• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chasing a war comic collection from the 70s

53 posts in this topic

I guess I'll provide an update of sorts. I have an appointment to look at the books tonight. Thought I might have missed out on the them as I was too busy this past weekend, but it turned out the seller was busy as well, so I think I'm still first in line.

Seller says he has about 1100 books up for sale. Trying to think of an opening offer based on that number of comics...

Keep an eye out for War That Time Forgot Issues In Star Spangled War Stories and some Weird War Tales. These feature great Dinosaur covers and stories.

Also early issues of Sgt. Fury featuring origin of eye patch etc.

I myself would be interested in Unkown Soldier issues and Charlton War Comics

Thanks & Best Wishes

Cortez

So I have seen the collection, and I passed on everything. The condition of the books varied mostly from fair to fine. The books that everyone here would have been most interested in were in the low grade range. We were very far a part in price as well. He essentially wanted $2 to $3 per book and he had 1000 or so books.

Despite this, it was still a lot of fun, as we just talked about comics for about a hour. It was sweet looking at all the cool art on the covers as well. Ah well... time to look for another collection.

So I have seen the collection, and I passed on everything. The condition of the books varied mostly from fair to fine. The books that everyone here would have been most interested in were in the low grade range. We were very far a part in price as well. He essentially wanted $2 to $3 per book and he had 1000 or so books.

Despite this, it was still a lot of fun, as we just talked about comics for about a hour. It was sweet looking at all the cool art on the covers as well. Ah well... time to look for another collection.

You going back to take the books when he's off to work? :whistle:

Probably best if he sells these to someone who's ignorant. That way, he should get his asking price.

Andy

You going back to take the books when he's off to work? :whistle:

No I already managed to stuff a majority of the key books down my pants without him noticing.

:jokealert:

I really didn't think anyone would be interested in what he had so I quickly decided to not even consider buying the issues you guys were asking for. The more valuable books were low grade (stains, missing pieces, creases, rips, water) and a lot of the charltons were missing covers.

GI Combat 82,83,91-93,98-107,116,120,122,123,125,129,133,135-221

He wanted someone to buy all, or atleast to buy complete runs. His opening price for this run was $400. Nothing wrong with his price at all. They are his books, and it turned out he really just wanted to see what interest was out there for his books... and he wasn't desperate to sell. So I ended up grading some books for him to give him an idea of what he had, and I suggested he keep them for another 20 years.