• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Authentic OA?

13 posts in this topic

So I always wondered, how do you know that

the "hot" comic art that you are buying is the real one

and not a professional forgery???

hm

Buy it directly from the artist or from a reputable dealer.

It's a legit question, Nerf. I think as the big money continues to get bigger for the blue chip pages, the potential for forgeries will increase. Big money tends to beget big con jobs.

In the past year we've seen the infamous "Ditka" ASM page that had everyone a-twitter. And Marvel has commissioned artists to "recreate" pages for the Masterworks editions. One such artist has his Ditko ASM, Kirby Pre-hero, and other recreations for sale through a web site, and although they aren't absolutely perfect, they are pretty darned good. So if this guy can recreate a page pretty closely, then there'll probably eventually somebody setting up a shop in Asia with lightboxes to try to do the same. The thought makes me shudder.

I'm on the fence about the idea that a CGC-type certification or Mannino-type authentication is the answer, but I don't know what is the answer -- so maybe that's as good as we get. And if forgeries start cropping up en masse, then we may be forced to have such a service authenticate things.

Buying from reputable dealers is certainly a start (as opposed to sellers in Oregon who find rare OA in the attic... :P ). For older art, there should be a comics code stamp and in some cases there will be a Marvel copyright stamp. But those things are also fake-able.

Having a knowledgeable community that keeps its eyes out for scams is also a great thing. We all have to stick together on this because we are often our best resource.

CCG is not getting into that. Not onlt that, there is no way I am giving up collecting OA (tsk)

I think what the Mannarino's wanted to do was a great 1st step. It would have evolved from there.

It will have to be done at some point, prices are too high, and when that happens, the crooks always come out..... :frustrated: