• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AMAZING SPIDEY 1 9.6

115 posts in this topic

Hindsight is always perfect isn't it? At the time the books were bought, prices were up and up - looked like no ceiling. Crazy prices were being paid for almost all high grade Marvels. Then the economy took a turn and we decided to have a war with Iraq - gas down here is at $1.75 already! As I understand it there was a plan to hold the book for a few years and that had to be changed to do cash flow problems the buyer had unexpectedly. You have to remember that this guy is in a different league than most folks and diversifying investments this way looked like a good idea. Someone with that kind of money would not be investing in 8.0 and 9.0 books so the ultra high grade is where there is the most potential for gain - and most risk for loss. Maybe this guy is a bit of a gambler and unexpected changes forced him to sell short so to speak. But I do not think you can blame anything on bad advice.

I will never be convinced that buying Spider-Mans in the midst of the pre-movie hype was ever a good idea. Paying the absolute highest price you will ever pay is too risky, expecially when anyone with half a brain could look around and say- "Wow, Spider-Mans are really hot right now because of all this pre-movie hype." In six months things will definitely calm down.

I undesrtand the rest- how he was planning to "buy and hold" and unforseen events took him out. I got that part. I still think diving in with a million bucks into the heart of the maelstrom and buying spideys at the highest prices you could possibly pay is unwise from an investment perspective. If you're paying 20% extra because of pre-movie hype, that's 20% extra you have to make up after the hype is ended and everything returns to normal (as he is learning right now.)

excellent point CT about the guy being in a different league

i always wondered What If bill gates was into comics? you know ,geeky guy, into funny books but looks like he was more into computers

someone in gates league could buy tommy b's collection 2x over with prob what would amount to gates monthly allowance for his kids

its all relative really

so all these wanna be BSD's (who make up prob 95% of the market ) who keep having a severe case of verbal diarrhoea about the CGC crash, go back into your wanna be BSD world and let the true BSD's ($100K on funny books a year) play their game -to them its all really a game of egos and one upmanship- they can afford to lose a few thousand to ten thousand, here and there, maybe more , to them its chump change

If i was Tommy B..i would be doing the exact same thing as him...why not? Since when a FF 1 in 9.6 going to go down? After a movie? Please! These early marvels in 9.4+ are in just too much in demand and are too scarce to cool off.And no they are not going to crash like a bad stock so stop panicing,People sell huge books for different reasons,I sold some nice silver age stuff so i could get my own apartment,not because they were all going to go down.Everyone needs money at some point and selling comics is quick cash.this is not the sport card industry,i don't think you people realize how popular these superheros are going to be,the better then movie,the popular the charchater.Spiderman hasn't been this popular since the early 90's when Mcfarlane was all over him.if you think these books are overpriced,then don't pay it..simple,if you don't pay it,someone else will.Buyers set prices.

There r a lot of parallels between comics & sportscard industries. They r usually both sold in the same hobby store. Slabbed comics r being hyped thru the yin-yang now w/ strong results on eBay & at big auction houses the last 2.5 yrs. Let's watch the sell thru at the Heritage Dec/02 auction. I GUARANTEE they will list Buy it Now bargain bin prices again to increase the sell thru ratio. When the stock mkt, mutual funds goes down & ppl start losing their jobs, they will BAIL out of the comic hobby FAST b/c it is built on DISCRETIONARY income: fun money.

Yeah, some of the people on here sound like they need their nose stuffed in a Basic Economics text, then only allowed to put it down after demonstrating a rudimentary grasp of the subject matter.

I collect comics for fun, but anyone buying CGC comics for monetary gain is gonna get burnt, probably past the point of recognition.

If somebody from outside the hobby came to you in March/April 2002 and said "I want to spend $300,000 on comics for a 2 to 3 year investment. I want you to buy and sell the comics for me. Which comics should we buy?" What would you tell them? Assume you'd get a cut of the revenues generated from the eventual sale.

the owner of the Spiderman #1 9.4 THAT DID NOT SELL IN THE LAST AUCTION (although thyey made it look like it sold) is the same person who owns the high grade run in the next auction. That is a fact, not speculation. On a related note, I can't believe that people are making a big deal of a 9.9 Spiderman #19. #19 is the most common issue is the first 20.