• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CDNP 33 Classic Cover GOOD DEAL ???

7 posts in this topic

Curious to see if this was a good deal....Crime Does Not Pay # 33 with minor wear and that little chip out of the front cover...$215....looks like maybe a FINE from the scans.

I have no idea what the Overstreet value is....isn't this one that doesn't come along very often ?? Thoughts please ???

crime33front.jpg

crime33back.jpg

This book has a FINE Overstreet value of $138, and is designated as a "Classic Cover". All issues of CDNP rarely surface in high grade....your copy is about as good as it gets for most issues. This title is one of the most desirable in the "crime" genre, which has plenty of room for growth as the books are really cool looking, and fairly scarce. Crime just has to come back in vogue for it to really take off.

Your copy should definitely benefit from being CGC graded to maximize its value / liquidity if you ever decide to trade or sell. As for the cover art....there is always a pretty strong market for women about to be chopped up with a meat cleaver ( I am being serious ), as it has that pre-SOTI edge to it. It also looks like this book has nice PQ......and nice PQ is :cloud9:

Nice condition Soti-esq "hot chick about to be chopped up" Classic Cover of a scarce issue for $215?.....all day long (thumbs u

Steve

I know that book just ended on ebay and was sold by a reputable dealer who comes up with great books consistently. That said, personally I do not like the flaws in that book and although the "technical" grade with the mystical GA formula may be F, that book to me is no where near high grade so I would not be paying anything near a HG premium for that book. i have found that being patient wiht these types of crime books pays off, and you can frequently score these books when around F for a good price (except for something like CDNP #24).

GPA shows that book does sell at a nice price for grades 7.5 and higher, and it is probably justified given the reasons stated above. However, I would guess that this book is not too difficult to find raw in that shape; I doubt most would send it in to get slabbed. It will be several years before we know whether a CGC 6.0 commands any kind of HG premium on this book, although I doubt it because there are already 10 in the census 6.0 or higher, and 5 8.5 or higher (4 9.0's).

It was a fair price for the book. WIth the exception of the classic covers and earlier numbers, CDNP doesn't sell very well, even in higher grades. Also, early issues are tough in high grade with the exception of number 27, which was a warehouse find.

A nice price for a collector - but probably not if you plan to resell soon. I tend to follow this book on ebay with the idea of upgrading my copy one day (looks VG/F - but a chunk torn out of one interior page). It tends to sell for 2X guide more or less in the lower-mid grades.