• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two KEY Marvels for your viewing pleasure...

55 posts in this topic

Those two examples showcase the main reason I do not Slab and do not Chase a number on a slab. Any one with an open mind would say yours blows the northland pedigree away, unless there is something really wacky going on inside your book that we cant see. And if there was it would have been noted. So outside of restoration check why allow someone else to tell you what a books condition is?

Any way sorry to rant, it just burns me up frankly what is going on in this hobby right now with the number and or pedigree chasing. It has screwd up the CARD COLLECTING HOBBY, and I fear it will do the same with Comics. Collectors especially the younger ones need to learn to respect the great books and the history behind them Whether perfect condition or well loved. I think most of the boardies here have a good sense of a great comic as reflected in the comments directed towards your fine books! You got some really sweet books we would all love to see more of.

Peace.

Bronzilla,

It is what it is. CGC was tough on this book and did not pedigree it even though some of the Janowicz books have certain pedigree characteristics. If you did not note earlier, this is a Janowicz book (one owner newsstand book).

It's an ultra rare white FF1 and looks better, asthetically, than many 8.0s I think. Here's the Northland pedigree FF1 scan for comparison...very nice!

Interesting that the Northland and your book have the same edge dent/chip near the bystander. I wonder if it is a bundling dent?

Hard to tell with different lighting, but yours sure has better eye appeal.

Thanks to Blue808 for cropping my scans (I'm scan illiterate!) and all the warm welcomes and compliments. Burntboy, I attached a BC scan to view. I called CGC on the FF1 and the notes include one chip lower right edge, one corner crease lower right (that breaks color), and one spine crease middle of book spine. That's pretty much it. In the 'ole days, we called this a solid Overstreet VF (2x guide due to white pages & cover). Book in hand, most would grade higher I think. Doesn't matter. It's a killer copy and the AF15 is structurally better with identical paper quality. Both babies get the same TLC!

It's books like these that make me wish CGC would include more detail in their notes as to how they arrived at that grade. What were the graders opinions as they inspected it?

Thanks to Blue808 for cropping my scans (I'm scan illiterate!) and all the warm welcomes and compliments. Burntboy, I attached a BC scan to view. I called CGC on the FF1 and the notes include one chip lower right edge, one corner crease lower right (that breaks color), and one spine crease middle of book spine. That's pretty much it. In the 'ole days, we called this a solid Overstreet VF (2x guide due to white pages & cover). Book in hand, most would grade higher I think. Doesn't matter. It's a killer copy and the AF15 is structurally better with identical paper quality. Both babies get the same TLC!

As far as my collecting history, joeypost, Spidey is king. Picked up a #73 (Man Mountain Marko) at Majic Mart (4 comics pre-bagged for 48 cents) in '68. I was hooked! Sobbed like a baby when 121 hit the stands. First AF15 was a Poor copy for $75. Had 'em all...a complete VF (or better) run of Spidey. In the 80s, it was the CBG (Comic Buyer's Guide) to buy & sell back issues. Bought & sold 'em over the years to finally invest in these 2 gems. Some collectors like quantity but I prefer quality. Best comic investment I ever made? Bought a Spidey #50 in early 80s for $10 (NM/M) and sold it for $5600. Not bad! The hardest SA book to find? Showcase 22 in 6.0 or better with nice pages...

All in all, buy what you enjoy and enjoy what you buy. I'm pleased to meet everyone and please share your scans!

PeeWee, thanks for the BC scan......... (thumbs u

i hadn't realized that the small line in the LRC was a color breaking crease - had thought it was part of the artwork for some reason. the small chip out of the right edge by the fire hydrant is a bummer. the BC looks pretty sweet except for some spine bends.

i still think it looks better than a 6.5 and with the great WHITE cover and white pages, i'd grade it at a 7.0+.

still a sweet, sweet copy of a great SA Key. Congrats again........... :acclaim:

i'm gonna have to take a look at my OO copy of Showcase #22. i know it's not HG, but it's pretty decent. although i seem to recall that the FC was almost opaque........... :(

Bronzilla/Zipper68,

I used the Northland as a comparison because the books appear to be similar in some aspects. Note the edge chip and lower right corner crease on both books. And note the edge chipping top of Northland and it's flawless spine. I think both scans are honest with no smoke or mirrors. Trust me, I can't even crop a scan so it is what it is. The whiteness in my book is for REAL. CGC looked it over and BT'd it. No restoration, cleaning, solvent bath, or chemicals added. The matched pages further support this. And no transfer stains inside the covers.

As far as pedigreeing books, I have no idea how CGC pedigrees books or what characteristics warrant pedigree status.

I found Mr. Janowicz in NY. Here is Mr. J's recent email response to me about the book and himself:

Brannon - Yes, I was the one and only owner of the Fantastic Four #1 comic that was recently auctioned through Heritage. I originally bought it at a local corner store in my neighborhood when I was 13 years old. I kept it at my Dad's house until recently when he passed and I decided to sell my comic collection.

If you bought it through Heritage, I must compliment you because I believe that the value of the book (even though it was graded) exceeds what it is. The pages are white and the book overall, having been shown to two prominent dealers (Empire Comics in Rochester and Dave Belmont, Comics Etc, in Los Angeles (while visiting here). Both have said that "this is one of the cleanest and best copies of the book they ever saw".

I was sorry to sell it, but as I am retiring soon and possibly moving with my wife to another state. I wanted to find a new home for my comics and picked Heritage Auctions which is the #1 comic auction house in my opinion.

Please keep in touch with me, send a photo of you and the book if possible. Your e-mail makes me feel connected and I am pleased that you wrote. And, Heritage is selling more of my collection so please keep a watch on that for other great books that were "one owner only".

Best regards,

Joseph Janowicz

Thanks to all on the nice compliments!

Say hello for us or perhaps direct him to these boards. I'm looking forward to the next wave of books and might add a few to my collection. (thumbs u

As far as my collecting history, joeypost, Spidey is king. Picked up a #73 (Man Mountain Marko) at Majic Mart (4 comics pre-bagged for 48 cents) in '68. I was hooked! Sobbed like a baby when 121 hit the stands. First AF15 was a Poor copy for $75. Had 'em all...a complete VF (or better) run of Spidey. In the 80s, it was the CBG (Comic Buyer's Guide) to buy & sell back issues. Bought & sold 'em over the years to finally invest in these 2 gems. Some collectors like quantity but I prefer quality. Best comic investment I ever made? Bought a Spidey #50 in early 80s for $10 (NM/M) and sold it for $5600. Not bad! The hardest SA book to find? Showcase 22 in 6.0 or better with nice pages...

All in all, buy what you enjoy and enjoy what you buy. I'm pleased to meet everyone and please share your scans!

I had a love for Spidey early on in my collecting. Right now $$$ keeps me out of putting together a run. I'm hooked on Bronze Age marvel for the moment.

Thanks for sharing (thumbs u and hope you stay as a long time resident of these boards.

Hey Comic fans....here's two KEY Marvels (raw) to drool over...I just recently purchased the FF1 from Heritage (CGC Blue 6.5 with WHITE pages and cover...the Janowicz copy). I unslabbed it and was asked to scan the unslabbed version so here it is...I also attached my AF15 that I've had for ages...and yes, that IS the pages arcing/bowing on the outside edge of the AF15 scan..white as snow!

My gosh I was sweating bullets pulling these puppies from the mylars so enjoy!!

:takeit: :takeit: (that's a double "I'll take it!")

peewee22...gorgeous books! What grade would you put on the AF 15? Looks at least 8.0 to me and I assume you either know by purchase or have had it checked that there is no restoration (?). Thanks for sharing!

I have an FF 1 that I paid 50-cents for in 1971...probably about a 3.0 but looks a little better than that as far as eye appeal goes...

Can't think right now of the best deal I've ever made but I have X-Men 1 in approx. 7.0 grade that I purchased off the newsstand so if I ever sell it that will probably be my biggest profit deal...

AF15 is at least an U-8.0 with incredible paper quality.

Wow...X-Men#1 purchased off the stands??? I'm impressed!!

Man, someone IS older than me around here!!

I was a sophomore in high school when I bought the FF in 1971...I'm a young 52...

(I have a pic from about a year-half ago at bottom of p.158 in the What Do You Look Like Thread...)

Well theres the back cover, And it is seemingly in great shape. Did the graders notes give you any clue as to the seemingly low number?

there's a chip out of the right edge...otherwise pretty darn perfect.