• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who are the Top 10 current artists?

51 posts in this topic

Yeah, Cassaday's Wolverine and Beast are certainly unique... I happen to really like them a lot. Something about Cat Beast in a suit just cracks me up. I also dig how Whedon and Cassaday treat Wolvie in a humorous fashion.

Any way, my random list of current favorites:

Eric Powell

John Cassaday

Bryan Hitch

Darwyn Cooke

Jim Lee

Alex Ross

Tony Moore

Ryan Ottley

Frank Quitely

Cary Nord (really curious to see his work now that he's off Conan)

-Bob

Edit: Really nice to see other lists too. I've never seen any of Ribic's work but damn! Need to check that out!

Maybe somebody can define this topic for me. Are we talking about our favorite artists -- in which case, I understand why Frazetta, Wrightson and so on might make the list...or the top currently-doing-substantial-work artists?

If we're addressing the past fifty years, absolutely, several of the names here make the list. If we're talkin' artists that are pulling their paychecks from their current comic art, I think you have to scratch Frazetta, Wrightson, McFarlane and so on.

Maybe somebody can define this topic for me. Are we talking about our favorite artists -- in which case, I understand why Frazetta, Wrightson and so on might make the list...or the top currently-doing-substantial-work artists?

If we're addressing the past fifty years, absolutely, several of the names here make the list. If we're talkin' artists that are pulling their paychecks from their current comic art, I think you have to scratch Frazetta, Wrightson, McFarlane and so on.

Yeah... really too much of a broad range topic. And what's current, really? I mean, McFarlane hasn't really drawn much of anything in the last 5-10 years, so if we're calling this "top/favorite active artists" I wouldn't include him. But if this is Top 10 highest priced modern-era artists, I'd definitely include him. If we're going for Top 10 highest priced / most desired artists of the moment, then all the old school greats Kevin listed would qualify I guess.

-Bob

Hey, tatterdemalion --

Won't give you hell about Tim Bradstreet. In fact, I'd agree with you.

Yeah, I know the gripe about the guy's "artistic process". I also know, if comic OA was considered fine art, not a gallery in the world would care.

I don't care, either. He does some great, dynamic stuff.

My understanding was for a listing based on contemporary artists actively illustrating (rather than artists still alive, who may or may not be actively producing work) . . . if you see what I mean?

My understanding was for a listing based on contemporary artists actively illustrating (rather than artists still alive, who may or may not be actively producing work) . . . if you see what I mean?

Exactly...that's the message I got as well

Guy Davis gets no love (shrug)

I give him love! He is great, as a kid I hated his art in Sandman Mystery Theatre but currently he is maybe top fourteen, Sean Phillips as well. Someone start a Top Fourteen Contemporary Artists Currently Working In Comics Not Just Doing An Occasional Con Sketch thread pronto!

Leinil Yu anyone? He's my favorite right now (his better work is on Ult. Wolv vs Hulk rather than New Avengers, but still really good). followed by:

Ed McGuinness

Steve McNiven

Coipel

Sean Phillips

Michael Turner (though I don't think He's doing much right now)

Epting

Cassaday

Finch

and Humberto Ramos!