• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonathan Ross' STEVE DITKO Documentary on YouTube

40 posts in this topic

Overall I enjoyed this documentary. I realize that most of the show should focus on Spidey - after all that was Ditko's most popular strip.

I would have liked to see a few minutes of discussuion about Ditko's pre-hero Altas stuff. To me, that was his best work.

Maybe there will be a DVD release with some bonus footage on this.

Again, its a fun show to watch.

Bill

Overall I enjoyed this documentary. I realize that most of the show should focus on Spidey - after all that was Ditko's most popular strip.

I would have liked to see a few minutes of discussion about Ditko's pre-hero Altas stuff. To me, that was his best work.

Bill

Yes, it was a great fan piece. I would like to see another documentary (or book/article) made on Ditko from a scholarly point of comic art history with more of his early life. The period wherein Kirby and Ditko join the "comic book company with no name" in 1958 seems to be shrouded by the passage of time.

I collect Silver Age Marvel and my collecting interests especially come alive at the point where the Atlas logo disappears, along with Maneely's covers, and we are blessed with the works of Kirby, Heck and, of course, Ditko.

My 12¢

Dennis

I would have liked to see a few minutes of discussion about Ditko's pre-hero Altas stuff. To me, that was his best work.

Bill

Yes, it was a great fan piece. I would like to see another documentary (or book/article) made on Ditko from a scholarly point of comic art history with more of his early life. The period wherein Kirby and Ditko join the "comic book company with no name" in 1958 seems to be shrouded by the passage of time.

I collect Silver Age Marvel and my collecting interests especially come alive at the point where the Atlas logo disappears, along with Maneely's covers, and we are blessed with the works of Kirby, Heck and, of course, Ditko.

My 12¢

Dennis

Don't you like the Atlas stuff/Maneely's art? :o

Love the Atlas stuff!

Mister Trent - That Astonishing cover you have in your gallery is gorgeous. As a matter of fact, I've been meaning to compliment you on the high quality of your gallery overall. You've managed to collect some real treasures.

Bill

Okay, thanks.

Bill

My 12¢

Dennis

I have an appreciation for all vintage comic art. But in the 'what if' school of history, if Maneely had not died, would there have been a job available for Kirby or Ditko at Atlas? And, if not, would there had been any Marvel Age of Comics?

So to me, this time in 1958 is the key transition period for what would be Marvel.

On an artistic-appreciation level, I believe that Kirby and Ditko created their art with an understanding of how colour worked. Maneely drew as if his pencils would be the final presentation. When Maneely was inked and coloured, his work looks to me as if it is dark and 'over-inked'.

To put it another way, Maneely's work looks finished in black and white -- but muddy when in colour. Kirby and Ditko can look incomplete in black and white (see Essentials) but complete in the original colours.

My 12¢

Dennis

To put it another way, Maneely's work looks finished in black and white -- but muddy when in colour. Kirby and Ditko can look incomplete in black and white (see Essentials) but complete in the original colours.

My 12¢

Dennis

Essentials is not a good determinant for the art. Seeing the originals - especially in twice-up size, brings an entirely new dimension and appreciation for not only Kirby and Ditko, but for the inkers such as Sinnott, Shores, Stone, Giacoia, etc.

On a larger scale, the best example I can think of is when you actually see Michaelangelo's 'David.' You see all of these replicas all over the world, but when you're actually standing in front of the work, it really is transcendental - even for a jaded American such as myself.

Looking at a great Ditko or Kirby page in Essentials is one thing - seeing the original in person is just a totally different experience.

It's why some of us go cuckoo and spend all of our money on it.

Bill

My 12¢

Dennis

I have an appreciation for all vintage comic art. But in the 'what if' school of history, if Maneely had not died, would there have been a job available for Kirby or Ditko at Atlas? And, if not, would there had been any Marvel Age of Comics?

So to me, this time in 1958 is the key transition period for what would be Marvel.

On an artistic-appreciation level, I believe that Kirby and Ditko created their art with an understanding of how colour worked. Maneely drew as if his pencils would be the final presentation. When Maneely was inked and coloured, his work looks to me as if it is dark and 'over-inked'.

My 12¢

Dennis

Understand your points, but it's nothing more than speculation that "had Maneely lived" the Silver Age of Marvel, complemented by Kirby and Ditko, might not have been . . .

Your thoughts, on how some artists work with color in mind (for the final presentation of the comic-book printing) can be seen to apply to a lot of other publishing outfits. I'm a big fan of the EC books. Artists like Johnny Craig and Harvey Kurtzman worked with color as a consideration. Other artists (like Wally Wood, Jack Davis and Graham Ingels) produced work that (not unlike Maneely) would be obscured by the addition of color (muddy?) To me, that's more down to the lousy printing processes/primitive use of color - than any fault of the artist.

Lovely documentary. Seeing their faces after they met Ditko was priceless. Hearing Mark Millar and Alan Moore was a treat as well.

Truly, and utterly fantastic!

I had heard about this piece some time back through a friend who appeared in the documentary, but had no idea that it was a such a broad and emcompassing piece of comic documentary.

Something for all us to treasure, and reflect on.

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

Lovely documentary. Seeing their faces after they met Ditko was priceless. Hearing Mark Millar and Alan Moore was a treat as well.

Truly, and utterly fantastic!

I had heard about this piece some time back through a friend who appeared in the documentary, but had no idea that it was a such a broad and emcompassing piece of comic documentary.

Something for all us to treasure, and reflect on.

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

Nice to read some positives after the stick that this documentary got before it was even aired.

Clem..

Well worth watching :)

I must ask Trent (resident big Ditko fan) were there any revelations?

Best.

- A

It was good to see many long-held views about Ditko's pivotal role in the co-creation and devolpment of Spider-Man being endorsed and confirmed by many top creators.

The documentary should be force-fed to those people who tend to dismiss Ditko (i.e. the, "Gee, I like Spidey, but I just don't get Ditko?" species of so-called fan) without having any real insight into his work.

Is it me, or did anyone else who watched the documentary get the feeling Stan Lee and John Romita looked uncomfortable with the thrust of the interviews they were faced with? In the sense, the makers were focussed on Ditko's genius - not Lee or Romita's . . .

Only real disappointment for me was that no mention was made of CAPTAIN ATOM - which was Ditko's first superhero series (pre-dating ASM).