• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long running series that didn't or don't get much notice...

11 posts in this topic

One of my favorite Marvel series was Marvel Comics Presents which lasted for 175 issues. A lot of cool artists got their first work on this title. Some of the stories like "God Loves, Man Kills" and the Wolverine "Weapon-X" origin saga were quite well written. Some of the Barry Windsor-Smith Weapon-X covers are among my favorite Wolverine covers of all time.

Femforce is still going strong at 140 issues. Here is a cover gallery...

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-gallery.asp?p=4&tid=5781

Other 'under the radar' series include Ninja High School and Mag size series like Heavy Metal and 2000 AD, the latter now past 1,500 issues.

And then there is Sunday Pix aka Pix.

Earl.

The Defenders were pretty much blah except for the first dozen issues or so. Master of Kug Fu lasted awhile but had no real impact (whatever happened to Paul Gulacy BTW?) Mike Zeck got his start with that title as well.

I don't know if it's as 'under the radar' as those series listed above, but Hellblazer is quietly approaching the 20 year mark.

I'm 35! :grin:

But yes, I was thinking that too. Mind you, with a second movie very likely on the way, it's hard to say it hasn't received much attention.

As for 2000AD, it seems to have provided a talent scouting service for the US comics industry for decades! So many legendary writers and artists did their first work there. Alan Moore, Simon Bisley, Grant Morrison, Brian Bolland, Bryan Talbot, Garth Ennis, Alan Grant, Dave Gibbons, Peter Milligan, etc, etc, etc!

It's a shame 2000AD is just that tiny bit too wide for CGC to accommodate. I have most issues from 1 to 350 and there are some fantastic covers for display :cloud9: