• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Marvel # 2 apparent over-graded eBay purchase what would you do?

28 posts in this topic

As some of you folks, may know I've mentioned that I have been looking for a complete, nice low grade copy of Captain Marvel Adventures # 2. I was the high bidder of the copy that was recently on eBay. I paid $457 for it. Seller lives in Germany. Seller advertised the book as VG.

The book arrived recently with a stamped final notice from the Post office. For some unknown reason, it was going to be sent back to the seller if I didn't pick it up from the Post office which I did. None of this is the fault of the seller.

However, when I received the book, I thought it looked much smaller than a Golden Age book of that time should. I compared the book with a nicer (and more expensive copy on Metropolis and another on eBay, and the book appears to be trimmed. The seller had a decent scan up, but I honestly didn't notice the trimming.

The link is below, as well of scans that just made. I don't think I can get a refund from the seller. First, he lives in Germany, and just getting the book here in the States was stressful in dealing with the Post Office nearly sending it back. Second, while he obviously over graded it, he had a decent scan up.

I'm not sure how to grade the book. I assume I overpaid for it, but if not by much then it's not such a big deal. Any thoughts as to what the grade/book value would be?

I might just sell it on eBay and see what I can get. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Captain Marvel # 2 on eBay

Here are my scans. I can't post them for some reason, but links are below:

Captain Marvel # 2 front

captain marvel 2 back

You must have been very excited about buying this because I see you left several bids.

Did you happen to ask any questions before you bid? The seller really doesn't say anything at all, doesn't say it's complete, doesn't say what guide he's using for pricing.

It might be trimmed and it's not VG. Did you count the pages? Page quality looks iffy, too.

I'm not sure that you can do anything, unless the seller gave incorrect information in an email...but I am sorry you were disappointed.

The book has 64 pages, as indicated on the cover. However, the Grand Comics database lists the book as 68 pages.One of the short stories refers the reader to page 65, which leads me to believe that pages are missing.

I'm thinking of re-auctioning it as a Poor/Fair. It's a solid copy decent looking copy, but it ain't VG. I don't think I can do much here. Maybe get some of my money back from the re-sale.

The book has 64 pages, as indicated on the cover. However, the Grand Comics database lists the book as 68 pages.One of the short stories refers the reader to page 65, which leads me to believe that pages are missing.

I'm thinking of re-auctioning it as a Poor/Fair. It's a solid copy decent looking copy, but it ain't VG. I don't think I can do much here. Maybe get some of my money back from the re-sale.

If you can't return it, sit on the book for a while, don't sell it so quickly after buying it, you'll lose a lot. Always do as much research about the item and the seller as you can.

Go through paypal, they can sometimes help especially if the seller either doesn't respond at all or you have some documentation that he does have a return policy. Takes a few weeks though so patience is key and obviously don't sell the book int he meantime.

Ed

Yeah, the seller doesn't really give you any information on the book. That in itself should have raised the red flags. If you didn't ask any questions about the book, then I think it is your responsibility.

Sorry it happened. Chalk it up to stupid tax. We all pay it or have paid it sometime.

yep, another ebayer swindled by Wilhelm Uthe...sorry to hear

gator

Sad but true. Last I've heard there was actually some type of legal action being taken against this seller by the German authorities but honestly, until this guy is caught, I refuse to by ANYTHING from Germany. He makes new accounts like white trash on welfare makes new kids.

Thanks for all of the opinions and support, I appreciate it. I probably will re-sell it. Anyone have thoughts as to how to grade it? I think there might be pages missing as one of the stories refers the reader to p. 65 (which isn't there). I'm really not sure if the book is complete- though the front cover does say there is 64 pages.

Thanks for all of the opinions and support, I appreciate it. I probably will re-sell it. Anyone have thoughts as to how to grade it? I think there might be pages missing as one of the stories refers the reader to p. 65 (which isn't there). I'm really not sure if the book is complete- though the front cover does say there is 64 pages.

It's possible that the referenced page was a typo (or is it writo?), or that pages 1 and 2 are the front and inside cover. Do the number of pages for each story match what's in the GCD?

I have a copy of that comic.

Do you want me to count the pages in my book?

pg 65 should be the interior back cover?

pg 65 should be the interior back cover?

Yes.

The comic has 64 numbered pages.