that were hoarded.

A could agree with that, however I do think that there are still hundreds 9.4's that are still wating to be graded. As for long boxes of 9.4's held by one person right now??? I don't think so.

I am still waiting to hear about the long boxes full of HG copies that were hoarded.

A could agree with that, however I do think that there are still hundreds 9.4's that are still wating to be graded. As for long boxes of 9.4's held by one person right now??? I don't think so.

Oh, I think there most likely are hundreds still waiting to be graded that might get a 9.4 grade or better. However, I doubt there are 1,000s or 10,000+ out there and would gladly eat my words if proven wrong.

I doubt there are 1,000s or 10,000+ out there and would gladly eat my words if proven wrong.

How about you eat a POS Hulk 181. That might get someone to post some pictures. I can see it now...after showing off their stacks of Hulk 181's at the next major comic-con CGC forum dinner everyone eats sushi except for MMM who gets a nice plate of Hulk 181.

On topic : I do think that there are dealers, specs, and a handful of collectors that have numerous copies of Hulk 181. As for how many, I have no idea. As for me, I do not even own one copy of Hulk 181, much less short or long boxes of them. I would like to own a copy in 9.4 or better, but I do feel that given a little more time, a few more census updates, and the passing of another X-Men or Wolverine solo movie I will be able to get one cheaper than I can now.

Just my .02.

I doubt there are 1,000s or 10,000+ out there and would gladly eat my words if proven wrong.

How about you eat a POS Hulk 181. That might get someone to post some pictures. I can see it now...after showing off their stacks of Hulk 181's at the next major comic-con CGC forum dinner everyone eats sushi except for MMM who gets a nice plate of Hulk 181.

Hmm Is there enough HG Hulk 181s out there that I could eat a plate full of them? Are you going to buy some so I can eat them?

On topic : I do think that there are dealers, specs, and a handful of collectors that have numerous copies of Hulk 181. As for how many, I have no idea. As for me, I do not even own one copy of Hulk 181, much less short or long boxes of them. I would like to own a copy in 9.4 or better, but I do feel that given a little more time, a few more census updates, and the passing of another X-Men or Wolverine solo movie I will be able to get one cheaper than I can now.

How many Hulk #181s have you seen for sell outside of Ebay and Comic Cons? I have never seen one at a Comic Shop. As I said before NOW would be the time to sell your HG Hulk 181s if you truly believe they would never go up in price. Since there aren't a lot of them being sold I tend to believe there aren't a lot out there. If people still are hoarding boxes of them they are only doing so because they think the value will continue to increase.

Yawn.

On a side note, I have a friend that hordes high-grade ASMs. If he would let me take pictures of them I would.

But at last count he said he had 116 copies of ASM 100, at least 100 of which he claims are 9.4 or better. If it's low grade he gets rid of it. He has no intention of slabbing them now because he doesn't want to sell them.

He literally has dozens of copies of ASM 121, 122, 129, 194, 200, 238, 252, 298-300. Some regular issues he has over 200 copies of - like 153 which seems to be very common in high grade.

He has four complete runs of ASM, and has no intention of selling. Whenever he comes to a convention he usually comes home with another couple of high-grade ASMs he bought from someone's wall or bins.

Having met and known collectors like him, I completely believe that there are people out there sitting on stacks of books that have no interest in selling them. Like your precious Hulk 181s. I'm sure he's got a couple of those too - I'll ask him when I'm over at his place for a BBQ tomorrow night (sunday). I'll bring my digital camera - but no promises - he's pretty secretive.

Kev

He doesn't claim to have them. I've actually seen the box and looked through it.

I didn't sit there and grade every copy though. I don't think I'm suggesting that every copy was a 9.8 or a 9.6, but what I did see appeared to be VF+ and better. I'll take another look tonight if he'll let me.

Kev

If people still are hoarding boxes of them they are only doing so because they think the value will continue to increase.

Are you gonna SELL or.......... HOLD ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, IF I was one of those people with a long box of Hulk #181s in 9.4 or higher condition AND I thought that this IS as high as the price would go I would be selling without a doubt. To do anything else wouldn't make sense in my opinion.

Yawn.

On a side note, I have a friend that hordes high-grade ASMs. If he would let me take pictures of them I would.

But at last count he said he had 116 copies of ASM 100, at least 100 of which he claims are 9.4 or better. If it's low grade he gets rid of it. He has no intention of slabbing them now because he doesn't want to sell them.

He literally has dozens of copies of ASM 121, 122, 129, 194, 200, 238, 252, 298-300. Some regular issues he has over 200 copies of - like 153 which seems to be very common in high grade.

He has four complete runs of ASM, and has no intention of selling. Whenever he comes to a convention he usually comes home with another couple of high-grade ASMs he bought from someone's wall or bins.

Having met and known collectors like him, I completely believe that there are people out there sitting on stacks of books that have no interest in selling them. Like your precious Hulk 181s. I'm sure he's got a couple of those too - I'll ask him when I'm over at his place for a BBQ tomorrow night (sunday). I'll bring my digital camera - but no promises - he's pretty secretive.

Kev

I am not holding my breath waiting to see the pic. However, please ask him what the purpose of have hundreds of copies of any comic if he doesn't intend to sell for profit. You said he has 4 complete runs of ASM. 893whatthe.gif Why??? I consider myself a nut when it comes to collecting comics, but I just don't see why anyone would do what he is doing unless he plans to sell for high profit at some point.

Well, IF I was one of those people with a long box of Hulk #181s in 9.4 or higher condition AND I thought that this IS as high as the price would go I would be selling without a doubt. To do anything else wouldn't make sense in my opinion.

Exactly. In your close-minded, haven't got a penny to rub together, have no idea on the Bronze Age numbers, opinion, you are correct. Of course, if you're currently spending $100K on GA gems, multiples of Hulk 181 would fall well below the radar.

I'll say this once again for the peeps, I have multiples of Wayne Gretzky's OPC rookie card, all NM bought fresh and stored, some of which are absolutely centered, clean cuts and would be top-tier graded. So why don't I sell?

Answer: I don't need the cash, and I like owning a small hoarde.

He doesn't claim to have them. I've actually seen the box and looked through it.

Kev, you're entering dangerous ground here. No one wants to believe what you're saying, as it tramples on their dreams.

Plus, I'm amazed banner hasn't stomped on you for actually having friends who own comics. 893whatthe.gif

Why is disgruntled comic collector JC back in this thread after he stated the following on 10/1?

It's obvious you're a newbie speculator eager to prove to the world that THE most common Bronze Age comic is actually quite rare in grade. Anyone who has been involved with comics long-term knows the deal with Hulk 181, and many have stated just that in this thread.

So I'll leave you to your fantasies and halt this conversation, as it's clear no one else is willing to give you the time of day. By answering I give you an opportunity to spout hot air without a single shred of proof supporting your claim.

I bet you carried the water bottle for your HS debating team, right?

Oh, and have fun living in your Alternate Universe where Hulk 181 is an ultra-rare comic book. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Guess numbnuts got lonely in his Alternate Universe where Hulk 181s are as plentiful as Jim Lee's X-Men #1 and decided to come back to the real world.