• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should VF/NM CGC silver be priced by the overstreet 9.4 price?

5 posts in this topic

Back in the early days of CGC all of the high grade books, 9.0s included, would sell for a multiple of the Overstreet 9.4 price. Now that Overstreet has a 9.0 price when you are selling a CGC 9.0 on ebay should you price it along the lines of the 9.4 price or the new 9.4? Does it make a difference if you are buying or selling? What about rare books vs common. You wouldn't sell a 9.0 JIM for less that the 9.4 price but what about a 9.0 Tales of Suspense 80? Or a poplular title but not a rare book like a 9.0 ASM 43? Lots to discuss so get to it 27_laughing.gif

Eric

I think you should price them according to market value...and I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, either.

a 9.0 ASM 50 is going to sell for around 9.4 O/S price, a DD 7 9.0 is going to go over OS 9.4 price, and a Iron Man 1 9.0 SHOULD go for under OS 9.0 price.

It all depends on the book - the demand, the scarceness in grade, the artist(sometimes).

I don't think it is ever a good idea to lay blanket statements about silver age pricing because you have such far reaching poles of pricing.

I honestly believe with eBay - OS pricing is largely irrelevant. I mean when you have to ask if you should price a 9.0 as a 9.4......Something is broken. wink.gif

Most Marve Silver-Age titles sell for close to the NM (9.4) Overstreet guide price in CGC 9.0. The only title significantly below this is X-Men, while JIM sells significantly above. I am not including the late Silver-Age titles like Iron-Man, Cap. America etc. just the early titles include TOS, TTA, Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, etc.

Basically, there is still a premium attached to most Marvel Silver-Age books in VF/NM or better. Obviously, the higher the grade, the bigger the premium.

I think, as others have pointed out, that it kind of depends on the book. But for most Marvel silver, I don't see 9.0 always even equaling full Overstreet 9.4. Sometimes (like JIMs) it means more, but often times, 9.0s isn't going to mean more. I don't see 9.0s spideys going for 9.4 OS value... nor do I think they should. I think there's enough 9.0s out there to meet demand... and some of the graded 9.0s (too many) don't have quality eye appeal.