• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a 9.4 copy of Amazing Adventures #11 really a 5x book?

9 posts in this topic

It's not a key by any stretch, but was once an "unknown" book with the first app. of the mutated Beast and a black cover. So naturally prices rose during the 90's, but I personally feel the comic is now quite overvalued and is purely driven by hype.

It is a great book to flip if you can find a HG copy, but I would not put it anywhere near the same ZIP Code as a true Bronze Age key/first app.

i do think it is a key, but a minor key. Any x-men appearance during their hiatus is at least worth notice, and that one is the most special of the bunch. Its events have ramifications for the next 30+ years, so that is a key. As for 5x guide, i wouldn't pay it! I have a 9.0 i am very happy with and paid about 110% guide for it, i think 3x for a true 9.4 would be plenty.

Amazing Adventures 11 was essentially a throw-away book for quite some time.

By the time collectors caught up with the semi-significance of this issue(near the end of the Byrne/Claremont run)...many were tossed, stepped on, used as Tp, etc.

Because of this, this issue is relatively difficult to find in high-grade, plus it has the black cover.

Ewert definitely has NICE books up lately...

he has consistently been putting up killer books for the last several months...Other than comiclink, i have not seen too many other dealers that have had such nice copies (and yes i do know that ewert's books are not all his...doesn't matter).

While 5x is a little high (2x is okay), those black cover Bronze Age keys/semi-keys are very tough to find in high grade. Unslabbed VF/NM or better copies (sometimes even VF+) go for over guide on a regular basis for books like Ghost Rider #1, Marvel Spotlight #5, Marvel Premiere #15, etc, and I bet that most of those books are at least a quarter grade lower than actually stated (law of averages on eBay, unfortunately). I pick up any cheap VF or better copies that I can get my hands on.