• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I fear the worst... Trimming... Any ASM 28 experts out there?

23 posts in this topic

I always have heard the rumors that ASM 28 was one of the most messed with issues of all time...

And I thought I finally found a nice F+ copy... :censored:

ASM28Ts.jpg

I scanned it over a issue of ASM 25 so the color contrast would show.

Yellow/Black works well.

Looks like I'm missing a 1/8 inch off the right and bottom.

Top looks OK due to overhang so I think the top/bottom trim came off the bottom.

I also compared it to my beater ASM 28 and it was short too.

:sorry:

Can anyone confirm it's not some strange printing defect associated with this issue?

:(

That outer edge sure looks spiffy, too spiffy when compared to the spine. I take it this book has no "V" effect whatsoever? Hard to tell from a scan, is a BC scan possible to compare overhang?

The size does not bother me as much as how clean it looks. And have you checked it for CT as well?

Ze-

I checked the insides and noticed:

1) Staples look OK and book doesn't appear to have been disassembled unless they did a super job putting them back in place.

2) Book is mis-wrapped on the inside. First eight pages have some of the story art trimmed into while the last eight have a large white margin along the right side.

Haven't pulled out the black light yet.

Will do that now... :whistle:

I'll chect for the "V" effect too.

I hope it is not trimmed and you are happy with it.

And NO it's not because I want your undercopy.

lol

Looks like you'll have to wait.

My black light died.

Cheap "made in China" krap!

Anybody know a were to buy a good one that isn't too expensive? :shy:

Looking again at the edges:

Top looks good with a little over-hang in place with a inwards "V" effect.

Bottom and right right edge look bad with absolutely no over-hang and the pages look razor smooth (No "V"), like a paperback book.

Do you plan to confront the seller now that you've sold it?

In response to the above post. You're not saying that CGC can detect all trimming are you? I think someone named Ewert would disagree.

No.

I expected a full refund if it didn't sell here.

It was Heritage and I bought a bunch of other stuff that was A-OK including a sweet Fine ASM 25 and that TTA 40 I posted in the SA TTA thread.

I will contune buying from them. They are my number two favorite spot behind this place. eBay keeps getting worse hiding the shill bidders on anything good.

I bought lots of raw stuff off them over the years and this was the first time I spotted restro/trimming but most of the stuff I buy is mid-grade and $50 - $100 Fines aren't normally the target of monkey business.

It's just the cursed issue; ASM 28 is the most restored book in the SA short of some of the big Keys like AF 15.

I'm not sure that comparing the size of a book with another, even if it's the same issue, is a reliable method to detect trimming... :gossip:

It isn't. :sumo:

Not the final straw no, but it made me suspicious.

The scan was the only thing I could post here.

The perfectly smooth right and bottom edges won't scan well.

:insane:

No.

It was Heritage and I bought a bunch of other stuff that was A-OK including a sweet Fine ASM 25 and that TTA 40 I posted in the SA TTA thread.

I will contune buying from them. They are my number two favorite spot behind this place. eBay keeps getting worse hiding the shill bidders on anything good.

I bought lots of raw stuff off them over the years and this was the first time I spotted restro/trimming but most of the stuff I buy is mid-grade and $50 - $100 Fines aren't normally the target of monkey business.

It's just the cursed issue; ASM 28 is the most restored book in the SA short of some of the big Keys like AF 15.

I would advocate at least notifying them. Even if you don't want compensation, they might like to know that their source had a possibly trimmed book.

Well at least you don't have evidence of a "worm hole" in it. (yes, it appears as though some sort of bug made a nice little hole in mine. I'll have to post a scan some time.

Sorry to hear you got hosed with a trim job on this issue- definitely a hard one to find in a really presentable condition.

No.

I would advocate at least notifying them. Even if you don't want compensation, they might like to know that their source had a possibly trimmed book.

I agree.